Thursday, October 19, 2023

Wants, needs and savings

Well, this is annoying. I'm trying to finish up some work for my side job. I just need to log into their bank account for 1 minute to download the credit card statement. That's all I need....but noooo....something is wrong with the banks website and it won't let me log in. I have been trying for almost 2 hours now. "We are experiencing difficulties on our end, please try again later". 

I was looking at my Amazon order history. The last time I ordered a "want" was the end of July. I ordered a nice blanket for the back of the couch (that Amos has decided is his) and a stupid "cat cave" that Amos could care less about and is now taking up space on the floor in my office. I'll try to get dd to take it home with her next visit and see if her cat likes it, LOL. If not she can give it away on her neighborhood free page, or something. Everything I've ordered since then is something we need. I did order 2 Prime day items for our cruise next year. Did I "need" the little purse? Well, yes. I am not going to walk around a ship or shore excursions with a huge bag, LOL. Did I "need" the extra binoculars? Well, probably not. I'd say that one falls in the cracks between need and want. When we are wanting to use them while on the cruise and one of us would have to miss out on seeing it good/close up, because the other person has the one set of binoculars, then it's going to feel like a need, haha.

I finally got into the bank account and got the statement I need. Now I can't get into my remote connection with the company, LOL. It's apparently going to be one of "those" days.  

I just ordered some OTC medication from Amazon and I remembered to save the receipt to pdf and add it to my HSA account as an eligible expense. I usually order it from Walmart and it's $14.92. Now it's up to over $17. Then I found it on Amazon for $9.99. I'm all finished with dd's birthday gifts and even a Christmas gift already purchased. Look at me go! 😄

I think that maybe the reason I got the new debit card, is mine was set to expire at the end of this month - I think the timing crossed with them processing this replacement card and getting it sent out and me canceling the debit cards. I'm just going to shred this one.

I need to figure out when I'm going to go get more groceries next. I need to do it sometime by mid next week. Last weekend/earlier this week I was like "oh I'll just go in Thursday, after work". Well yesterday came and I'm like ehh...I don't feel like going, I can get by a few more days, haha. I do at least have my list written up.

DH's buddy that lives in Texas sent a picture of a price at a gas station with gas at like $2.79. Must be nice - we're at like $4 a gallon, I think. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I live in California and gas is over $5 a gallon here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gas is in the high 1.40s or 1.50s in Ontario per litre. My friend who is American said in the long run it isn't really cheaper when you convert. As for wants vs needs - once you're not over extending on your wants, you can definitely treat yourself. I am hoping this ignites the travel bug within, so you can get away even if it's once a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with almost 4 litres in a gallon, it looks like you are paying about the same as we are here per gallon (with conversion rate). I really do not have much of a travel bug at all. Maybe once every 3 years I could do? haha!

      Delete
    2. Well now that you are getting your passport (a 10 year I hope) in 3 years you'll be ready to come into Canada, haha!

      Delete
  3. We're paying roughly $8 dollars a gallon here in the UK now ( if my calculations are accurate! ) so the difference is getting less.
    Once upon a time £1 would buy $2 but we're getting towards parity now as the £ weakens.
    What did you buy your dd in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got her a book series set and a puzzle with highland "coos".

      Delete
  4. We went to the Smoky Mountains a couple of weeks ago and paid $2.87 at a Buc-ee's on the way home to south central KY. We took another short day trip in the state this past weekend and paid $2.89 at a Sam's Club. The small town I live in JUST went down yesterday to $3.13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great prices compared to up north. Hopefully those prices will make their way here, too.

      Delete
  5. Wow gas sounds high where you are? I know in our city it’s anywhere from $3 to 3.20 right now. The second you leave city limits it dropped under $3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's all high west coast and north. Not sure about midwest and east coast

      Delete