Monday, February 3, 2020

Pantry talk

DH took the next step to getting the pantry shelves done. He went and got the lumber this morning at the town lumber store. I am hoping to have some pantry shelves by the end of this week! Originally we were going to do some wood shelves with these metal brackets, but dang, the brackets were pretty spendy and would have been several hundred dollars just in brackets. He decided to mount them on "rail" of wood secured to the wall, if that makes sense. Way cheaper. His lumber store total came to $118.

First he'll need to measure again, then cut his lengths. Then stain them and let dry. Then he can start installing them. He's using heavy duty black screws and I think he already has enough of those left from a previous purchase.

I want to get some airtight canisters to put a lot of the food in. I'm kind of watching for a good deal. I think that is what I will put my $50 giftcard towards. I'm thinking this large set for $90. I've also been looking at lots of recipes for making your own mixes, like taco seasoning, cream of soup, brownie mix, etc. I also want to get a few baskets to put on the shelves, so I think next time I have time to go into Ross store, I'll look there. They usually have low priced stuff like that.

I'm having a good day with MTurks. At $13.68 for far, from quick hits that are paying well and also just received an email that I got a $2.50 bonus.

That's about all that's going on today, other than still super busy with work.

8 comments:

  1. That’s how dh did my pantry shelves when we remodeled our kitchen. Then he added some support legs because I can really load up pantry shelves. My new pantry isn’t as big as the old one, but it’s much more functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's going to add a vertical beam in the corner for support. I'll have pics when he gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put in shelves on rails, too. But, they were bathroom shelves, so thin and had few things on them. Plus, they were only about 20" wide. I also put some in a closet on rails. I could not do the nailing or drilling, so I marked the walls for rails, and had a friend who was very afraid to do it. He did it and was surprised he did it right...lol. They worked well. I love wooden shelves. I like to leave them loose, just set them on shelves so they can be moved up or down if they are too tall or short. Remember, the containers you are getting are not airtight. All plastic lets air through the plastic. I prefer Ball jars.

      Delete
    2. I want to have some larger size containers, like for cereal and such. I don't mind the plastic - this really isn't for long term storage purposes - it's food stuff we will be using up regularly.

      Delete
  3. Those containers are very nice. I love how the kids are interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the containers. When you are done, your pantry will look vey organized I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so :). Anything has got to be better than how it's been since we moved in - haha! a small bookcase and stuff on the floor!

      Delete