Friday, October 13, 2023

Testing, testing 123

I placed an online Walmart order yesterday for shipping to me. I bought 6 cartons of the boxed milk and also a can of the Folger's silk coffee, to try. I added a few more needed items to get to the $35 free shipping. I will let you know on both the coffee and milk how I like them.

I have $55 in my "cruise" savings, so far. This is from putting in my cash backs. I received the Royal Caribbean visa card and have charged a couple things to that, but still have $750 more to charge to earn the $250 cruise credit. I'm also going to get a Chase credit card I am pre approved for that will earn me $200 cash back, after only charging $500. This will go into my cruise fund, as well. Next August (cruise is in Sept) I will also get the 2024 property tax refund and will put that towards the cruise, as well.

This morning my mom's checking looks back to normal and is showing the withdrawal transfer to the savings. But, the savings side is still pending. I think it should go through as finalized today.  

DH got out our satellite messenger emergency "phone" yesterday. Charged it up, did a test with DD (who needed to get theirs charged up, too) and refreshed ourselves on how they work. Hard to remember when we never use them, other then to test out every year or so, when we think about it. Dh couldn't remember how to use it at all, so we need to test it more often to help remember. But they worked, messages sent and received - though in typical dh and dd comic style, LOL.

We certainly aren't anywhere as prepared as prepper level type folks, but probably more prepared than a lot of people. We have a little bit of long term foods, maybe enough for a month, a pretty stocked pantry and freezer, about 9 cases of drinking water, plus 30 gallons of tap water, a small generator, guns and ammo, some cash on hand, extra OTC supplies and a decent first aid kit, and a few months of pet food/supplies

What things do you have in place to prepare for an emergency?

8 comments:

  1. We get fairly frequent power outages due to wind, and are on a well, so I used to save water before the standby generator--anytime I'd empty a suitable container, it got filled with water and stored in the garage. Trust me, it will take only ONE 4 day power outage in which you are forcing flushes with store bought water before you learn your lesson. What I really need to do, though, is renew my passport. Beyond that, I am set, except pet food. And I vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure have had several days of no power before, when we lived over there. We've always filled up the tub, to use in the toilets, if we thought a storm was coming. Now we have the jugs filled, on the ready.

      Delete
  2. Dh has a satellite phone but he only activates it during hunting season. We have plenty of food around here, a generator, means to cook etc. we have all of this because of hunting and camping. I don’t keep much water, but all my kids live in town so they have city water, and 2 of my neighbors have the old school hand pump wells I could get water from if need be. I have zero concerns that would lead me to become a prepper.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's smart he has one of those for hunting season. We have to subscribe all year, since we want it for the unexpected emergency. We have a friend who was up in the mountains nearby riding his dirt bike, by himself, and got injured pretty bad. Luckily his cell phone worked and he could call his wife and sons for help.

      Delete
  3. This is such an interesting question.
    I live in a small city in the UK.
    We cannot own guns very easily and I've no store of water.
    I've about two week's worth of food for two people - I live a short walk to a supermarket which sells tinned, frozen and fresh food plus household items, petrol - and a full range of alcohol!
    However no country is immune to a dangerous change in circumstances and I think water will be the thing that countries fight over in the future - rather than oil.
    Fascinating how different countries operate and yet how much knowledge and common sense we all share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that most who live near stores don't worry about stocking up, but even then my fear is a time of disrupted delivery/people panicking and buying out the stores quickly and then do you have enough for the duration? We often saw it with bottled water, where we used to live and of course we all saw it with toilet paper and I also remember for a short time it was hard to find lunch meat.

      Delete
  4. I know I keep a 3 day drinking water supply, and we own a lot of canned goods that we rotate out a lot, but I guess we could get by about 2-4 weeks? My partner and I are planning on getting a gas stove somewhat soon so we can cook if power goes out, and probably a small camp stove. We live in the south, so the big concern is tornados (we've lived here just over a year and I think 5 touched down in our county?), but we have a basement and keep our supplies down there along with a blanket, pillows, and a leash under the stairs so we can hunker down with our dog if need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds like you are prepared well. The stove is smart. The only thing we have to cook on if power goes out is a propane bbq grill. It does have a burner on the side to heat things up in a pan, which is helpful.

      Delete