Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday whatnot

This is the exact kind of heating/ac unit that is in mom's apartment. As far as I know there is no way to lock it or block her from adjusting it. Obviously she needs to be able to adjust it up or down, if she's too warm or too cold, but I'd prefer she didn't turn it off completely! I'm wondering if I put a note AND maybe put some black tape across the off button, she will stop turning it off all the way.

It's always something new to figure out with her now :)

Dh's best buddy's wife mailed him a package he got yesterday. It's a box to make a gingerbread house...she's having a contest where dh and her hubby each have to make one, one their own, on the same day, only using what's in the box and no help from the wives. No cheating. Dh reads the instruction in the card and the first thing he says is "oh....there WILL be cheating involved" LOL. Within 10 minutes he had all his cheating planned out, haha. I'm not sure what day this event will happen, but I'll be sure to take pictures of the end result ;)

So, I didn't make cookies yesterday, but it will happen today. First I want to get some flowers ordered to be sent to dd to congratulate her master's degree. I was trying to think of a gift to get her, but with birthday and Christmas soon and gifts given/to be given, I decided I'll order a bouquet of flowers to be delivered. 

One other Christmas thing I've wanted for a long time is Christmas bedding for our king sized bed. I ordered a duvet cover years ago, from an ebay seller, but didn't realize the shipper was in the UK and apparently their king sized isn't the same as US king sized? whatever, it was too small, so I ended up using it on one of the queen sized guest beds. I think I'm just going to find an inexpensive Christmas quilt I can lay on top of my current duvet cover and call it good during the holiday season. I don't want to spend a ton of money and I see some on Amazon under $30.

I see the movie "Where the Crawdads Sing" is now on Netflix, so I definitely want to watch that. I read the book and dd also read and saw the movie in theater and said it was a good one.

Has anyone ever ordered flowers delivered from Amazon? I didn't realize they offered that.

16 comments:

  1. Belk, which is a department store mostly in the south I think, is online. Last year I bought Christmas sheets for all my grandkids very reasonably. They also had lots of Christmas bedding. I haven’t checked this year but try them. They remind me of the old Herbergers store. Lots of housewares etc. Jre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I had not heard of Belk's until a couple weeks ago. An ad for their store showed up in my Facebook feed - for a cute Christmas puzzle, LOL. I was thinking of getting it for when dd is here at Christmas as it was a good price at $13.90 but needed like $49 for free shipping, so I hadn't ordered it.

      Delete
  2. Where the Crawdads Sing...I loved that book & had no idea it was on Netflix. I might try & watch it today. Tonight belongs to Yellowstone. Great show!
    I'm sure your dd would love & appreciate flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll watch Yellowstone tonight. I record it and am hoping we can then skip through the commercials, haha.

      Delete
  3. I belong to Costco & order flowers from them all the time to be sent to friends - they are beautiful. Price is right around $50. If you know someone who has a Costco account - possibly you could sign in under their membership name/# & then put in your own CC#. Just a thought - I'm sending a few to girlfriends for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dd is the only one I know with a Costco membership, LOL...so that would kind of spoil the surprise :) But I will let her know of that, for next time she needs to order flowers, she probably doesn't know that.

      Delete
  4. I bought a Christmas quilt from Belk's last year, poinsettias, and reversible. It is really pretty.
    At clearance price, I found a gingerbread house kit and bought it for Tommy to make. I try to find things to stimulate our minds. He spent a lot of time fretting over putting it together as he did not quite get the concept! I had to keep explaining what pieces were for and how to put it together. He was too sparing on the icing to hold it together.
    I did a secret shopper once where i was sent flowers and had to provide the company with a photo and count the flowers. It was a disaster. I presume the stores florists who bring the flowers to the consumer or either good or bad. So, I would have no idea how to judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked and the quilt is still there. I searched "belk quilt poinsettia" and it came right up. It has free shipping.

      Delete
    2. See above comment, I had never heard of Belks until recently, so decided to check them out and I ordered a Christmas quilt yesterday, along with that cute puzzle. This is the quilt I ordered: https://www.belk.com/p/marcielo-marcielo-christmas-quilt-set-lightweight-bedspread-set-b021/0480029464777.html?cgid=bed-bath-bedding-quilts

      Delete
    3. That is really pretty and goes better with your woodsy looks. I bought mine two years ago after Christmas. And, I think it was less than half of the original price, like $45.

      Delete
  5. I think that's a fun idea to have your DH and his friend each build a gingerbread house (even if they cheat). That's so original! And I might watch Where The Crawdads Sing too (I'm pretty sure it was Ms Moon that mentioned it)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! My daughter sent me flowers 💐 through Amazon once. Of course I loved them, but it was a job to get them unpacked and looking like they hadn't been shipped. But I eventually got them looking good and they lasted not quite a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading some reviews on one Amazon flower arrangement. It even stated right in the information that it was shipped as "buds" and then people would give it a bad review with a picture saying "it doesn't look like the picture'. Well no kidding - you have to wait for it to bloom!

      Delete
  7. I have never ordered from Amazon, but I am lucky to have florists close by - is there a local option to get them delivered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked online at the local florists in her town but only one was even open on Mondays (I wanted it delivered today, since she works from home on Mondays), so I ended up ordering through an online florist service

      Delete