Thursday, September 23, 2021

It's the gallbladder for the win

The endoscopy is done. They did put dh completely under for it, so now the charge makes sense...I guess, haha. Still so expensive for less than an hour. The end result is the dr thinks it is his gallbadder (and the sludge) causing the pancreatitis and he is recommending a consult with a surgeon as he feels it's best to have removed. So, that will be next on the agenda.

There was about an hour of checking in and prep time and I got to stay back there for that. Then they took him back for the procedure and I went back out to the waiting room. I waited about an hour and they came and got me to take me back as he was getting woke up. He was coughing a lot at first. And totally loopy!!! I'm like OMG, stop talking! haha! The nurse kept offering him water or juice and he kept saying "can I have Mountain Dew?" LOL. He kept asking "who woke me up?". That lasted a good 15 minutes or so and then he started getting normal and the dr came in and explained it all. Then he got dressed and walked out of there. Hungry, LOL. We stopped at McDonalds on the way home and he got lunch to eat on the way home. 

He's doing fine, though says his throat is a little sore, which is to be expected. Hopefully once the gallbladder is gone he'll start to feel much better.

10 comments:

  1. The gallbladder makes perfect sense. Hopefully they can get that sucker out without a hospital stay.
    Outpatient should do it.
    How's the kitty kat doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds like it should be a laparoscopic type surgery, but a surgeon will confirm. He said most recover very quickly. Kitty is good. Active, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Well, good for getting it done and decided. My daughter had hers taken our by laparoscope and was home in the afternoon and fine the next day. Of course, she was not supposed to do anything. Ex had his removed 25 years earlier and was in the hospital for over a week. It was rough and now he can be unzipped...big scar.

    At least it will be over and there is no more mystery.

    Tommy is around the moment I wake up and he says I talk logically and immediately. Nurses are surprised. The first words out of my mouth are "I want food."

    Do you leave the kitten in the cage all day when you are gone? What is his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds like it will be laparoscopic type, so that is good. I did put the kitty in the cage while we were gone. Don't trust him enough yet, though I have been letting him stay out of the cage, but with my office door shut, for short periods. I bring him downstairs but he comes back up, LOL. I named him Amos.

      Delete
  3. Gallbladder was my first thought when you first blogged about this. My experience with my cholecystectomy: I was wheeled back around 10:a.m., recovery by 10:30, home by noon.(Apparently I made DH pick up doughnuts, and get me a latte on the way home.) I spent one day off of laying low, then back to running 3 miles the following day. About 2 weeks after the procedure, I realized how *good* I felt compared to the years of feeling poorly due to an undiagnosed gallbladder disease. (Not fat, not over forty, not of fair coloring, so it wasn't on the radar.) DD had hers out at age 11--emergency situation, as a stone was actively blocking the bile duct. Whisked from a walk-in clinic to Children's on Sunday, but the stone dislodged en route. We decided to go ahead and let them admit her to have the surgery the following morning, (rather than as she arrived, as the condition had indicated, or rescheduling for later in the month.) She was operated on later in the day on Monday, home by Tuesday. They were both laparoscopic procedures. The only thing we need to be careful of is eating too much fatty food in one sittings, or, in my case, eating too late in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from what I'm hearing most people say they feel so much better after having it removed. So far the only person who hasn't felt better is my niece, but I've kind of come to the conclusion she is a bit of a hypochondriac, so I think she's always going to have some kind of health problem going on.

      Delete
  4. One good thing about having your gallbladder removed is that you don't have to worry about gallbladder cancer. It's not a common cancer, but I think about it because at age 78 my mom was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer that had spread to her liver, and she lived for only 5 months after the diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true. Sorry to hear about your mom. My grandma got breast cancer at 80 and ended up having a double mastectomy. I can't imagine going through all that at that age, but then she lived to 95.

      Delete
  5. Well that's progress at least. Glad for both of you that that is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's good to have some answers and direction to take from here with it.

      Delete