Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The next day

Thank you very much to all of you who commented with your condolences. I appreciate every one of them. It still doesn't seem quite real yet, but I'm sure after today, when we go into the funeral home to make the arrangements and then go get her things out of her room that I want to take, it will. 

Still more things to do/calls to make, but they don't have to be done in one day. Today will be the funeral home and getting her things, as well as a call to see if the moving company that moved her to m/c can also come and take away/donate the rest of her things (bed, chair, clothes, etc), which I'm sure they can. Today or tomorrow I will call her investment lady/assistant and let them know and then in a day or two call the estate attorney to find out how to go about her will. My understanding with it, due to her "estate" being under $50k, is we will just need to file an affadavit stating this, but have to wait 30 days.

I did try to call my step brother to let him know, but he didn't answer. I then sent him an email, but no response yet. This morning I logged into my mom's Facebook account (I still had her log in and password info). I will post something on there about her passing, so her friends can know. I also realized she is Facebook friends with my step sister (the only one of them who has Facebook) and so I sent her a message via messenger. I don't have their ph#'s...they were lost when my mom lost her cell phone a couple years ago.

We did go ahead and have the pool table installed yesterday, since we weren't going anywhere and wanted to get that done and not try to reschedule it. It looks perfect in our bonus room/house. We are really happy with it.

We even tried our hand at playing after dinner last night. Neither of us has played in ages and we're terrible at it, LOL, but it was very fun. We did get a little better the 2nd and 3rd games (which I won by the way, haha). And apparently I am a left handed player and never realized it.

I woke up early with a headache, so I'm up and will likely be exhausted by the end of today. I had hoped getting up and a cup of coffee would shake the headache, but it has not.

I checked again this morning and finally see the refund/credit on my credit card for the first pool table. One less thing to have to check on.

11 comments:

  1. And so life continues - but better for having had her in it.
    Look after yourselves xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the planning process and estate process both go smoothly for you. I hope folks reach out and return your calls and emails, I am glad you'll post something for her friends. They might want to attend the service or just post memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't the retirement accounts be a part of the estate? I guess I have never had anyone pass who had any money, so I don't know these things. I do hope it all goes smoothly for you. Prayers that there will be no familial interference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Alice - Any accounts that have beneficiaries go directly to the named beneficiaries and are not included in the estate. When traditional IRAs are inherited by a non-spouse, they become what are called "beneficiary IRAs" and are subject to the 10-year rule. The year following the death is Year 1, and all money must be withdrawn by the end of Year 10.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. It totally makes sense. Also, good to know. I appreciate you.

      Delete
    3. Julie is correct- IRA, 401k and insurance payouts are not considered part of the estate. They are paid directly to whoever is listed as beneficiary(ies) and do not go through the will/probate

      Delete
  4. To "One Family", I am very sorry for your loss. I received the same early-morning call two years ago from assisted living telling me my 90-year father passed away in his sleep. Even though it was not really surprising, it was still shocking to get the phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think that a person who has just lost someone is subjected to too much paperwork to deal with at the sad and emotional time. I am glad you got your pool table installed. A little levity and relaxation is great when in mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear that your mom has passed. So very sad. I hope she is singing and dancing with everyone who passed before her. My daughter's father passed 4 yrs ago and her grandfather is in the nursing home now and we are sure he will be passing on. She had a dream that her father had his arm around her grandfather and they were both so happy. Her father was standing straight up (which he hasn't done in many years and her grandfather has many things wrong, but they were both whole. It made her happy. This is my wish for your mom, she is whole again and happy.
    My sympathies to you and your family .
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pool table 😍
    I know you have a lot of phone calls to make, tons of paperwork to take care of. There's no doubt that you will handle all. Your mom was fortunate to have you & she knew it.
    May she rest in peace.
    Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose your Mom. When my MIL passed, we were able to donate some of her furnishings for other patients at the m/c facility to use. That helped to not have to move as many items.

    ReplyDelete