Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Good news, bad news and sad news

I'm sad this morning. I just found out one of my long time co-workers was forced to retire (he is 67) due to severe memory issues. I guess it's been going on awhile and he's refusing to accept it, realize he is having issues. My boss said it was one of the hardest things she's had to deal with in letting him go. I'm tearing up just thinking about this for him. So so sad.

In other news, Mr Neighbor emailed (they always email each other) that one of his son's dogs (the big, barking one) had to be put down (he is old). Sad for the old dog, but can't say we are going to miss having him next door for half the year, every year.....then Mr. told dh that son and family will be coming mid June for who knows how long because he's supposed to use up a bunch of vacation time (he's military)....UGH UGH UGH! Why can't they spend their vacation time at their vacation cabin near where they live? LOL

But - the good news is he has to (apparently) use it up because they are getting transferred to another part of the country! That is great news for us - less visits, most likely. They won't be able to just drive over here in 7 hours. And that means their move to their property they bought here in this state has been deferred for the time being.

Mostly I'm just sad for my coworker. It's heartbreaking. He'd been with the company 17 years and was kind of an odd duck, but he was our odd duck.

11 comments:

  1. It really is too bad about the guy with dementia since he seems so young. Well, he is young. I like that he was your odd duck. lol
    I wonder if the people will get another dog. Probably since those kinds of people seem to not know they are causing problems. Only seven hours? Somehow, I thought they lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are smart enough to know moving isn't a good time to get another dog, but wouldn't surprise me one bit.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is sad about your co-worker. I hope he has the support in place to deal with all that comes with memory loss. 67 is so young :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is too bad that he didn’t go out on long term disability to stretch his payments and insurance out but at least he is full retirement age. It is tragic for him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really should have, that's for sure, but apparently he's not accepting the reality.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about your co-worker. I once had to go see a geriatrics doctor for my BIL's dad to have her adjust a prescription. As I was in the waiting room, I saw a poster that listed about 20 things about dementia. One of them was: "As long as you know you are forgetful, that is not dementia. When you are in denial when everybody around you tell that you are forgetful, then you probably have a problem". This one stuck with me since then. I wish him and his family the best. It will not be an easy ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good fact about dementia. I remember when my mom went to her dr (her boyfriend went with her) and the dr told her she has "severe short term memory loss". Her bf emailed me that evening to tell me what the dr said, so I already knew. When I got my mom on the phone her reply "doctor said there's nothing wrong with me!".

      Delete
  5. That's sad news for your co-worker, especially if he is refusing to accept that he is having difficulties. I do hope he doesn't need the job financially and can settle into retirement, even if it wasn't what he wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. He is at age to get full social security and my boss said they gave him a good severance package.

      Delete
  6. My friend's dad still works and is very ill; his workplace is basically saying he can get EI - so $400.00 a week OR retire :/ not even discussing a severance package for him to help him.

    ReplyDelete