Wednesday, May 17, 2023

More just wow

The "just wow" was even worse yesterday. My assistant clocked in for 3 hours of work....and did NOTHING at all. About halfway into that 3 hours my boss tried to call him to see if he could come into the office today (Wed) for a meeting with her. He didn't answer, so she left him a message. He's coming to see her at 1pm today.

He logged in at 9am this morning to start work, but my system shows he did not actually start doing anything until 9:29. Then over the next 7 minutes he added 4 invoices until 9:36. Then he didn't do anything else until 9:58 and for the next 5 minutes added 6 more invoices. This is about how long it takes to add the invoices to our system. It's just adding an invoice#, date, and total amount. So what did he do the first half hour and what did he do for 22 minutes between adding invoices? Nothing. Like I told my boss - it's not like he's trying to field emails in between (he gets no emails to deal with).

She said she's about 90% ready to fire him. But, she's also a softy and being face to face with him, who knows how it will end up. But like she said when we talked on the phone this morning - we are not going to babysit an employee. I said, well maybe if he wants to keep the job he needs to work in the office, rather than remote.

Mostly I'm just astounded that he thinks we don't notice nothing is getting done. Oh and of course there is the huge matter of him lying about his computer connection issues on Friday and getting help from our inside IT guy. He was doing well and productive up until last week. This morning I went through what he got done last week. He got paid for 32 hours....I told my boss he got done 7 hours worth of work (and that's me being generous with time). Monday this week was similar and then 3 hours of absolutely nothing yesterday.

I have a feeling she's going to be giving him another chance.

11 comments:

  1. I’m just shaking my head At giving this guy another chance. You know the saying “ if someone shows you who they are believe them.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. If she does keep him on, at this point going forward I would always question everything he tells us

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with the saying, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them." Not trustworthy, nor cost effective. Working in the actual office is a good compromise, as long as someone can keep an eye on him. He'd probably quit if required to go into office to work.

      Delete
  2. He is lucky she is a softy. But, when she fires him, it will be a shock to him since he has gotten away with this behavior. I think he is doing schoolwork. Tommy thinks he is hanging out with friends or girlfriend. We will probably never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is doing schoolwork, too, but it could be like Tommy says because a couple of times he has not responded at all to a message from myself or my boss for an hour or more

      Delete
  3. The lie part is the worst. Laziness is one thing but, being a liar is entirely something else. I would let him go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really needs to be let go. The lie sealed the deal for me.

      Delete
  4. He is certainly not trustworthy. Hoping your boss gives him the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you resign your job in the UK you have to show good reason for doing so in order to qualify for unemployment benefits - now called, I believe, Job Seeker"s Allowance
    However if you are sacked the path to this allowance is much more straightforward.
    In the 1970s I employed a girl who was hopeless. I hoped she would move on but she didn't. When I finally sacked her she smiled and said: "Good, now I can claim Unemployment Benefit"
    Could something similar be going on with your worker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you have to work xx number of quarters to even qualify. I think it’s like 4 of the last 6 or something. If you are fired for cause the employer can contest the claim, and if they determine someone was fired for a legal reason the person can’t get it. Also, a new hire usually has a probation period of 3-12 months, with 3-6 mos being most common,and during that time they can be let go for basically any reason. It’s very difficult to fire an employee in Montana after the probation period is over. Employers really need to have paperwork to back up their actions. If they have followed the law the employer usually wins contested unemployment hearings.

      Delete
    2. The company I work for and 90% of it's employees is in another state, not Montana. I work remote from here. I'm sure he wouldn't even have enough hours in to qualify for unemployment yet

      Delete