Sunday, October 29, 2023

One more weekend day

Change of plans yesterday. DH decided he wanted to go into the city to pick up the stuff he ordered, even though not all of the order is in, LOL. We did stop at Walgreens first and got our passport photos done. And of course he forgot his Harbor Freight gift card. Next trip, I guess.

I took about an hour nap when we got home and got up a little after 3. I didn't want to sleep too long or too late or then I'd wake up and not feel like making the macaroni and cheese for dinner. It's about a half hour process to get made (I have no idea why the directions say 10 min prep time, LOL), which is pushing my meal prep limits, LOL. Plus, it's way more clean up than I like to have to do. I haven't made it in a long time and it was good and lots of leftovers. The recipe calls for cavatappi noodles and in all the years making it I never found that kind of noodles at the store so just always used elbow noodles. Well, apparently I had found a box of cavatappi that I bought and was in my pantry, so this was my first time using those noodles. I like the elbow better. The cavatappi really get big when cooked.

So, today I should be able to make the banana cream pie. 

DH spent an all nighter talking to some friend on the phone, so he'll be sleeping in later this morning. It's most likely his friend/ex-employee who now lives in Northern Cali. They get on the phone about once a year and talk for hours, catching up, talking world politics, etc.

18 degrees outside this morning and Amos wanted out. I figured he'd be right back in a few minutes, as usual when it's cold. I made dh's egg sandwich and he's still not back. Ate my breakfast and he's still not back. Then I spotted the Orange Lord just on the other side of the fence. From an upstairs window I got out my new binoculars to take a look. He's sitting under a tree (half grass half little bit of snow) and obviously has some catch he keeping an eye on, LOL. I guess mini mountain lions aren't bothered by the cold. He's still out there, LOL.

My mom's new clothes are supposed to be here by Thursday, so I'll then figure out when to get them in to her, soon after. The weather is supposed to be warmer and no snow later in the week, as well, so it will be easy to make the drive. Though it's been pretty annoying that half the 45 mile drive to the city is road construction. Seriously, they are really doing/going to do road construction in the winter? 


 

 


4 comments:

  1. Will you post your macaroni and cheese recipe? In all my years of tending the home fires, I have yet to find one I've wanted to keep!
    It's cold here...actually froze last night. I had to go to my tenant's (on the farmhouse) and walk her through a few safeguards, such as disconnecting the hoses outside, and tricks to the woodstove. Here's hoping we don't get wind, too. It's gorgeous and clear, though. It's also very dry, which isn't helped by the fact that we decided to use our woodstove as well. Funny story: Boy-With-A-Plan tried several times over the weekend to get it started, so DH wouldn't have to, (even though our hearth is raised, there's still a lot of leaning over, not what DH needs to be doing), but succeeded in only smoking up the house, to the point that we assumed we needed it serviced, and decided to give up. Well, yesterday, after the 3rd try, the minute, and I mean the MINUTE that kid and I were out of sight yesterday, DH got up and worked on it. Boy-With-A-Plan and I came back in from the chicken coop to find a lovely fire, blazing in the woodstove! Apparently, our son wasn't starting with the proper wood to get it hot enough to start, but DH didn't want to tell him how to do it when he was working so hard to keep DH from having to deal with it. Oh, who am I kidding, I didn't understand why he said it wouldn't start for us, I'm just glad he did it, and was able to explain to Boy-With-A-Plan. I DO know that the woodstove in our farmhouse, which is a Blaze King, and put in circa 2000 is MUCH better than this brand new Lopi, because, the new Lopi has to have WA state environmental devices in it which makes starting the fire a bit harder. And, yes, I'm an environmentalist, and I understand why they are needed, but darn it all, I miss that other woodstove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for dh! LOL. Years ago, there was a little bar/tavern near our office that had the BEST mac & cheese w/bacon. My boss would often go get an order to go and bring it back and we'd split it. After a few years they went out of business and boy I missed that M&C, so I tried to find a recipe online and this one is just as good: https://renecarter.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/four-cheese-with-bacon-mac/

      Delete
  2. How long did Amos explore yesterday?? I need to put my winter tires on I am NOT ready for snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whatever he caught kept him entertained for over an hour unti he finally came inside, but then he wanted out again not too long later.

      Delete