Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Reading, shows and work

I've been on a science fiction reading kick lately and just finished 2 good ones. The first one was called Seveneves. Though really long and I'll admit I skimmed over some of the parts with too much technical detail, the story in itself was really good. The next one was called Meet Me in Another Life and I read that one really fast, in like 2 days.

I have the last episode of season 2 of Discovery of Witches to watch. Good news regarding a canceled NBC show DD and I liked called Manifest. It was such a hit with the first 3 seasons put on Netflix right after it was canceled, along with a huge push by fans to get it back, Netflix has agreed to do a final 4th season of 20 episodes to wrap up the story line. We watched it for 3 seasons, expecting at some point to find out the "why" and then it got cancelled and left us totally hanging. I will have to pay for Netflix for a month when that eventually airs.  And just like just about every single person I know, LOL, we are all waiting for Yellowstone to come back in November. There is also a spinoff called Yellowstone 1886 or something like that coming in December, starting Sam Elliot. He's always good to watch.

I'm finally starting to make headway in getting caught up at work. Typically I am 2-3 months behind in getting all our commission reconciled and the monthly financial statements done. Some of it is just a factor of our mfg's don't pay us for that month's commissions for 6-8 weeks and I need their reports for the months they are paying. So, 2 months out is normal. But, when we went through that long IRS audit, along with gradually other stuff being added to my work, I've been like 6 months behind. Finally, I am now almost done with May. That is my goal by the end of tomorrow. Then if in the next 3 weeks I can keep pushing through on completing June, I will be very caught up and very happy. Some of what has allowed me to get caught up is a change in how one of our mfg's does their orders and I don't have to be the order person anymore. I don't have to place the PO's and I don't then have to receive and pay their invoices and then turn around and bill our customers and receive their payments. It all added up to quite a bit of time on my plate. Now this mfg was bought out by another one and they do it the "right" way, LOL. I've also just made myself stay on task, giving myself goals to get so much completed each day. Some days I get none of it done, as other things come up (or it's payroll day), but having the daily goals has really helped get caught up. I'm not there yet, but seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Another employee is leaving the company I work for. She has been with us 8 years. From the sounds of her career change (going back to what she did before) at at school (not a teacher) it certainly isn't about money. She currently makes way more than teachers make (and she's not a teacher) so obviously just wanting a lifestyle change with work and responsibilities.

I haven't done any MTurks for extra income in probably a year or more. I got burned out on it and I think about the time my side job money doubled I stopped doing it. For kicks I logged in yesterday to do a few surveys. It took me a bit to remember the how, as I used an interface with it to more easily find hits. I had to remember how it worked. I know I have emailed a couple people on how to use it and the settings I was using. I might have to find one of those emails to refresh my memory. But, within about 20 minutes, just before ending my work day yesterday, I made $10.28. This morning, in about 10 or 15 minutes of time I have $2.60. I'll probably do it awhile, until I get burned out on it again. So far, this time almost every hit I click on I get, which was rarely the case before, hence the need for the "hit catcher" program. It will keep trying them. I don't know if that means more are available now or less people are doing it now. If it continues like this, where hit are actually available during the time I have to work on them, it might work out better. If I can work on it for an hour during lunch and actually get lots of hits to do, it will make earning from it easier.

DH woke me up about an hour before I got up this morning saying he wasn't feeling very good again. Pain when he takes a deep breath again. Which they told him before was his lung bumping up against the inflamed pancreas. Ugh. He did fall back asleep and is still sleeping, so at least that is good.


6 comments:

  1. It seems this pandemic has made a few people realize life isn't all about money so good on your colleague if she is going to get more fulfillment/less stress out of her new job. And I hope your husband feels ok today. Poor thing, he's been through the wringer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Co-worker said she's really excited about going back to work with kids, so good for her. DH seems a bit better so far this morning. He's eating a late breakfast now.

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten all about MTurks since you have not mentioned it in a while. I will be happy when your husband is better and won't have chills or pain. Did he overdo things or eat something to make the pain worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wanted chili for dinner last night. I'm hoping it was just that. The doctor told him he can eat whatever he wants, but if something seems to end up bothering him more, don't have it.

      Delete
  3. It's the end of the day, and I'm just reading this--how's your husband feeling now?

    ReplyDelete