Thursday, February 28, 2019

Just dumbness all around

The snow is delaying stuff. Not really a big deal, but the flooring was supposed to be delivered Tuesday and put in the house to acclimate.  The installer guy show up at 10:45 am yesterday, with the flooring. DH had run into town to mail a package. I went out to the house to talk to them. We went over what flooring goes where.  I explained we really wanted to try and get these great room ceiling fan and lights installed before the flooring got laid down there, because of the scaffolding. He was like "ok, good to know. He said they were going to bring it in and get started. I then asked - doesn't it need to acclimate at least 24 hours before you can start laying it? His reply was "it's been stored in 65 degrees, so it's ok". Doesn't that sound to you like he plans to start laying wood laminate today?

So, I called the flooring guy to ask him. He said that the installer was only supposed to do the vinyl areas and not start on wood laminate until the next day. I said, ok, just making sure because that's sure not what it sounded like. He also said he called the manufacturer of the wood laminate the prior day to ask them how long it needs to acclimate and they said 24 hours is enough.  Ok, we'll trust you. We've been into this project almost a year, so another day or two delay, to make sure it's done right, is not a problem for us. He said he understood and agreed - that they weren't going to be taking any short cuts. He said he would call the installer to make sure he's letting the flooring acclimate at least 24 hours.

Then a little later, when I went back out there to answer some question the installer guy says "oh, we weren't going to start on the wood laminate today, that's tomorrow"........but then about 1 1/2 hours later his other guy leaves in his car and doesn't come back. Probably because he had planned on having him start on the wood laminate?!! (he was working on the vinyl area) My guess is they thought they'd just go ahead and start it and we'd be none the wiser of how it's supposed to be done. Wrong!


So, before the flooring guy left yesterday he told DH he has more boxes to bring in the next morning and wanted to use the front door to bring it in through. We have the front door closed/blocked, also with a sign on it saying "use garage door". From where they have to park out front either door is about equal distance. We don't want everyone using the front door. It will get scratched or stained or something. There's no reason they need to be using it. DH told him no, and he tried to argue with him.  So, he shows up this morning and I got out into the house and tell him "hey, we don't want anyone using the front door. You can use the side garage door or you can open up one of the big garage doors and unload through there. I said it twice! He says ok. 

Next thing you know he's having the electrician move his truck so he can park 3 feet closer to the front door and he's trying to open the front door. I went out there and said "we don't want you to use the front door, you can open the big garage door, if you want". He then says "oh, it's ok. I talked to your husband about using the front door yesterday and he said it was ok". I said no, he said he didn't want you using it. That's why I came out here when you first got here to tell you not to! OMG!!

The painter lady is annoying the heck out of us. She had told DH before she would need the garage space as her "work area". ok, no problem. Then Tuesday and yesterday she does all her sanding, staining and lacquering in the great room and then moved all the staircase steps in our master bedroom.These rooms are now in the "finishing" stage - she doesn't need to be doing that in there! We don't need sanding/dust everywhere over the new flooring and just painted walls. They don't clean up. DH ends up doing it. Not to mention they took these boards they use across saw horses to lay stuff on she's sanding/painting/staining and just set them up against our newly painted bedroom wall. Just dumb! Let's just mark that up. DH was checking in with our contractor about stuff  last night and he said the same thing! "She shouldn't be doing that in the house, she needs to go it all out in the garage. You don't want to be smelling lacquer in your bedroom for the next 10 years!"  She hasn't even shown up today, LOL.

So, our electricians are here. Sure love them, though. They are on the ball and not stupid. All my lights showed up with FedEx right after they got here. Yay. Except, the ceiling fan light........GRRR! I went back online and it was the last thing on the list and showed shipped and I thought it was with everything else. Tracking on it showed "not available". I called Lowes customer service and she was able to tell me that it shipped direct from their vendor and is supposed to arrive to me tomorrow.  And then I realized I totally spaced out on a bunch of light fixtures! I guess I thought they were can lights type (that the electrician is supplying), so, now I need to get a bunch of lights for bedroom ceilings and closets. Dumb me.

And just to start the morning off on a great note.....Dh got up early to plow out the driveway (again!) and somehow smashed his ring finger. It started swelling up. He tried to get the swelling to go down so he could get his wedding ring off. Not happening. He messed with it for a good hour or two. Not happening and it was getting bad. I had mentioned earlier, just cut the ring off! No!. Finally, he said, I think I'm going to have to cut it off. I said I'd rather ruin a $50 (back in 1985 price!) ring than spend $20,000 on your finger!! He got the electrician guy to use cutter/snips and get it off. He's in a much better mood now. Men!

9 comments:

  1. You can do this. You are a very patient individual. Take deep breaths and imagine how wonderful it will be once everything is all over. If the snow was not so bad, I would suggest you get away from it all for at least a few hours. That flooring guy and the painter lady... I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I walked back in the shop and told DH that the flooring guy said he told him yesterday he could use the front door, DH's mouth just dropped open. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I have found the builder and contractor and sub contractors all operate with different rules and methods of doing construction. We have done a couple of additions to houses and that is enough building for me. We are about ready to scale down and when we do we will buy something move in ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are reminding me of why I said I'd never build again when we built our house! some contracters are just rude - you're almost done though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm emotionally drained today but wanted to stop by and say how much I like your staircase configuration. As for the rest, I hope all these contractors are soon out of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. i just read your post. I am tired and worn out for you!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't be this patient. I'm sure it all will be lovely, but goidness you've had to be a hawk.

    ReplyDelete