Saturday, November 7, 2020

Money and wildlife

Well, good grief. My new "upgraded" credit card showed up in the mail yesterday. Ok, good. So, I go to sign on to activate it and the website is down, LOL. I suppose I should research what extra "benefits" this new card has compared to my old one. And of course, while they kept my same card#, the 3 digit code is different, so I will probably have to change my bills I auto pay with it. I just tried to access my account again this morning and it keeps going to a bad page. I logged in with my phone app, but there was no option to activate the card. Weird. Then I tried logging in with a different browser and that let me log in.

While I was searching for the envelope in my desk drawer  (while it was sitting in my mailbox) I came across my statement from my homeowners insurance that renewed last August. So, I put that in a good spot and set a reminder on my calendar for next July to get some quotes from other companies. $2800 a year seems like a lot (up from $2400 last year). It's not like we are in a flood plain. We are very high bank river and are not considered in any flood zone. 

Also in the mail was an offer from AmEx for a credit card. Spend $1000 in 3 months and earn $200. (also zero % interest for 15 months). I decided that would be an easy $200 to get so I applied online and was instantly approved. It showed my FICO score is 771. Nice.

Early evening we were treated to a "rafter" of wild turkeys in our back yard. Seems they like the chicken feed left out for the deer too, LOL. Then neighbor dog came out and barked and they all ran off.

Then a bit later, after it got dark I heard a yipping. DH had dozed off in the recliner. I turned the tv sound off to listen and heard it again and said what is that? DH woke up and thought it was probably young neighbors dog got loose (he comes to our house and whines). We went out on the back patio and were treated to a pack of coyotes howling, apparently right down on the river below us.

Oh and the other day, when dh was scooping poop down where those turkey are.....he's pretty sure he also scooped up some bear poop........

8 comments:

  1. Bear poop? Wow! You do in live in the wilderness but living in a huge metropol with 17 million people is more dangerous I bet. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA yes we have bear, mountain lion, deer, elk, coyote and wolf. Most stay out of sight but they are out there. Last year one if our dogs decided to roll on the bear poop. Ugh!

      Delete
  2. If you keep feeding animals, you will soon be eaten out of house and home! You do know that bears can open doors? And, if you lock it, they can rip screens off. Lock your cars so they cannot get inside. This sounds scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really not an issue around here. With the exception of the deer, the rest stay out of sight. They really don't want anything to do with being around humans. And the deer run off as soon as they see a human or a car stop to look at them. Our cars are inside the garage. Just part of living life in the mountains.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I really would love to coyotes howl - wouldn't want to meet them mind you - but to hear them. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't hear them too often (probably because we aren't always listening) but it is neat to hear. This time was the closest ever we could hear them.

      Delete
  4. I hope you have better results bidding out your home insurance than we did. In our experience there have been so many huge natural disasters that the companies have raised their prices on ALL their policies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that could very well be why ours also went up so much. I'm just going to wait until next July and start getting some bids so I can change in August, if I find something cheaper.

      Delete