Thursday, July 20, 2023

A bit of a depressing day

I see our fellow beloved and funny blogger Sluggy is having some health issues and won't be able to blog for at least awhile. I do so pray and hope she finds some answers and sooner rather than later. Dealing with neurologists and trying to get appointments is so hard and stressful.

I took my extended lunch break today to stop in and see my mom and get groceries. I couldn't park in the memory care parking lot as they had it block off for re-sealing. Cars were parking along the street sidewalk and I was going to park there but it looked like they had the sidewalk blocked off, too, for some reason. So, I went around the block to take a better look and saw a worker walking in along the side of the parking lot and then over to another section of the sidewalk along the front of the building. Otherwise I was going to have to drive clear around to the front of the whole facility (where the independent and assisted living part is) and walk clear through the whole place to get back to memory care. I found a spot to park on the side of the street and went in the usual memory care entrance, but all that delayed me a good 5 minutes or more.

Mom was having a very confused day. She was sitting in her room in her recliner when I got there. I know she knew she knew me, but apparently she still wasn't certain who I was, as she asked my name. But, then she'd say "I've been thinking of calling you but I'm not sure I have your number". Then she commented she hasn't been able to call her parents either....but then she said "well, I guess they are probably gone by now" and I said yes. So, pretty much the whole 25 minutes I was there it was just a repeated conversation about my phone number and calling her parents. Bummer. Sometimes she'd mention calling her parents and says "but they are probably gone, right?" and other times she'd say "have you heard from them in awhile?" When she'd say that I'd just say no, not for awhile now. I haven't heard her mention her parents since that first week we moved her in.

So, that was kind of a depressing visit. My grocery pick up was quick and easy and straight back home to unload and back to work. It's always nice to have more dinner choices after grocery shopping, LOL, then getting down to the end and well....we have this left to eat, haha.

It's hot out, low 90's. One thing that is better about the memory care place is the a/c. The whole place and her room is so much more comfortable than her apartment at the senior living place was. She had a wall unit that did heat and a/c and of course she was forever messing with it, plus it didn't do that great of job to keep it cooler, so this place is much better. I can go into her room at this place and be totally comfortable. I'm never feeling like it's so warm I can barely stand it, like before (winter or summer).


7 comments:

  1. That is sad she asks about her parents and wants to call them. I do think it is remarkable that she has always been so cheerful and people really enjoy talking with her. I wonder why the change or if this is just a moment.
    It is too hot to do much walking. Or, maybe Montana is not so hot.
    Last night and this night, I asked Tommy if more meat was thawed. He said no, but we have lots of leftovers. Well, he changed his mind and mentioned turkey tenders, so that is it. Turkey is just like chicken, so not much change there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if maybe she had been napping in her chair and I woke her up and that's where the confusion was from. Hard to say, but then I remind myself that she is going to decline more and more as time goes by.

      Delete
    2. if it's a difference in a short time period, you might want to ask that she be tested for a UTI - she may feel no symptoms, but it can cause confusion in the elderly

      Delete
  2. It can be depressing when the person we love with dementia seems to take a backward step.
    I remember a lovely conversation with my aunt who although she had brain cancer was bright and clear.
    The following day I was met with a blank stare.
    She looked hard at me and said: " Well I don't know... but you look like your mother, whoever you are "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I know she was happy to see me, but honestly, if some random person walked in and said hello to her, I have a feeling she'd act the same way, haha.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly how hard this is. My mom has dementia and about two months ago she started asking me if I knew her parents had died, like it was recent. My grandfather has been gone for about 25 years and my grandmother for 18. She didn't even remember me being at the funerals. Dementia is so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's hard to know what to say, especially when they just keep asking it over and over. My grandpa also died 25 years ago and my grandma died 10 years ago. I find it so interesting that she never ever mentions or asks about her husband of 36 years

      Delete