Monday, February 19, 2024

Weekend wrap up

The weekends always go by so fast, even when I'm really not doing much. Saturday I vacuumed the downstairs. I made a pan of brownies. Now I can't remember what else I did. Saturday evening, just before it got dark, we had at least 11 deer out in front of our property. We've never seen that many that close to the house. We were watching them out the window with our binoculars for a couple minutes and then our neighbor who lives down at the end pulled into our street and that scared them all off :(

I've gotten 5 1/4 eggs the past 6 days. How did I get a 1/4 of an egg, you may wonder? The egg yesterday was one of those "fairy" eggs, LOL. 

I spent quite a bit of time, over the weekend, playing around with all the numbers in the spreadsheet I made to figure out distributions of my inherited IRA over the next 10 years, as well as how each distribution would affect my taxes, when I can have the house paid off and when I can retire. Just trying to play around with different scenarios. Is it weird that I almost feel guilty to take my first distribution, when it becomes available? LOL. I'm sure I'll get past that feeling when I can see $$ in my account, haha.

In some ways it is a good thing this is in an IRA and still taxable monies. Then I am not just getting this huge lump sum at once (that apparently the average person squanders away). I mean, sure I could just take it all at once and pay the tax bill on it, but I'm not stupid enough to pay 37% taxes on it. I'll spread it out over the 10 years and keep most of it in the 22% tax bracket. If I retire at 67 and still have 3 years left to take the distributions, those would mostly then put me down in the 12% tax bracket.

Another thing I am trying to do more research on is Medicare and also having a Medicare supplement plan (I think that's what they are called) vs. a Medicare Advantage plan. We have 5 years before dh can go on Medicare and most likely I won't be going on it until I retire, at 67, as I will still have work insurance. But, I'm sure medicare and supplement for dh, at 65, will be cheaper than having him on my work insurance plan.

Yesterday I gave dh another haircut with the clippers. He did laundry. We played pool in the afternoon. Then I took a short nap. We've been trying to just have really light dinners once in awhile, so last night was just grilled cheese sandwiches and a brownie for dessert. I saved copies of my recent receipts for OTC medication purchases and one for dh's prescription and got those added to my HSA "vault". I now have almost $1000 built up in expenses I can reimburse myself for someday.

DH has run into town last Friday and stopped in the lumber store. He wants/needs to build some stairs to make it easier to get up to the loft in his shop. He had an idea, but in talking with one of the guys that work there, he gave dh a better plan. DH isn't ready quite yet to build it, but now at least knows how he will do it and what he'll need. 

He's still trying to decide what car lift to get. The one he wanted to get ended up being an extra $1600 for installation. He's like, even if it's 2 guys, there's no way it would take them more than 8 hours/1 day to install it. He's not paying $200/hour for labor. Then just recently he watched a youtube video of one being installed in someone's shop and it wasn't on time lapse or anything and took 2 guys just 2 hours. He said one guy did most of the work and the other guy was just there to basically help hold things while the other guy did the work. So, that made him even more convinced he's not paying $1600 for an installation fee.

6 comments:

  1. You could have your SIL come over and help him that way any money paid for labor would stay I. The family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even joked to dh that it would be cheaper to fly BOTH dd and sil over here and pay him something to help!

      Delete
  2. You may want to check into enrolling in Medicare Part B when you turn 65 even if you are still working to avoid a late enrollment penalty. I believe the penalty is waived in certain circumstances. Also, many employers will pay for their employee's Medicare supplemental plans when the employee turns 65 and transitions over to Medicare as their primary insurance. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that as long as I am working and have health insurance through my employer (with more than 20 employees) I will not be penalized for waiting to sign up for medicare when I retire and lose my insurance, after the age of 65. My employer will continue to cover me under me under their insurance as long as I am working.

      Delete
    2. One Family, From everything I have read, you are correct. Plus, once you take any part of Medicare, you can no longer contribute to an HSA.

      Delete
    3. oh yes, I keep forgetting about the HSA part of it. Another good reason to keep my work insurance when working past 65, as I can still contribute to my HSA (as well as my employer contributes some)

      Delete