Monday, November 8, 2021

A nice Sunday

A pretty relaxing day yesterday. Only 2 calls from mom about the time change and her clocks. Well, one about her clocks. The other was a question again about filling up her med dispenser (it holds 90 days). I finally figured out why she keeps asking about that. When she had her little weekly pill box I had written her a note with her meds list and on top wrote "fill on Sundays". So, she still has this note and thought it had something to do with this new dispenser. I will throw that note out next visit. I'm probably going to regret saying this, but she hasn't unplugged it anymore.

While my mom's place isn't "full assisted living", it is assisted in the sense that all their meals/cooking is provided, as well as housekeeping and they also provide bed linens and towels and the housekeeping does that laundry for those. And of course they also provide numerous activities all day for the residents. And the people that work there are great about encouraging to join in, as well as they have speakers out in the hallways and they can hear the announcements of activities to remind them. The first senior living place she lived was the same, but they did not encourage participation at all. All the apartments only have a "kitchenette", I guess it's called. Just some cabinets, a sink and a small refrigerator. No stove or cooktop. If you want a microwave, you provide your own to use. (there is also a common use room that has a full kitchen if someone wants to cook or bake something). So, there is no chance she could leave an oven or burner turned on, which is good. Her previous place had a full kitchen, which I doubt she ever used anything but the fridge. Since physically she is good, she has no need of assistance to help her get around or to do any activities in her apartment (or out).

At this point,  have the medication under control in that I know she is getting her meds taken every day now and on time. I basically have her laundry under control, in that I am just doing it now when I visit. She is still showering regularly, so no issue there yet. And I now have the back up landline telephone so I can reach her. When I first looked at this place, I mentioned to them I was concerned about her memory issues progressing and whether this place would work for her down the road. I was told they do have some who have trouble remembering things, but as long as they are making it down to meals on their own, they feel they are still do well to live there. I was also told many hire outside help when it comes to that time, and find it cheaper that way than full assisted living place. Plus, mom is still very involved with at least one, usually two, activities per day, as well as the meals in the dining room. I plan to try to keep her there as long as possible. If her memory starts getting where she starts wandering around at night or something like that, then she will need to be moved. It won't be a far move, haha. The assisted/memory place is just on the other side of the parking lot.

DH's computer has been acting slow. I saw there was a notification to update to Windows 11, so I did that. Took forever, so he went out into the garage to hang some hook things to put the folding lawn chairs up on the wall to hang. Once it was finally done, I took a little nap.

I really wanted to watch Yellowstone last night, but just couldn't stay up that late. I usually go to bed around 9 or 9:30, which for last night still felt like 10, with the time change and then to stay up another hour to watch it would put me at 11, like 2 hours past my normal bedtime. and on a work night! LOL. I have it set to record the season. Plus dh wants to watch it too. He was going to watch it last night without me (how rude!) but then an old friend he hasn't talked to in a couple of years called, so he spent the rest of the evening talking to him anyway. And somehow up in Canada, my half sister got to watch it on Prime and an hour early (even though she's in my time zone). I'm like hey! it's not on my Prime. Lucky!

I was hoping this morning would feel like sleeping in an hour, but no. The kitty started making a racket upstairs at 6am and then the dog, laying on the floor next to me barked. I was awake after than. I got up at 6:30. Still not awake, obviously, as the first cup of coffee I made I forgot to put in the new cup of grounds, so I had to dump that cup out and start over. I'm ready for the week now :)

                                          


4 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a relaxing day after all. Netflix and Prime Video have different programming in different countries. I guess only half of the stuff is common. My BFF lives in upstate NY and we watch something together at least 3-4 days a week. We watch the common programs we both get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds fun. My sis even offered to Facetime me to watch it from her tv LOL.

      Delete
  2. Pets and small children do not subscribe to Daylight Savings. Well maybe older dogs as pup let us sleep in a bit this morning. Your mom's set up seems nice. Sort of like a return to college dorm living, but with a full apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her apartment is really nice and roomy. A large kitchen/dining and living room all open together. Her bedroom is really large, too.

      Delete