Sunday, March 31, 2024

Eyes and more

It was a busy day yesterday. We got to Costco at 10am. No wait at the membership desk, so we got our cards quickly, along with a bag of "goodies", mostly samples of Costco snacks. One of the items was a k-cup of Kirkland brand coffee, so that is what I am trying out this morning in my coffee cup. Tastes good. The lady at the membership desk also said, if I don't earn at least $60 in cash back on the executive membership, to come and talk to them and they would credit it anyway.

We then checked in a little early for our eye exams, but she said they were running a little late with the appointment the dr was doing at the time and there was a lady before us waiting. So, we went out to the optical area and started looking at glasses. Then she said she could at least start on our pre-exam tests. Then wait some more. I got a couple pair of glasses picked out I was trying to decide between and then we got something picked out for dh. We also decided to get prescription sunglasses, as well. No more clip ons, LOL. They were having a special of get $50 off the second pair. With the 2 pair I was trying to decide between, I got one for regular wear and one to be sunglasses. The pricey part of both our glasses is that we need progressive lenses. But my vision insurance covered $150 for each of us, on the frames and lenses. I had to pay for the exams, and then submit to my vision insurance. I think I will get most of that reimbursed, except from what I read on my benefits there is a $10 copay on the exam.

We liked the doctor and he seemed to do a good job explaining everything and the pictures of our eyes. Both healthy eyes, though he said I am showing the start of cataracts. Nothing that is affecting my sight or needing to be done now, but of course, most likely I will need the cataract surgery in the future, so good to know. Thinking ahead to retirement and being on medicare, I got home and looked up to see if medicare covers cataract surgery, and it does. If it didn't I would be trying to see if it would be something I could've gotten done before I retire at 67. He also suggested a new eye drop for me to use, with my corneal abrasion issue. He said use them morning and night, so I am going to get that ordered to try out.

When we got done it was 11:40 and Costco was packed so we decided to skip looking around and doing any shopping. We'll try again when we pick up our glasses. That will be a middle of the day on a Monday (hopefully they are in by the 15th) so I'm hoping it will not be a zoo. We then went to a regular grocery store so I could grab a small cart of things to see if we can last with our food supplies for another 2 weeks, when our next trip into the city is scheduled. We were both starving by then, so went thru Taco Time drive thru and headed back home. Dh wanted to go into our town lumber store and get some more of the lumber for the next section of the loft ceiling. I think we finally got home around 2:30pm.

Dh spent the rest of the afternoon measuring and sawing up his boards. Later this morning (after he is up and tells me which he needs done first) I'll start staining them all. This corner section is a little larger, as that corner juts out about 2 feet farther then the rest of the loft. 

It turned out to a nice sunny day yesterday, over 50 degrees. Our lawn is already starting to green back up. I also saw some iris leaves starting to poke up out of the ground.

I know today will go by fast, with all the staining work I have to do. I hear dh up and about, so I guess my morning quiet time is over ;)

 

8 comments:

  1. From the time I first got glasses, I have always had progressive lens. Do you have a blue light filter on glasses or computer. Next time I get a prescription, I will get prescription sunglasses as I can barely see in the sunlight. Is the guy an ophthalmologist? It seems you were able to get a lot done on the day before Easter. I forgot to get celery, so we have to find a store open! I am so annoyed at myself. At least, it will be a mile trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the blue light filter. The eye dr is an optician.

      Delete
  2. Costco on a Saturday...before a holiday???? Yeah, I wouldn't have shopped either! Glad you made it out of there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's why, but I wanted eye appt's on a Saturday morning, that were back to back, and this was the first time slots available when I scheduled ;)

      Delete
  3. Not great prices, but with specials I've used Pearl in town. I'm sure a better price at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Walmart before and they weren't bad for me, but they really messed up dh's first pair of glasses and didn't want to fix their screw up or admit they got his prescription wrong

      Delete
  4. Costco glasses are such a great value. We get ours there all the time now. Also, if you like your frames, they will just replace with an updated script very reasonably. AND, they will put your script in any frame for a small upcharge ($25 I think?). Can’t beat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my last pair there and their prices and eye exam services are good.

      Delete