Monday, February 26, 2024

Up and at 'em Monday

Yesterday was pretty productive. I made blueberry muffins for breakfast. Finished loading up the dishwasher with those dirty dishes and ran the dishwasher. Took a shower, made the bed. Just before lunch I made the peanut butter cookies. After lunch we played pool for awhile. Then dh got my chicken coop cleaning stuff out of the garden shed and I got the coop all cleaned out. I almost put it off, because my back had started hurting in one spot an hour or two earlier, but I wanted to get this done and by the time I was done, my back actually got worked out of the muscle spasm, so that was good. 

About an hour nap from 2:30 to 3:30. Then I started watching a movie on my ipad. Dinner was homemade pizza. While that was baking, I emptied out the dishwasher. Dh spent the rest of the evening messaging with a distant cousin (it would be dh's cousin's son, I don't know what that is called...once removed?)  and I finished the movies I had started.

Dh's dad was one of 12 kids, born on a farm in Minnesota. Dh's dad left when he was 18 to join the Air Force and never returned. I think being the youngest of 12, he felt no place on the farm. (his dad died when he was 7) and the oldest was running the farm. Dh had visited the farm once when we was a kid, with his family. Last August he had Facebook messaged someone he thought now owned the farm (or part of it) and had asked if she was related to the original homesteader, dh's great grandfather. Yes, her husband is dh's 2nd cousin. So, they spent the evening messaging back and forth and dh scanned some old pics he had of his dad on the farm and an old picture with many of the 12 kids sitting around a big table. DH's dad was the youngest, I think, so he had siblings who were grown and married and even a nephew or two older than him.

This is a short post today. I've got to get payroll processed today. Oh fun!

6 comments:

  1. That is fascinating about DH's dad and the family history. I agree, the bigger the family, I am no longer surprised at the complex family dynamics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my grandma was one of 11 kids. All her generation only seemed to have 2, 3 or maybe 4.

      Delete
  2. I was given six months of Ancestry for Christmas and it's been really interesting tracing grandmothers and great grandmothers Everyone seems to explore the male line but I wanted to find out what the female ancestors got up to.
    The answer seems to be - having babies!
    Families of ten, twelve seem to have been quite normal.
    And more than once when a daughter sadly died at only a few months old a subsequent baby would take on the same name.
    You've had a nice relaxing weekend; that pool table was a good buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dh is the same way - only cares about the male line with his last name. I told him you have 4 sets of great grandparents and even though only one of them has your same last name, the other 3 sets are just as much related to you and likely just as interesting. In searching my own, I have found lots of great info following some of the females back

      Delete
    2. I love looking into ancestry, and actually have had so much trouble finding info for the line with my last name that I haven't really bothered with it. I really have enjoyed my other family lines, and especially following the female lines. They always lead to more interesting stories! And more interesting names

      Delete
    3. Eli Rose - it is really interesting. I didn't even know my paternal grandmother's last name before using ancestry, so it was helpful in finding that out and then being able to find out more about her family and where she was from

      Delete