Monday, November 2, 2020

Preparing for the days after

I think no matter which side of the political aisle you sit on, we will all be glad when tomorrow is over and done with. Come what may, I think dh and I are as ready as we can be, for ourselves, here at our little dot on the map. The chest freezer acquired last spring is much fuller now (and more organized thanks to my new bins). The pantry shelves are full. I picked up a big grocery order on Saturday, with more extras to have on hand. I have 3 months of dog food on hand. Tomorrow we are going to run into town and fill the car up with gas, as well as dh needs to fill up his gas cans (he uses for lawn mowers and quad for snow plowing). Other than that we are just praying for this country.

Weather today and tomorrow is 60 degrees! Quite the change from a week ago, LOL. It's still freezing overnight, but at least the days have been sunny, nice and warm. Egg production is kind of all over the board, haha. Some days I still get 4 eggs (Friday and Saturday), some days 3 and some days only 2. DH messed up that new heated waterer even more! Geez. He kept saying he thinks it's dumb that they fill from the bottom and then you have to flip it over. Well, it's designed that way because of how it works for the water to flow into the bottom part, LOL. So, what does he do? He cuts a hole into the top of the waterer, so he can fill it that way. Then realizes that doesn't work.......well, it will  work if the water fills in really fast (like from outside pump - that I can't use now that it's winter...). He also doesn't like the fact that it's a combination of plastic and heated parts. So, I think I am going to now just buy the metal waterer and the metal heating base (that is what my friend in town says she uses). The heated base does appear to have a long plug in cord. Not like the stupid 15" cord this plastic one came with and started this whole mess.

Starting out Monday with some of my same complaints from last week - a dog barking. Though it woke dh up again, at least he didn't stay barking. Neighbors are trying again to address the issue. The problem is they now only have one bark collar that works. If they put it on the main barker, their other male dog roughs and plays and chews it up (which is what happened to the other working one they had). Since it was their female dog who was barking all week (she doesn't usually bark) they are putting the working one on her today to see. Of course it was one of the boy dogs barking this morning. And another request for a purchase order, with no ship to address, LOL

I got 2 of my sketches framed and hung up in our master bathroom. I'm going to get a few more frames. I am going to hang 2 more in the bathroom - one over tub and one over toilet. Another I am going to put in the upstairs bathroom. I just need to get some more frames.


I was in the chicken coop yesterday afternoon, just trying to do a little housekeeping. Just trying to scoop the poop droppings below where they sleep into the covered bucket I use for that (in between full cleanings). The chickens were not cooperating, LOL. They had to be right where I was trying to reach past. I had moved aside their feeder, off the blocks, so I could reach over into the corner of the coop but they were all in the way. Finally I just set their feeder down outside where they walk around and they all went back down the ramp, haha.

I'm glad I only have 4 to clean up after ;)


10 comments:

  1. I bought the metal waterer and made the heater. I used something like a metal bucket but not. It had a hole on the side near the solid end, not the open end. I put a spotlight in the hole and then put the bulb in the socket. That should work for you. But, since mine would be outside, I found a popcorn tin, took a bait bucket and put it inside the tin with some big rocks inside the bait bucket. With the 60 watt light on and the whole thing sitting outdoors, nothing froze even in -9F weather. I am sure your husband could put something together. Oh, I got a 16x16" paver to place on the ground. Even the spotlight was cheap at 90% off after Christmas one year at Lowe's. Funny about the chickens needing to be where you were working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocks and styrofoam bait bucket inside the popcorn tin were insulation and a heat sink.

      Delete
    2. He did put a slab of concrete down this weekend under the waterer. That new one would swing on the hanger in the slightest nudge and spill water over. It was making their walk around area a muddy mess.

      Delete
  2. Those are some good looking chickens!!
    I know they like their house. :)
    Those are nice drawings that you have & are hanging up.
    Hopefully tomorrow & the rest of this week will be peaceful. 🤞🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the chickens :) They sure have personalities and are so chatty.

      Delete
  3. Those pictures are a really nice addition. I would hate the water to swing. Wet ground is not good for chickens, well not all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the smaller waterer I used all summer didn't seem to swing and splash like this big one does.

      Delete
  4. Better to be safe than sorry in terms of preparation. Love that you get such joy from the chickens! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's good to be prepared for any type of emergency. It helps a bit with peace of mind in these unsure times. The chickens were funny this morning. I went out to give them their bread treat. Two were down eating up as I dropped the pieces. Two were in the nesting area squawking away. I opened the door and they were both sitting in the nesting boxes. Yelling at me - hey! wait for us! We can't get bread right now - we've got eggs coming out our butts!!

      Delete
  5. I have used a electric dog bowl for water for years with success. I run an extension cord up the side wall with no issues from the chickens pecking either. Maybe try that route?

    ReplyDelete