Tuesday, May 14, 2024

A lovely weekend

I took a few days off from blogging to enjoy the weekend with dd and sil. It was really nice to have them here. They got here just after noon on Saturday (they left their house at like 5am) and left around 2pm yesterday. The weather was sunny and warm all weekend. I received my first Mother's Day gift as they got their bags out of the car - a pot of annual flowers.

Saturday afternoon we enjoyed the bonus room with the pool table and pinball machine. For dinner I baked that chicken/pasta/alfredo from Costco and that was very good. We all liked it. Then we were back up in the bonus room for the evening. Both of them agreed the 2 big chairs I got for up there are super comfortable to sit in.

Sunday was the day to spread my mom's ashes into the river. I'm thankful the weather was so nice for it.  Of course when we got down there, there was a fishing boat with 2 guys going by, so we had to/wanted to wait until they got down around the bend. I had bought some pink roses and dd had brought some pink carnations.We dropped those into the river to follow her ashes. As we stood there watching them floating away, we said oh, we should have taken a picture of the flowers! This is the best we got from far away

Our little game trail down to the river is steep and going back up I usually have to stop at least 2 times to catch my breath and let my heart slow a bit (a lot due to the heart med I take), but this time I only had to stop once. I was very surprised, since I've also gained a good 8 pounds or more since the last time I hiked back up it. 

Then we went into the city and took some of the roses to leave for dh's mom at the cemetery. On the way back I wanted to swing into Costco just to see if they had any hanging baskets, but they did not. Then I said for Mother's Day I want a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait. We decided to go inside and eat some lunch and then got the ice cream. I don't think I've ever eaten DQ food and it's wasn't too bad.

Since it was a bit of a later lunch, no one was much hungry for dinner. We decided to just do some leftovers and munch on other stuff I had. DH and SIL were outside with sil taking some pictures with his good camera and dd and I played some cribbage. We had hoped to see the northern lights on Saturday night, but got to see nothing, which was disappointing since the news made it sound like we should see it again on Saturday.

They got me 2 books and a gift card to thriftbooks so I can order some more books for my bookcases.

It was nice having work off yesterday and it felt like it was Sunday yesterday. Our internet is still intermittantly being slow. Yesterday morning was the worst of it, for a couple hours, then it got up to half speed and then normal. This morning it's at half speed again. I'm going to wait until it's really bad again and call them when it's super slow so they can also see that from their end.

DD finally ordered the grounding mat for their bed and it got delivered to their house yesterday, so I'm excited to see if they notice any benefits. I know she's sure hoping it helps with her dh's snoring, LOL. My dh is still basically snore free now. Just a little light snoring if he lays on his back.

I see it's time to log into work. At least it's a 4 day week and then next week I have a 3 day week and the week after that is 4 days. Sounds good to me!


5 comments:

  1. That was a sweet idea to spread her ashes and toss pink flowers. Mother's Day at your house sounded successful. I have only had DQ food twice because--ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to honor your mom.

    We didn't eat out much when I was a kid, but one place we went a couple of times a year was DQ.

    Also, I love a good short work week! I work from home on Mondays and in the office the rest of the week. It almost feels like a short work week that way, to me. The best part is, if there is a holiday on Monday, I get to work from home on Tuesday. Even shorter week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tribute. We had no luck seeing anything on Saturday either, but Friday night was spectacular. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet tribute to your mom. Love the flowers you got to float with her. I need to get the grounding mat for my mom, maybe it would help her restless leg syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful way to honor your mom.

    ReplyDelete