Thursday, February 15, 2024

Grounded

This post is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth, but I thought it worthwhile to share.

A couple months ago I came across something I hadn't heard of before: Grounding. Also called earthing. Just me being curious, I read about it (or maybe it was a video). I was very skeptical and didn't think much more on it. Then of course, due to the "magic" of the internet, my facebook feed and news article feeds with google were filled with grounding testimonials and products for sale. I looked into it a little more. Interested in the claims of better sleep and less pain. Grounding reduces inflammation in the body, which is the cause of most health issues.

I won't go into the science of it - I can't explain it, LOL, and it sounds hokey anyway. (look it up) But, the gist is the earth/ground has properties to react with our skin/bodies, but it has be be direct contact. Not with shoes (which now most everyone wears rubber soled shoes), but with bare feet/skin. Well, I can't go try to stand outside on the grass for a half hour a day - it's 30 degrees and there was snow.

I kept reading all the reviews and comments and it was one after the other of how it works and has helped with sleep and pain. Not reviews on websites, where those can be faked, but real people with real Facebook profiles commenting. Hundreds of them, even a couple thousand of them. It was piquing my interest. I watched some more videos and went to earthing.com to look at the products. This was just before Christmas and the "mat" was for $49. I figured let's order it and give it a try. If it's a total hoax, I am only out $50.

While I usually sleep pretty well, I do experience many aches and pains, especially while sleeping. I tend to sleep on my right side, facing the edge of the bed.

I have (for years) always pretty much experienced my right leg aching halfway through the night/early morning hours. Likely from laying on that side for too long of period and my other leg laying on top of the leg, creating pressure. I then turn over to relieve it, but it will take a long time to stop aching. Around November my right shoulder started hurting me. It was hurting every day, anytime I'd use my arm in certain motions, like stirring a pot of soup. Not to mention my back and neck always hurting some, off an on (from the car accident years ago). My other issue, the past several months (or longer with my right foot) is my feet hurting when I first get up in the morning, the first several steps. Then they feel ok the rest of the day. (I'm assuming plantar fasciitis. It's been my right foot for a year or two, but the past several months also my left foot started doing it, as well. The other issue I have had for at least a year or more, is when I am sitting in my recliner in the evenings, every time I go to get up out of it, my back is a bit stuck in the bent position and it's painful to get straightened back up. Every time.

The grounding mat came Monday Jan 8th. I plugged it in to try on my bed, under my cotton fitted sheet (apparently it will work ok through thin cotton). It also needs to be to skin, not through clothes. I sleep with bare legs and feet, so no problem there. There is nothing you can really feel while touching it. I put it down where my feet and lower legs would contact it, during the night. I would say, just before I fell asleep, that first night, I felt just a bit like a very light vibration going through my body, but I certainly could have imagined it. Later I read that this is common feeling when you first use it, as your body is adjusting to it.

Then during this first night of trying it was when I got the call at 3:50am that my mom had passed, so this mat and it's effects were the last thing on my mind for a few days.

The first thing I noticed the next evening, though,when getting up from the recliner, was that there was no pain! It must just be a fluke. Or maybe there are some times I get up and no pain and just don't remember (no, there was always stiffness and pain).  Sometime during the 2nd or the 3rd night I must have kicked off where the cord snaps into the top of the mat, so it wasn't plugged in for a night or two, and I didn't realize it.

I then took it up to my desk, to try under bare feet, while sitting at my desk. I'm not sure this was too helpful, as I apparently don't sit very still! I also tend to sit with my feet back towards the rolling base of my chair, kind of on my toes. Plus I am up and down out of my chair a lot. And my feet got cold. I tried this for several days, but wasn't feeling anything noticeable in regards to my aches and pains. Plus, I wasn't working the rest of that week, due to taking time off for my mom's death, so I wasn't at my desk for long periods.  I then read a Facebook comment saying to give it a couple of weeks. I then decided to try on my bed again and turned it sideways under my bottom sheet, so that where the cord snaps into the mat was hanging over the side of the mattress and no chance of kicking it off. 

That next morning (or maybe it was the morning after) I realized that I slept all through the night with no pain in my right leg, as I get every night. Then the next night I had no leg pain. I have not had leg pain during the night since (and have been sleeping more on my right side, since I don't wake up in pain and need to turn over or stretch my leg out). A couple days later I realized my right shoulder wasn't hurting much anymore either. Maybe just a very slight ache, some days.

The weekend before last, I got up and my right foot was hardly any pain, though my left foot was still about the same. A couple/few more nights and my right foot is still pretty much pain free and my left foot pain has subsided quite a bit. 

Another surprising pain gone is I can now sleep on my stomach again, with no neck nerve pinching. I have always been a stomach sleeper, that is until my car accident. I can rarely sleep on my stomach for the past 14 years, because turning my head to either side that far always pinches a nerve. I can now sleep on my stomach if I want to. Amazing.

The last difference I have noticed, just in the past couple of weeks is I now have vivid dreams that I am remembering every morning when I wake up. I hardly ever remember my dreams. After I started experiencing this, I also came across a few other users comments that said the same thing.

I am now 100% convinced this works. To be able to sleep with no aches and pains is amazing. I definitely want dh to try it out to see if it helps him. He has so much trouble sleeping and so much pain going on. There are different products, but I'm thinking I might try the bigger sized sheet mat, that can go across the width of the mattress.

17 comments:

  1. Found your article interesting as someone who is in a lot of pain. Please do a follow up post as to your progress. It is something i will be checking out. I read your blog all the time but this is the first time posting. It would be a relief to get just some pain relief. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken to calling it my "miracle mat" LOL.

      Delete
  2. Good morning! I'd not heard of this phenom until today, but it's intriguing. I love your "product reviews" and would appreciate them even more if you would include links or at least product names for the items you purchase and like. Our cordless vacuum is nearing the ends of its service life (after 8+ years of near daily use) and I know I'm going to be looking back through your posts to remember which one you purchased.
    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a link to the grounding mat in tomorrow's blog post. For my vacuum I got the Shark ZU62 Navigator Zero-M Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Pro Upright Vacuum. It's not cordless, but does have a long cord and I have one for upstairs and one for down. Worked great when I had long pet hair to deal with and is still a vacuum I would get again.

      Delete
  3. SAM - your comments keep showing up in my comments page, but not here on the blog page. I have no idea what is causing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you, for trying something new! Anytime I want to know something, I definitely look it up too! There are so many ways to get information - but like you said, being out $50 if it didn't work isn't the worst thing ever.

    I found a study on it - makes for fascinating reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is interesting. The mat came with 2 books and a magazine, one of the books by the guy who figured this out back in the 90's.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. I will check into this.
    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds crazy, but it's definitely worked for me.

      Delete
  6. So, do you have dirt on this mat. LOL I know you don't, but it sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! No :) Thankfully no dirt required. It plugs into the ground hole in the outlet and that is how the mat grounds to the earth

      Delete
  7. Does this have anything to do with electrical fields? If so, I would not use it since electrical fields like in electric blankets can be dangerous and cause cancer. This a reason people living near the large electrical lines and the whole complex...cannot think of the name develop cancer. Studies have show that children who live in houses with more electrical wiring develop cancer or leukemia, forgot which. I would not do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this is supposed to be the same as if you went outside and walked barefoot on the earth

      Delete
  8. I believe in a lot of this stuff. Can't explain it either of course but I do believe there's something to it. Same with Chinese medicine! I mentioned on my blog quite some time ago that on a whim I bought patches for the soles of my feet that contained activated charcoal. It's supposed to draw out impurities from your body. Well I use them about twice a month, whenever my feet are aching, and now I swear by them. They definitely work for me! Gotta look into that grounding mat now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check into those charcoal patches.

      Delete
  9. Here's the thing - people lived 'grounded' for eons before we built houses with firm foundations and multiple layers of flooring, wore shoes with thick soles, etc. I think we're supposed to be closer to the earth than we are. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but I absolutely believe in grounding.

    Another thing you can do to help pain from inflammation - stay away from industrialized seed oils. The processes they have to go through to get 'vegetable' oil, canola oil, soybean oil and the like is terrible. That is a highly inflammatory food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and now most all our shoes are rubber soled and non conductive. I've really been trying to get away from those oils and reducing my process foods intake. I use olive oil and like in my cake I made the other day, instead of the vegetable oil, I used butter. But, I'd probably be even better to make a cake from scratch LOL

      Delete