Sunday, February 9, 2020

Ready to stock up

Finally! I have pantry shelves!

I think I'll be able to store a good bit of food in there :) And it has the rustic look I wanted. I've been looking at the food storage container sets. As usual I have to over think and over analyze a purchase (yes - I even get tired of my own brain!). I was all leaning towards this huge 26 pc set on Amazon for $90. Then I realized I don't need 26 containers! I wrote down what foods I have that I would keep in containers and came up with like 12. Now I can spend like half that. Much better. But, I still can't decide which ones to get. Sigh......

DH spent pretty much all day on it. He got up and went to the lumber store in town and bought the beam. Then he got back and started installing and screwing down all the shelves.Where the shelves meet each other he decided to drill holes and put in a piece of doweling to add support. Then he measured the beam for length and where to cut the notches for the shelves to fit. That took him awhile to get notches cut into the beam. Then he stained and let it dry. Last evening he was able to add the beam, for the finishing touch.


There's also a little bit of wall space inside (you can't see in pic) on each side of the door. I want to get a wall mounted spice rack to hang there.

 Maybe one of these days he'll get to our master closets, LOL.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your hubby is very talented.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't think so, but he does pretty good, I think. He finds it hard to hold his attention for a big project (I'm same way) and likes projects that he can do quickly. This one was a bit harder for him, but he's happy with it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I have two pantries in my house (last house I built was designed by Mormons, and now I have to have to two pantries) opposite one another in the tiny hallway leading off the kitchen to the laundry room. I upgraded to solid shelves on the larger pantry which was worth it. (Never using wire again in a pantry).This left the smaller pantry with a bi-fold door which I had them wire, and turned into a sewing closet. I have a counter the length of the closet, for my machine, two outlets, and lighting above--still plenty of room to store food, but we are past that stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a pantry in the house we lived in for 27 years and then the little house we bought in town, before this house, had a small pantry closet, but it was in the laundry room, so not handy at all. This will be nice.

      Delete
  3. I love your shelves. Kudos to your DH! I am sure when he gets to your closets, those will be lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I think he's more ready to tackle the closets now that he knows he could do this job pretty well.

      Delete
  4. That's a wonderful pantry! How wonderful to have a spouse who can do those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really nice and was pretty inexpensive with him doing it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I can't wait to get some nice containers to store some of the food in.

      Delete
  6. I love the pantry! He did a good job, it appears from here...lol. Get all 26 containers as you will need them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old big house had a walk-in pantry, which could hold food and other miscellaneous things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really nice to have all the shelving and floor space to use. My kitchen layout doesn't have a bunch of cupboards and cabinets, so having this finally done is going to help a lot.

      Delete
  8. He may take his time but he certainly does a good job doesn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! That will be super useful.

    ReplyDelete