Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Big relief

I couldn't have gotten better news in my phone call with the estate attorney. Turns out there isn't ANY thing I have to do, at all regarding it. I mean nothing - no paperwork or anything. I figured there must be at least something to file or sign. But, since her assets (money) was all in her IRA and a joint, with rights of survivorship, checking account with me, she has no will assets to distribute. He said I don't even need to put a notice in the newspaper for creditors. Because technically she has no assets a creditor could go after in probate (not that she has any debt, anyway). So, that's that. What a huge relief to not have to deal with being an executor and all that entails. Plus, I really like this attorney and I can't think of one attorney I've ever dealt with that I actually like and feel comfortable with. Since I hardly used up his hour of free consultation, we then discussed some basic info of getting dh and I set up with a trust, which I will be doing in the near future.

Dh decided to meet up, early, on his own, with the lady selling what he wanted to buy. It's a half wine barrel made into a wine and glasses cabinet. I had to laugh at dh when I asked, ok, it's very neat, but we don't drink, what are you putting in it?? He said it's for "decor" - just get some wine bottles to put in it, LOL. We are going to hang it on the wall behind the bar area in the bonus room. (and dd and sil do drink wine, so they can have some if they want, haha). Here is Amos giving it his approval.

While he was gone the delivery driver showed up with my new chairs, so he put the 2 boxes on the front patio for me. He was going to bring the boxes inside the door for me, but they were just a smidge too wide. DH had to open the boxes outside to get the chairs in. They weren't too heavy for us to get them upstairs, much lighter than I thought. We were able to remove the bottom cushions and the wood feet were in separate bags. Just awkward to carry up the stairs, due to the size. But, we love them. DH really likes them (he hadn't seen what I picked out)

These same exact chairs are sold on a couple of the lodge/cabin type decor/furniture websites for double what I paid through good old Home Depot, (plus 10% off) LOL. I still need to get some blinds for the windows. I'm also thinking an animal rug (probably bison) of some sort there under the front of the chairs and coffee table would look good. He's always seeing them for sale on Marketplace, so I will have him keep an eye out.

It's going to be sunny and 53 today. Other than the extreme cold we had for a few days, this has been a very mild winter, so far. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from our IT. Unusual that they didn't call yesterday, so I sent another email following up on our request. Somehow it must have slipped thru the cracks on their end.


11 comments:

  1. Those are nice. Is there a chair to sit at the telescope? That is great about your mother's business being so easy to settle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. due to the height of the telescope you have to stand to look through it. When we had it down in our living room to look at the eagles nest, I had to stand on a stool, haha. We are just trying to find somewhere to put it, now that we no longer have an eagles nest to look at :(

      Delete
  2. Great news! Love the decor. I am a bit late to tell you this, but regarding furniture purchases: Having built two homes in 3 years, I have discovered a few things. First, Macy's is great quality, excellent delivery, BUT, you have to watch for the price to drop. I have two, leather, mission style recliners, which my friend admired. When she found them online, thet were $1,200 each. I told her to wait, and lots and behold, about 3 weeks later she got a notification they had dropped in price, $659/each. Also, JC Penney is what we call "pottery barn furniture for 1/3 price." Their availability, however, has been limited. Finally, as you discovered, Lowe's and Home Depot are great resources. Surprisingly, we have had HORRIBLE luch with Costco, both in quality and delivery service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH! thanks for that info. I did not know that about Macy's and JCP.

      Delete
    2. When there USED to be a Macy's nearby, we drove up to get a mattress for the first kid getting a real bed (they all got double/full beds.) There was a delivery charge, and extra surcharge due to our location. It was waived if you bought a certain amount. Clerk wisely told us to upgrade mattress set, (we were $95 short on total, delivery was $75) sying it was smarter to spend the $ on product. As for jcp, we bought daughter a white, metal canopy bed from the catalog. It was almost identical to the one she admired in Poteery Barn. I think it was $600 at Pottery Barn, (circa 2005, mind you) but $199 at jcp.Sadly, she changed it for a platform style bed (blech) when she became a teen. That came from Home Depot.

      Delete
  3. That is great news on the legal front. Big relief there.
    I like those massive chairs. Wow!
    The open wine barrel is definitely a nice piece of decor. And Amos? He's a show off.lololol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like the person who originally suggested a different distribution percentage might have profited somehow if step sibs had received something. But I'm glad your mom was able to get everything fixed and that it all comes to you. What a blessing.

    The chairs are VERY nice. Maybe you'll get another eagle nest one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, all the steps are getting a small percentage, as well as my uncle, but the majority is going to me. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that she left anything to her almost 80 year old brother, LOL. If he doesn't blow it on a car (my bets on that) then if/when he has to go into a nursing home, the state is just going to take it.....

      Delete
  5. That's excellent news on your mom's estate. One less stress at a time of stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sure is. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the attorney told me that.

      Delete