Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Preparing for next Christmas

Doing a bit of shopping now for Christmas outdoor lights/decor next year. DH really wants a manger set/scene so we decided on this one. We aren't rich, so we opted for the "standard" size at about 4' tall. The largest size was $1250, way out of my budget. It's not on sale or clearance, but should give us many years of use and it will store flat in the box it comes in, so that will be good for storage space.

We had a humorous text with the neighbor text "group". Last year only our neighbors at the end of the street put up some lights, so of course dh wanted lights this year. Then they didn't put up any lights, LOL. We assumed it was because she was pregnant and they are also trying to build a shop and garage. But, last week she said since we put up lights this year, they didn't need to, LOL. Dh said oh is that how it works?! well, then next year it's Mr. Neighbors turn! So, dh texts that I've been buying stuff already for next year and he forgot to tell me next year it's Mr. Neighbors turn. Mr Neighbor replies back how can you top this year? it already looks like Disneyland, but for next year he'll put 2 red bulbs in his front porch lights. Ho ho ho!. I replied c'mon - go all out! put red bulbs in your garage porch lights too!. Then I said "how can he top this year? have you MET my husband?!!"  LOL.

I'm still waiting to hear when the loveseat will be delivered. Geez Louise! I got an email 2 days ago that it has arrived at the local delivery company and I will hear from them in 24 hours to schedule delivery. 

The wood framed mirror I ordered for the entryway is supposed to come today, so I'm excited about that. That lawnmower maintenance kit shipped usps 3 weeks ago is still "in transit" LOL.  I think someone could have walked it here faster. I don't know whether I should just request a refund and re order or what. Maybe it will get here by the time dh needs to mow the lawn again...??!!

I chatted again with my half sister yesterday afternoon helping her with Quickbooks. I was trying to help her figure out how to record her step dads credit card charges. Overall though, she's totally got this and has figured out everything quick. 

I did check my work emails this morning and had one item I needed to take care of, but it only took about 5 minutes.

My uncle called last night after his evening call with my mom. He was wondering what she has for tv service because apparently she keeps telling him she only has a few channels. LOL. I told him she has cable tv with tons of channels and that he just needs to keep reminding her she has a guide button on her remote control to see whats on. I have a feeling at times she does know to push the guide button, but then doesn't realize she has to push the down arrow button to see all the channel options below what she is seeing on her screen. Sigh......... 

I started putting some of the upstairs Christmas decor away yesterday. Can you believe I actually got this tree back in the box?! 

This is the smaller 6' flocked tree. I carefully "de-fluffed" it and didn't lose too much of the flocking falling to the floor. I also took off the Christmas bedding from the guest bed. Today I'll finish the upstairs. I need to put all my Christmas village away. I got some of it put in a box it came in, but the rest doesn't have the original box. They were just pieces bought individually years ago.

My dd and her dh are in the process of building a hall tree for their coats and shoes. They got started on it yesterday and she is so excited. I can't wait to see it. The one she showed me the picture of is perfect for their house. It also had plans on how to build so they knew exactly what to buy.

13 comments:

  1. We got a real tree this year, so it is going right outside haha. Is the manger scene weather proof? The colours won't fade etc? $1250 for a decorative item is just too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's supposed to be weather proof out of a fade resistant pvc plastic. The standard size set at 4' was $380. No way I could spend $1250! It has good reviews and one of my readers commented on my previous post that she has it and it's very nice.

      Delete
    2. oh, excellent! at 4ft that isn't too shabby on something you could use for 10+ years. if you split the price with neighbour, you just move it from yard to yard depending on whose year it is to decorate LOL

      Delete
    3. I think 4ft will be plenty big enough. I have a feeling dh is going to be the designated Christmas lights/yard decor house, haha.

      Delete
  2. So, only one person per year needs to decorate? that is a funny exchange. So, you got the 4' set? I hate the guide on the screen. She is going to enjoy her tv guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the joke - we take turns putting lights up, haha. Yes, I ordered the 4' nativity scene. I hope she can use the tv guide, but I have a feeling she won't know how to use it any better than pushing the guide button, haha.

      Delete
    2. Well, since she remembers TV Guide, maybe she can use it some. There are so many stations I do not get or do not want to entertain as good viewing. The guide I sometimes have used is in the paper and before they had it on TV screen. I took a pen and put big X on the portion that was not of interest. The print was so small I had to work too hard to see which section or stations i wanted to peruse. Maybe this might work for her. Or, maybe highlighting things she wants to watch might work. It might take some of the searching out of the equation even if the print is large enough.

      Delete
  3. Good neighbors you can enjoy a laugh with are gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do enjoy both our neighbors. And the dogs have been really good lately, LOL.

      Delete
  4. I'm retired now, but used Quickbooks to write expense checks for the company. When paying the credit card company, we would breakdown the individual charges to the account it referred too. Example... Gas and auto repairs would be charged to Auto, plane tickets would be charged to Travel, Shop for the misc items, Entertainment for breakfast/lunch/dinner expenses, etc... I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) we got it figured out for her situation. It's a bit tricky, as there are a couple of ways to handle credit cards in QB. With the companies I work for they pay off in full each month so I can just take the statement, write a check to the cc vendor with all the charges broken down by category. But her step dad makes payments, so we had to create a cc GL account where she can post the charges to and then when he makes a payment it applies towards that GL account.

      Delete