Monday, February 5, 2024

Apple pie

Yesterday was a nice relaxing day. I started reading a book. Then dh wanted to play some pool. I did better at it this time, haha. I'm not very good when it's my turn to break though - just not enough force, like dh can do to get the balls to break up more. I still can't figure out why I am a left handed pool player, LOL. I am right handed, but it just feels weird to try to use my right hand with the cue stick.

After that I made an apple pie. Easiest pie. Just dump the premade pie filling into pie pan, cover with the top crust and bake for 45 minutes. It turned out good.


 



Add some vanilla ice cream and it was a nice dessert last evening. Dh doesn't care for apple pie (weirdo!). Who doesn't like apples (which he does) and pie crust? LOL

I got my copper pub/bistro table top ordered. I decided on the 20". I have a clock on a wall that is 24" and I'm like ok, that's a bit big. I was headed out to the garage (with a tape measure) to see if dh had some leftover cardboard, as he wasn't able to get all the cardboard from the 2 chair boxes in our can last week, and noticed the round garbage can lid....measured it at 20.5 inches and decided that is a fine size for a table top. Plus I saved $100 not getting the 24" size.

Here is the "process" I went through on this table when I first had the idea for copper. I googled copper pub bistro table. The cheapest I found was $890 on houzz. Plus this was for 30" and I realized that is way too big. I tried to search some more for a minute but was thinking welp, those are too dang expensive. A few days later I tried to do another search and found a 24" table for $780 and I was also seeing just tops for sale between $339 and $399. On the website for the $780 table I also realized they sold the bases and tops separately, but they wanted $650 for the top (and the smallest available was 24"). The cast iron base was reasonable at $130.

Then I looked at one of the websites selling the tops for $339. $339 plus the $130 base from the other website would make the table cost $469. Still more than I would like to spend, but now I had my heart set on a copper table and $469 sure was better than $890. Then I noticed the $339 table top also came in smaller sizes and that's how I got to the 20" top for $239. Shipping was $42, but when I put the top in my cart it popped up with a 15% off code if you enter your email, so of course I did. This pretty much covered the shipping. The site with the base had a 10% off code and that covers 2/3rds of their shipping cost. Total copper pub table: $380. The only bummer part is these copper tops are made to order and I'm going to have to wait like 6-8 weeks to get it. 

Today it's back to work. I also need to call my mom's medicare advantage insurance plan. I think she owe's something for January. I had changed her plan (but with some company) starting in January and it was supposed to auto pay, as it always had before, the first of January and it never did. I got a bill for it a week or so ago, but when I try to call the # to pay over the phone it's won't let me, nor will it let me access her account anymore. I'm lazy and would just rather pay it over the phone, rather than walk down to my mailbox at 8am and 30 degrees, LOL. 

One of the deer that has been in our yard every night got hit by a car out on the main road. So sad. It must have been just this morning, dh thought he heard something as he was getting up. He called our neighbor to see if he wanted to harvest it, but he didn't, so dh just went out and got it pulled off the road and over to the trees on the other side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. Pie looks great! I am sorry to hear about the deer; I guess that is the circle of life :(

    ReplyDelete