Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Just plugging along

DH didn't work too hard yesterday, but he did get some work done on the shed/coop. After work I helped with some painting/sealing stuff. We did take a long lunch break and ran into the city as he needed more supplies from Lowes and for some reason didn't want to go by himself. At Lowe's on a Tuesday at 12:30...the place was packed. Barely even a parking space. Crazy.  On the way back we stopped at a job site where the guy who is supposed to do the gutters on the shed was working on a house. DH's old gutter guy had said the color was "Tudor Brown". This new guy wasn't familiar with that color, so DH brought him a scrap piece. The color is "Musket Brown". He's supposed to come next Tuesday to do the gutters on it. He's gradually using up some of the extra boards and such we have leftover, but boy, there is still a lot of lumber left over. We are still waiting on the mason. We are still waiting on the sprinkler system guy and the fence guy.

My stimulus payment for DH and I was in my bank account this morning. Nice. So, I promptly paid $475 to Lowe's to pay off my freezer.

The shed/coop will have two outdoor porch lights on it. One in front, next to the shed door and one on the end, next to the coop door. We had wanted to get the same porch lights as we put on the house and shop. But, of course when I went to order I couldn't find that color anymore. I had gotten them through Amazon like over a year and a half ago) and that color wasn't listed anymore. There was a different color name (that I don't recall seeing before when I ordered all of them) and I was wondering if maybe the name got changed for the color, as the picture looked like same color. I checked the mfg. website and didn't see it listed either. Well, shoot. We did have one light leftover, it had come missing the hardware for installing (so at the time I think I had just ordered another light). So, a few weeks ago I went on Amazon and asked if this color had been discontinued? I also emailed the mfg. to ask same and to ask if possible to just get the hardware/screws sent to me that were missing. No answer on my Amazon question and no reply to my email.  This morning I get on Amazon again and now that original "Rust" color is showing. So, since I got no reply on the missing hardware, do I need to order 1 or 2? I go downstairs to tell DH that hey, now they have that "Rust" color in the porch lights again, but no reply on the replacing the hardware for the one we have...do you want me to order 2 or can you make the one we have work with your own screws? (he had kind of hinted before maybe he could figure out something himself). Oh boy, bad timing I guess. He was not in a mood to answer a question, apparently.

So, I looked up the mfg on the web again and called them. Got transferred to their parts dept. The guy wasn't very communicative. Said something about "well, I'll have to send you a release". Um..ok...He got my email and sent it right away. Basically some kind of hold harmless release which I have no idea what it has to do with possibly getting them to just send out some hardware screws, LOL. So, I filled it out and emailed it back with the model # of the light fixture and asked for screws and gave my mailing address. No reply back, so maybe some day they will show up? or not. LOL. I guess for now, I'll just order one of the lights from Amazon and hope we get the hardware for the other one soon.

One of the mfg's we rep at my job is located NY. While they have office staff working from home they have not been able to have any staff at their little factory, making products or shipping product. They sent out an email today that they will most likely be filing Ch. 11 bankruptcy, but still trying to stay afloat and hope they can get back in business soon. So sad. They've been in business for over 60 years. This is not what should be happening to our small business's and economy.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the guy going bankrupt. That means they want to pay all the debts, not wipe the debts out. Missing parts annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it sounds like they want to try to stay in business, so I hope things can turn around for this company, that is a small family business. The daughter took over from her father, who founded it over 60 years ago.

      Delete