Sunday, May 3, 2020

Satisfying Saturday

Yesterday was a busy and productive day. Lots of sunshine and warm weather until later evening, so that was good. I started the day out by putting a pork roast and veggies in the crockpot and turning it on low to cook all day. DH was out working on the shed/coop and needed my help off and on.  I did a little caulking and a little painting and a little staining to some boards he added in the coop part.

Once I had a bit of a break I went back inside to make a chocolate cake. From scratch! I get this little "magazine" from our electric co-op and there was a recipe in there for "chocolate mayonnaise cake" and since I had all the ingredients I thought I'd try it, so we'd have some dessert. As I was making it I realized there are no eggs in it. Just the mayo instead. Anyhow, it was very easy to make and once I had it frosted I was wondering how it tasted. The heck with waiting until after dinner for a slice! It was so good. It reminded me of a chocolate cake my grandma used to make.

I also spent yesterday trying to get 2 dogs to take their pills....twice a day....as soon as I'd sneak it in one way, they'd figure that out for the next time! (I started giving on Friday morning). Friday morning I tried green beans and that worked great. Friday night, nope, ate the green bean and spit out the pill (it's a large pill, too). Then I tried wrapping in some bread. Nope. Saturday morning I just split in half and tried putting in with their food. Worked on one dog, but not the other. Saturday evening the pill in the food didn't work, haha. What seems to be working now is wrapping it in a bit of sliced cheese.

Later afternoon I was outside helping DH. He was trying to use up some blue insulation foam boards he has leftover, so we were having to cut pieces to size he needed. We didn't even hear that someone had pulled in our driveway (we were in back of the house and our neighbor dogs didn't even bark, like they usually do when anyone pulls onto our street). It was the young man (one of our builder's son's) who had done all our concrete work. He and a cousin were out in the area to do bear hunting. Since he got that bear last year when he was here working on our house, he wanted to try in our area again and wanted to stop in and say hi. He was probably our favorite of the builders 4 sons. So, we visited with them for a half hour or so.

Dinner was delicious. Later we had cake and ice cream for dessert. DH says "whoa, this cake is rich" but he liked it.

I went outside with the dogs (to make sure they didn't go over and eat deer poop!) and got buzzed by a hummingbird. Yay! they are back, so I went in and make some food for them. I had tried leaving food out a couple of times the past 2 weeks, but none around until yesterday.

13 comments:

  1. Recipe please! I discovered a hidden bag of chocolate chips, and now am wondering what I might make. Maye oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, but a nice cake sounds good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 c. sugar
      2 c. flour
      2 t. baking soda
      4 T cocoa, heaping
      1/8 t salt
      1 c mayonnaise
      1 c cold water
      1 t vanilla

      Sift (I just mixed in bowl) together dry ingredients, add water, vanilla and mayonnaise. Beat until smooth. Pour into 2 prepared 8" layer cake pans or one 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool and frost with your favorite frosting.
      My oven only took 28 minutes. I checked with a toothpick in center at that point and they were done.
      There's also a recipe for mayonnaise sugar cookies I want to try, too :)

      Delete
  2. When eggs were rationed it was common to make a large batch of mayonnaise. It would do for sandwiches, egg replacer in baking, salad dressings and quite a few other ways. Glad it tasted so good. Jean in Manitoba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I get chickens and if I ever end up with more eggs than I need, I should try making mayo :)

      Delete
  3. The story about getting your dogs to take pills just made me laugh as I remember ours doing the same. They're not daft are they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are too smart. At one point there was just a tiny piece of the pill left. How he kept eating everything but it, I don't know, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Cheese or hotdogs are the go-to for pills around here. I like to use kraft singles cuz it sorta sticks to the pill.Works every time. Thanks for the cake recipe too. I am going to go make it right now. It’s cold today, so chocolate cake in the oven sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot dogs have always worked well with my dogs too but I don't have any and am trying to avoid having to make a trip to town for them. I'm glad the cheese slices are working and you're right, the cheese sticks well to the pills.

      Delete
    2. And let me know how you like the cake!

      Delete
  5. That cake sounds wonderful! I don't have any mayo though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything that calls for eggs can use mayo as a sub. I just may try that cake. I have heard of people just ramming the pill down the dog's throat. Do you ever do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if they were small dogs I might try forcing a pill down but these guys are big. Wrapping in a bit of cheese slice is working great.

      Delete