Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Planning with inheritance

I have to say it's been nice this past week or so without the calls and texts from my uncle asking about the inheritance. I'm glad that is done with. Now I can focus on myself and what I'm going to do regarding my inheritance. It's a very nice sum and I'm very blessed to receive it at this time of my life.

It's an inherited IRA, which means 1) I have to pay taxes on the distributions and 2) I have 10 years to take it all out, per IRS rules. My main use of it will be to pay off my mortgage on my house. Taking it all out as a lump sum distribution would be the least advantageous to me. It would put me in the 35% tax bracket. No thank you. 

I have created a spreadsheet and crunched the numbers every which way I can think of, for the best outcome of growing the investments, taking the required distributions and minimizing my taxes. Of course the % of growth I might earn over the years is unknown. "They" say that invested in stocks (which this IRA is) has been an average growth of 10% a year. In my spreadsheet I put in 7%, to be a little bit conservative.  Then I worked out a formula to take out the distributions over 10 years, including the growth of the IRA

I also added calculations for each year on my wages, tax deductions and estimated taxes, by tax bracket. Everything is linked, so as the investment numbers change, all the results update. Before all this I already had an amortization spreadsheet for my mortgage (as I had paid extra at times), so I'm linking these distributions to the amortization schedule to reflect an annual lump sum payment to my mortgage, each year I take the distribution. So, I can play around with all the numbers and see how it comes out. 

Right now I have it worked out that I would pay off my mortgage in Jan of 2030, 1 year before I would retire at 67. That would give me a year of working income, with no mortgage payment, which I can use to increase my retirement savings, as well, during that year. 

From this point forward I will just have to see what the actual earnings on the investments end up being as each year progresses, so of course my numbers will have to change. By retiring in 7 years, at age 67 (my full social security retirement age) my best plan, tax wise, is to take more of distributions during the 3 years (left out of the 10 years to distribute) after retirement, when my income is lower and my tax bracket would be lower for the distributions.

I will say the group of stocks in this inherited IRA are good and solid. There are 5 of the "Magnificent Seven" companies. Six of them are also on the Dow30. I'm excited to watch the growth of the Nvidia shares this year. According to everything I read, I think just that stock is going to end up making my earnings for the year more than estimated.

12 comments:

  1. You only talk bad about people or about money, money, money. Sad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - well this blog has always pretty much been (and started) about money. What a shock I talk about money! I'm an accountant so......

      Delete
    2. And you're just a sad Troll!

      Delete
    3. That comment was for the anonymous troll 🧌

      Delete
    4. Move on, then, Troll. Nothing to see here.

      Delete
    5. If you had any real cojones, you wouldn't type anonymously.

      Delete
    6. I started blogging 14 years ago. Here's my first ever sentence in my blog: Day One of Blogging
      Ok, here we go! I love reading blogs, especially about money, family and frugalness, so thought I'd try my hand at it.

      Kinda seems like that's what I've been posting about all these years, LOL.

      Delete
  2. One, very good advice re: tax implications and amortization. When I found myself in a similar situation after receiving my portion of my (small) inheritance from my mother, we used it to pull a "we'll make an offer they can't accept" on a piece of land. They didn't accept...at first, and we were going to roll it over, but late that weekend the realtor called, and said "you never know what people talk about at 2 a.m." I guess they really needed the cash. What we DIDN'T consider was the tax implication. Well, DH did, but we decided to damn the torpedoes anyway. The following March though...ugh the money we received was JUST ENOUGH with my part time teaching to put us in a higher tax bracket. Still a wise decision though. You might, given how your area is growing, want to consider buying some land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good suggestion and is something I've thought a bit about, but your idea of finding a really good deal is even better! My thought (hope?!) is that maybe DAN will end up deciding to sell and if that ever happens we will for sure buy that (even though it likely won't at all be a good deal). When the lot next to us was for sale, we honestly weren't even thinking of having someone build next to us an issue. We were kind of looking forward to a new neighbor/another nice house in our little neighborhood. He ruined that fantasy. But, we are looking forward to having the couple that bought lot 6 (DAN has 4 and 5) and them building and living here. I think their plan is to start building next year.

      Delete
    2. Oh no! You said the "D" word! You're really asking for it now! Xoxo

      Delete
    3. I figured maybe I'd get a pass mentioning him this time, LOL. I even looked up when I last posted about him. Jan 4th and the only reason I said the D word was because I was mentioning the couple on lot 6, on the other side of DAN (so I could give context). Then prior to that it was Nov 5th. You know...because he's the only thing I ever talk about, LOL

      Delete