Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Help is on the way

It's payroll processing day. For the most part now I have (took me forever) worked out the bugs, or rather worked out "work arounds" to the systems bugs, and can now get it done much quicker. Mostly I've realized that if I work out all the bugs the day prior, then on processing day it all goes smoother. 

I was able to get ahold of my mom around 3:15 yesterday. She said that she was in her room visiting with one of the people that work there. She thought it was almost dinner time. She was very happy, still. We just chatted a couple minutes and then I heard the other person say something as she was saying goodbye/hanging up with me. She sounded elderly, too, so I'm guessing it was another resident, not a staff member, LOL. I'm happy her phone is still plugged in.

I managed to suggest to dh to get rid of a little tiny bit of his unused/unneeded stuff in his shop. 3 of those big cardboard cylinders for construction. I forget what they are called. They go in the ground. He did try to get rid of them for free a year or so ago, but no takers. Yesterday he burned them. He also threw out some scrap pieces of misc metal and stuff into the garbage can. None of it really makes much of dent in the overall picture of how much stuff is out there, but every little bit helps. The next order of lumber he put in at the lumber store should be in today or tomorrow. They had to order the beams in. Once he gets this loft done and can move so much stuff up there, it really should make a difference. This loft area will be like almost 40 feet long by 8 ft. I also told him once he has his shop floor where you can actually move around (instead of this maze in between stuff and pallets of stuff) he better not just see it as "oh, now I have room to get more stuff!". He says he is not, but he will......gradually over time.

I was literally just thinking, if our new hire was starting today my boss would have sent out a company email letting everyone know/welcoming him. Well, she just did! Ok, good. Glad to know it's happening and I now will finally have some help ;) He has class this morning so will be at the office this afternoon to get situated. He will be working remotely for the most part, so will have computer equipment and monitors, etc to get today. Mostly today he will be "onboarded" and also supposed to spend a little time with our receptionist while she shows him how to add invoices to our order system. I should probably get to start training him tomorrow, I'm sure. My boss did just set up a 30 minutes Teams meeting for this afternoon, to meet and chat with him.

I'm sure I'll be super busy training the rest of this week, but once I can get the work he will be taking over off my plate, it will be really good.


2 comments:

  1. I hope the new hire is a success!! And I am glad the phone remains plugged in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last you have help. I hope it works out. Your mother is happy in her own reality. I wonder if she feels better about the place when she thinks an employee is with her.

    ReplyDelete