Saturday, March 23, 2024

Slow Saturday

Boy, my internet is being slow this morning. It's taking 2-3 seconds just to open pages. Maybe a reset will help. I'll do that when I go downstairs to get breakfast. Sitting here, glancing out the window every so often, for the expected snow. It's cold enough to snow, now.

I see from my mail informed delivery that my mom's last social security check is in the mail. Now I can check that off my list.

I just checked my internet speed - supposed to be at like 21 mbps and it's at 1mpbs! Time to try the reset. I'll be back.............well, that did not help at all. Wonder what the issue is. This will make for a very grumbly dh when he gets up and sits down at his computer this morning.

Retirement talk:

In addition to our social security, we will also have retirement savings to draw from. I got an HSA account 3 years ago and started maxing it out with contributions 2 years ago and plan to keep doing that until I retire. All but $2000, that I have to keep in the main account, is invested and earning. When dh goes on medicare at age 65, I will only be able to max it out for me, as my understanding is if you are on medicare you can't contribute to an HSA.

I did a bit more research into Medicare Plan G costs. This was from the medicare.gov site, where I could put in age and zip code and it would give plans and costs for each plan. I just put in 65 as the age. The cost can vary quite a bit, (from $100-$392) depending on the insurance company chosen. For a regular plan G, through BlueCross (who I am familiar with using) it is $125, so close to the $100 per person I put in my budget. For a high-deductible Plan G, with a $2800 deductible, the cost is $75. With my HSA account funded and available, if needed, I would likely go with the high deductible plan.

For the Medicare Part D I am seeing the cost range (again, depending on company used) from .50 a month to $104.00 per month. At first this was a bit confusing for me. I was first in the Medicare gap plans page (for the above paragraph) and then looked at "Plan D" - well that isn't the same thing as "Part D". I went back to the main page and then was able to find the "Part D" plans and costs for my zip code.

I will also have my 401k from work and whatever is left in my inherited IRA after paying off the mortgage. I am anticipating to have extra from that. Even though I will have to withdraw it all by 10 years, so that I am taxed on it, I certainly don't have to spend what is left after the mortgage payoff. I can reinvest it and am hoping that will be what I can do, provided we can live off of social security income.

I know the % changes, but the consensus seems to be if you withdraw around 4% a year from your retirement fund, it's supposed to last. Once I would have to start taking that, at 75, it will likely be about half our SS income.



12 comments:

  1. It is all very confusing isn't it! Health care coverage and it's cost is my main concern with retiring at 60. If it wasn't for that, even with market ups and downs and taxes, I think I'd be comfortable plus have a bit of legacy for my kids. Like you, I have lots to research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could retire at 60, but there's no way that is happening. Hopefully it will happen by 67. I'm not super worried about leaving much to my dd...she and her dh are doing extremely well creating their own legacy, but at least she won't have to support either dh or I in old age, LOL.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off topic but do you still have the intern working for you? I haven't heard anything about him recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's still working, but only about 10 hours a week. But has been doing a decent job the past couple of months

      Delete
  4. We had that issue with our internet. Paid a good amount but seemed to slow down quite a bit. Hubs did everything he could think about , he called and although I hate to admit it, they nailed the problem. We have an upstairs also and there were to many things trying to run on the internet speed we had. We went up some and it's been perfect! Maybe you have a lot of things running up and downstairs. It's a thought! Good luck! Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did up our speed a few months ago, but this morning my computer was the only device being used and there was literally less than 1Mpbs of speed. We have the google home wi-fi system so that we can get the wifi upstairs and out in the shop, so that has worked great since we built the house.

      Delete
  5. You really have a good view of planning your retirement. I like your new blog name :)
    There is so much to consider & you have it pretty much covered. As long as you keep a rainy day savings, you should be fine. You still have time to research. Covering retirement in your blog is an excellent way to get feedback.
    You're intelligent & organized, that's way more than the majority of retirees!
    You will do just fine;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Writing about it helps me plan and the feedback is awesome. If I've learned anything in life, it's that not much ever goes as we plan, but I can try to be as prepared as possible.

      Delete
  6. I thought you had 2 kids? Maybe I am getting you confused with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. Our son hasn't wanted a relationship for about 12 years now. He is not listed as a beneficiary on anything, nor will he be included in our will/trust.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your passion and expertise so generously. Find fellow Aviator players to team up with on our blog.

    ReplyDelete