Thursday, February 20, 2020

Thursday tasks

In paying the bills for work, I see our UPS weekly bill is about 20 times what it usually is. Yikes. Over $5k in 3rd party charges from one of our mfg's who used our UPS account. Usually I will get a heads up from whoever in our company authorized our UPS to be used (usually to fix a job problem), but I had nothing on this huge charge of numerous shipments - all next day air shipments. I sent a copy to my boss to give her a heads up and see if she knew anything about it. She just emailed back that she just created a %*&% storm with those involved in this. Bottom line is we ended up earning like $50 in commission and paying over $5k in freight. She said there is now a meeting set up with all those involved (in several departments) so in the long run it is going to help their procedures and communications so that something like this doesn't happen again and thanked me for bringing it to her attention - thanked me twice! I always look over bills pretty closely and after so many years of paying the same bills I'm pretty in tune to what is normal and what is not.

I ended up with a decent MTurks day yesterday of $13.37. Mostly thanks to one hit that paid over $5 and took about a half hour.

I am finally taking this afternoon off work and going to visit the retirement living place my mom and I are interested in. I'll do the tour, get all the info, and then I'll stop at Walmart and pick up my grocery order. I just got an email that the bread isn't in stock. GRR! DH is specific in the bread he likes for lunch sandwiches, so now I'll have to stop at other store(s) to try to find. If I have time I want to slip in to Ross (right near the retirement place) and see if they have any small baskets I can use for my pantry - for things like taco seasoning packets, etc.  The weather is sunny, clear and mid 40's (by the afternoon, it's 18 right now) and the roads are clear and dry, so good to go.....by myself! LOL. DH always thinks he has to drive me. I know he wanted to work on his base trim in the shop and when I told him about my plans yesterday afternoon he said "oh, I guess I won't be doing my boards then" I said "I can go by myself! The roads are fine and I'm sure you don't want to have to walk around a retirement place". He said oh good. Whew! I really didn't want him to go anyway. I need a break from him, haha. It will be a nice drive and a good break. The only bad part is my boss has today and tomorrow off, but I'll work half the day and then when I get home I'll check for anything urgent that needs to get done (usually just purchase orders) and I'll leave a out of office reply with that info.


8 comments:

  1. Good luck on the retirement place. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is a very nice place where your mom will be happy.

    Kudos on the outrageous shipment cost. Hope, your boss will remember this to give you a nice raise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping she will remember too...and all the other extra stuff since July (when we switched payroll companies)

      Delete
  2. Hope the retirement place turns out to be all that you and your mom would want it to be. Enjoy your afternoon off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was really nice having a little break.

      Delete
  3. For storing small items, I use tins from wherever. I hate taking off the lids, though. Uniform baskets should work well to hold those sliding items. I hope the home for your mother is just what works well for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like your previous suggestion of using canning jars (I think it was you who suggested it)

      Delete
  4. I hope the tour of the place goes well. I pictured you hopping into the car like Fred Flintstone, off to run the errands!!

    ReplyDelete