Thursday, March 21, 2024

Guns and money

I don't think I mentioned - on Monday, dh did go up to have that other gunsmith (is that what they are called?) look at his childhood rifle. There was another guy there (who apparently is a frequent customer of this guy). Turns out he is a cabinetmaker. DH was explaining to the gunsmith that he had it "restored" but....the guy said whoever did this, did a good job. Dh said his heart kind of sunk. Then dh tried to explain again. He wanted the rifle to look like it did originally and it is much lighter now AND nothing got cleaned in regards to all the gun parts. The cabinet maker guy said the stock was sanded and finished nice and the grain shows through really nice (which it does, it's just not what color it was before (albeit all scratched and dinged and dirty). He said he would keep the stain color, showing the nice grain. The cabinet maker (who of course knows wood and staining) said really all's it needs is a clear finish added to it to give it some shine. Then the gunsmith looked closer and agreed that the parts do need cleaning and the gun re-sighted. So, between the 3 of them the plan is the cabinet maker is taking the wood stock of the gun and finishing that up, while the gunsmith cleans up the parts and then he will put it all back together. Hopefully, this will end up closer to what dh wants and hopefully not in 3 months, like it took the first guy. They sounded more like 3 weeks time. We'll see.....

Retirement talk:

I think, once I retire, we should pretty comfortably be able to live off of our combined social security. Here's my budget I worked up, based on current monthly expenses and expected additional monthly expenses in retirement (like medicare and supplement premiums). I'm using today's dollars for my future budget. As inflation goes up, so will SS.

Our combined monthly social security income will be $4212, with me taking at age 67.

Below is the monthly budget I worked up:

Property taxes                    542
Homeowners insurance     225
Medicare/Part B                340
Medicare/Part G               200
Food/misc supplies           600
Gas - auto                           80
Cell phone                          92
Landline/internet              119
Meds                                    6
Yard maintenance            100
Garbage service                 60
Electricity                        200
Propane                            150
Car insurance                   150
Car tabs/registration          40
Pet                                      15
Subscriptions                     80
House maintenance            40
              Total                   3,039

Annual income from SS= $50,544
Annual expenses           = $36,468
 
That gives us a little over $14,000 a year/$1,173/mo to cover whatever else may come up. I didn't budget gifts (Christmas and birthday), but the extra monthly income can go towards stuff like that, eating out every so often, etc. Basically misc/fun stuff.  It seems to be a very nice cushion to cover extras we may want to buy each month. Extra medical expenses like co-pays, etc, can come out of my HSA account, when needed.

I just did up this budget recently, so I haven't put a ton of thought into it. It's likely I'm missing/forgetting about something, but I certainly have time (7 years) to figure that out. LOL.
 
Some notes about some expenses: 
Telephone/internet (we are rural, so the only other option would be satellite internet) is through the telephone company and they only offer internet along with home phone service, so we have to pay for a landline, even though we could get by without one. They just raised the rate $5 a month last month.

Pet - the cat. I budget his food and litter in food/misc, but the $15/mo is to budget for his annual vet visit and vaccines.

Homeowner's insurance - ours is high due to where we live: in a high fire zone and the nearest fire dept help (and volunteer at that) 10 miles away. I do try to shop around for better rates every couple of years. They are supposed to add another small fire station 5 miles from us, so that may help our fire rating when it happens.

I will also have retirement savings to draw from, if needed. Medical expenses can first come out of my HSA. I will need to start withdrawing from my 401k at age 73 (per current IRS rules), so that will be additional income, if we need it.

25 comments:

  1. How can meds be $6/month with that income?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH and I both only take one prescription and currently mine only cost $2 for a 90 day supply and dh's cost $18 for a 90 day supply. I'm not sure what you are asking how it relates to income?

      Delete
    2. My income is low, so I am charged less for medication through Medicaid. Tommy's income is higher, so he pays more.

      Delete
    3. Gotcha - I have no idea how to know what our prescriptions will for sure cost in 7 years, but just going off of what they cost now. My mom was first on 3 meds for about $20/mo. When her dr put her down to one med it was $6 a month out of pocket to her

      Delete
  2. I love the budget. I hope in time maybe a few items will go down but you have a healthy amount left over each month for emergencies! As for the gun, I do hope he gets what he wants this time around. It's a shame it wasn't even cleaned properly from the inside :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not expecting much of the expenses to go down, most likely up - as in prop tax and insurance. As our vehicles age, the tabs will go down some.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, sigh! But, you're great with money and you won't have hopefully too many stressors in terms of that.

      Delete
  3. Retired already and our budget is very similar. By the way, according to the new rules from the Secure Act 2.0, if you were born in 1960 or later, the beginning age for starting RMDs is 75.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! good to know - I thought it got changed from 72 to 73. This is good news :)

      Delete
    2. The beginning age was changed to 73 for those born 1951-1959 and 75 for those born 1960 or later. Yes, I was happy that mine went up to 73, but 75 is even better.

      Delete
  4. Did you take income taxes into consideration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good catch - I don't think I did on my spreadsheet. I will be checking and updating - thank you!

      Delete
    2. According to 2 different online calculators I used (one with IRS and one with a 3rd party) our annual ss income (with no other income) married filing jointly would not be taxed.

      Delete
    3. Hmm. If you take money out of investments in any given year, does that affect your taxes? (I plan to collect at FRA, and my husband {who is a year older}, will wait 'til 70 to receive the maximum benefit.)

      Delete
    4. To Bobbie: currently, up to 85% of your soc sec could be subject to federal income tax. Depends on your total taxable income which could be from a job, taxable investments/IRAs, pensions, bank interest etc. Another good news bad news siuation...if your income is high (good news) you may be subject to IRMAA (bad news)! Medicare's Icome-related monthly adjustment, meaning you get to pay higher premiums for Medicare part B and D.

      Delete
    5. Bobbie - if I'm taking out of retirement savings, then yes, I will owe taxes and likely then on some of our ss income. But, if we can live on SS income, I won't have to start taking RMD's until age 75 (thanks to info from Julie), so my budget I've worked up, for now, doesn't include taking distributions yet. (not counting the inherited IRA, which I will be taking out most of it within the next 7 years).

      Delete
  5. I think you have a healthy amount leftover, that will be nice to have if you have costs increase (like I imagine property tax, utilities, and medical needs will do). Is there any property tax break for people over a certain age? I know Kentucky does a “homestead” exemption for people over 65 or disabled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there isn't a property tax break for over 65, like a lot of states have. There is a tax credit you can take for elderly property owners, but the household income can't be more than $45,000. I'm hoping that comparing "today dollars" in both income and expenses, both will somewhat adjust for inflation, though expenses always seem to go up more than income goes up

      Delete
  6. I think you might be underestimating Plan G. Mine is going up to $230 this June but it might be cheaper where you are. Will your husband also need a plan G? It is great that you have savings to help cover unexpected expenses. You might also consider the cost of the Plan D prescription plans. You don’t need one now but it only takes a serious illness to force you into buying expensive meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Medicare Plan D (for drugs). Too complex to explain all the details here but if you don't have drug coverage (either from a job, through your Medicare supplemental plan or Medicare Advantage plan) and at Initial Enrollment you do not buy a Plan D then if you try to buy a Plan D in the future, there is a lifetime $$ penalty. And you may have to wait until the annual open enrollment period to sign up. Example: You are healthy and only take one inexpensive med. You are retired and sign up for Medicare at age 65 on Jan 1st. You buy a medicare supplemental plan, but it does not include medication coverage. On Feb. 1st you are diagnosed with aggressive cancer and will need expensive chemo. You will have to pay out of pocket the full cost of chemo and other meds. And will possibly need to wait until Nov, the open enrollment period, to buy a Plan D to help pay for your meds. And now you also are charged a lifetime monetary penalty because you didn't have med coverage and didn't sign up for a Plan D at Initial Enrollment. Just a heads up.

      Delete

    2. Anon - thank you for the info. I had just done a search on the average cost and that is what it was showing. and thank you both for the info on Plan D

      Delete
    3. There was an article about this problem just today or yesterday on the internet.

      Delete
  7. When I was your age, I only took one medication. Now, I take many more at 77.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure if your HSA has this, but I recently discovered that I can invest a portion of my HSA account. I have it set up that once my balance reaches a certain amount it is transferred to the investment account. Then if for any reason my balances drops below a certain amount it will transfer a certain amount back over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My HSA works the same way. The main HSA has to leave $2000 in it, but everything over that I have set up to auto transfer to the investment account. It's a nice deal and I love how my HSA portal lets me upload copies of all my medical receipts with the amount and save in a "vault". So far I have 2 years worth of receipts saved now, once I got all my OTC receipts entered.

      Delete