Thursday, February 1, 2024

Greed

My uncle can be a bit annoying. We never have very long conversations on the phone (when he calls, or I give him a call, it's usually like a minute or less) and when I do try to talk or explain anything you can tell he's not fully listening and saying ok and ending the call before I can get more than a few sentences out. Not that I like to talk on the phone either, but I do like to communicate effectively. A couple of weeks ago he texted me (already!) asking me when he's going to get his share of the inheritance. Seriously. He had some story about his accountant needing to know when because of reporting his income for his veteran's disability. It was like 9:30pm my time when I got this text and I just replied that I would email him in the morning with what info I had at the time. I decided email would be the best way to make sure I was able to explain all this without him trying to end the call before I was done and only half listening.

I then emailed him a very good explanation of how this is going to work. That mom's retirement IRA account is a separate thing from her will/estate and will be distributed per the beneficiaries set up on that and his share is 5% and while I don't know the exact amount it will be, because it's tied to the daily stock market fluctuations, when her account is closed, his share should be around $40,000. I told him I do not have a timeline, but nothing could be started until I get the death certificate to send them, and I didn't know how long that would take, either. I also explained that her will was likely a moot document as since all her money was in her IRA and a little in a joint checking with me on it, there will be no "estate" to distribute as she no longer owns a house, furniture/etc, or car to sell. On her will she had him at 30% (good grief!).

I also explained, that unlike an inheritance through a will, this inherited IRA is taxable upon distribution and that he would have 3 options with it: take the full distribution at once, keep it in the inherited IRA set up and withdraw within 10 years, or move the account to a different investment company of his choosing.

He acknowledged shortly after I sent the email that he got it. Then yesterday the investment office started working on calling the beneficiaries to start working on setting up the inherited IRA accounts for everyone. He calls me and says "I thought I was getting 30%, but the lady told me it's 5%". I said yes, that's correct. I explained all that in that email I sent you about how her IRA beneficiaries distribution is not a part of her will and gets distributed per the percentages she put on that. "Oh ok. I guess you did say that.". I also told him that I verified with her estate attorney the day prior that her will is a non-issue, since she no longer has any assets, like a house or car (the car that he got!) and he did say yes, I got her car.

He'll get the money when he gets it. I have no control over how long it takes. I even mentioned to him that if he was getting money from her will it would likely take at least a year to go through probate. (and the attorney verified this for me during our call).

And veteran's disability?? He is not a disabled vet! Never in my 60 years have I heard of him being a disabled vet from either him, my grandparents, or my mom. He was in the Army for whatever the minimum time was when he was 18 years old. He then got out, went to college for teaching degree and was a teacher his whole life, until retiring. I'm sure it was just one of his fibs so it didn't make it sound like he himself wanted to know when he's getting the money. 

Not to mention all the money my mom has given him over the years (since my stepdad passed). I'd have to go back through her checkbook registers, but it's over $30,000. And I know of at least a couple of those times my mom had told me she loaned him money (to buy a car he was going to fix up and sell) and he was supposed to pay her back and I never found any evidence in her banking that he ever did. The guy is almost 80 years old. He's lucky to be getting any inheritance! As it stands, he's getting a very decent $40,000. I'm sure he has it spent already (or spent what he thought he was getting). I'm pretty sure if I was 80 years old and was getting some inheritance, I'd be saying I don't need that - please give it to the kids or grandkids.

Hopefully the accounts will be set up soon and he'll have his money and I don't have do hear about it/deal with that aspect anymore. Of course I will keep in touch with him and make sure he's doing ok, as I have been since mom was no longer able to. He lives 500 miles away. No wife or kids.

15 comments:

  1. I am really glad your mom did such a great job with her estate planning and that you do not have to do an executor sort of things. For my mom, it was a simple estate and did have to go through probate, a relatively quick process that only took 6 months, 4 of which were spent waiting for the paperwork appointing me as executor. As for your uncle: at least this is only one beneficiary to deal with, and even then it's through the investment company and not something under your control.
    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 4 step siblings are also getting a percentage, but I highly doubt any of them are going to be a problem. My father in laws took almost 18 months and I'm not really sure why as it wasn't that big of estate. Just a house that got sold (was in the process of being sold when he died) right away and that was the money to distribute.

      Delete
  2. Oh Uncle, some things never change. Some folks are just like that unfortunately- but 40k is a great amount to receive at his age. A year seems about right on average - I am glad you have other folks dealing with him. He is technically a vet if he got an honourable discharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. correct, he is a veteran, but I'm pretty darn certain he is not a disabled vet getting VA disability payments

      Delete
    2. Oh yes I missed that part! I mean, LOL. He is a character for sure. Probably doesn't want to bore you with the details of his life LOLL

      Delete
  3. Maybe he is using the 'disabled vet' to get attention since they are often honored or get free things. Or, he may have applied and gotten a disability later. If a vet can prove that something during their service caused them to develop later a disability, they are covered. My friend wanted to get a disability. He had tinnitus which he only complained about to get out of something. He chuckled and said that it was one disability that no doctor could prove or disprove. The doctor had to take his word. So, who knows what was in your uncle's mind. Maybe he just wants sympathy or an excuse. No telling!
    He does sound greedy. Is he the relative you said wanted money only to get an inheritance to leave someone?
    The half-siblings could still rear their heads with objections. How many are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, who knows with my uncle, LOL. I'm not recalling saying exactly that - maybe it was I said that he'd get this large inheritance (if it had been at 30%) and basically no one to leave it to since he has no wife or kids and that he originally said he had my mom listed to inherit his estate (he then realized that was dumb and says he updated his will a couple years ago). Or he'll end up in a nursing home on medicaid and the state would take all the inheritance. It just seems really dumb to me to leave a large amount to a sibling, at their ages.

      The others are my 4 step siblings, not half siblings and legally they have zero objections they could raise. She didn't have to put any of us as beneficiaries on that account. The beneficiaries she put is how it will get distributed. It's a legally binding document. None of them are going to be the type asking when they are going to get their money. All of them have way more money than my mom did, LOL.

      Delete
  4. My husband is a veteran who served during Vietnam. Because of ailments (diabetic neuropathy and different things), he is considered a 'disabled veteran' even though he only did the required amount. The VA has percentages they count for different things, which determines how much money they get. I often hear someone say, "Oh, I'm only at 70%" or "I just got 100%". There are many things that count as service related. So he could well have that. BUT, having said that, I'm not sure that any amount received (especially like this) would affect his VA income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess anything's possible, LOL. He's always been a bit of a shady character (though loads of laughs) so I always take just about anything he says with a grain of salt.

      Delete
    2. VA disability is very different from regular disability. My husband is a 100% disabled veteran but also holds a full time job for which he is well paid. The VA does not ask, or care, if the disabled veteran has other income, receives an inheritance, or wins the lottery, lol! The disability income is protected and is also not taxed.
      Louisa

      Delete
    3. I figured, even if by small chance he is on VA disability, this inheritance wouldn't affect it. But knowing my uncle and all the little fibs he tells, it's very unlikely he is. It's also not likely I'm even in his will, haha. I am certainly not counting on it, even though he says it.

      Delete
  5. Money. The root to many evils! It sure does bring out the worst in people, doesn't it? I mean I love money but there is a time and place that you inquire about such things after a death . Especially your mother! My goodness she just passed. But greed doesn't stop, does it? I hope your mom is up in the heavens looking down and saying "You're doing a good job, daughter!"

    Take care,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I think my jaw dropped when he texted me not much more than a week after she passed asking (for his *accountant) how long until he get his money.

      Delete
  6. Money does bring out the worst in people doesn't it, and frankly I think he's lucky to be getting anything being her brother, while you are her daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's my thought as well, and everyone who's close to me that I've told about it.

      Delete