Wednesday, November 20, 2019

And still on mom stuff

This week seems to be plugging along. My mom called later in the afternoon yesterday to tell me she had just gotten back (BF's daughter had driven) from being at BF's new place and getting him settled in. She said he's in an adult care home type setting (like my grandma was in) and has his own bedroom. She also said it's not too far from her place. So, (eek) it sounds like she plans to go visit him occasionally....but she did mention as it's getting winter now (even though they only get rain, LOL) she won't go over there very often.

She said it was hard seeing him have to stay there, so I'm sure she'll be a bit down/sad for a bit. I told her he'll get much better/needed care there. Then she made a comment about she knew BF's DD wouldn't go for it, and she only has a twin bed in her apartment, so she couldn't anyway, but maybe she could've just had him come stay at her apartment instead of going to this nursing home. I said NO! (gently, LOL). That would be just way too much for her to have to do. She can't do it and needs to take care of herself. She said oh, I know you are right.

My uncle called  yesterday afternoon. He said he just had a phone conversation with SB (I'm assuming SB called him. He said it was a "friendly" call but I guess SB was just surprised about this whole DPOA change (he's known about it for over a week now). Uncle said he told him it doesn't have anything to do with trust issue, but it's a FAMILY issue. That I am her daughter and she is my mom, and I should be the one taking care of it for her. Apparently SB had him on speaker phone because then (I'm assuming it was her) his wife in the background said "so, you realize she now has full control over her money?". Uncle said his reply to that was "and that's how it should be". Good for him. I'm glad they got to hear another family member's opinion. And quite honestly, I don't really even think of any of them as true family. They are not my mom's family. Not in the sense that we have that bond with each other (me, mom, uncle, dd) - shared family memories, etc. As I mentioned SB was 21 and away at college/on his own when my mom and his dad got married. I'll bet over the last 40 years, she saw him a half dozen times a year and since my dad died 10 years ago, she probably sees him (for like lunch or a quick visit for couple hours) 2-3 times a year, at most. SB and his wife never had kids, so there were no grandkids for my mom and stepdad to visit/see them more often, etc. And I'm sure the only reason SB saw my mom a few times a year, since my dad died, was because, until he retired, he was working for a company near where she lived, and he commuted a long distance from where he lived. If he had't been working nearby her, I doubt she would have seen him even that often. As my uncle said, he himself doesn't even know SB! He's probably only met him a few times over all these years....(said he wouldn't know him if he knocked on his door.)  as usually my mom's side of the family (my uncle and grandparents) weren't at family gatherings with my step siblings.

I worked up a spreadsheet yesterday trying to get a better feel for how long my mom's current money should last. Of course, I had to estimate unknowns, but I was conservative and used historical averages for inflation and social security yearly increases. I put her earnings on her investment IRA at 4%/yr. I estimated her income tax on her IRA draws, based on what she has been paying (I do her tax returns). I then used worse case scenario, that she would, starting now, need full time nursing care.  Her money should last 19 years.  I then plugged in a little bit (hopefully) more realistic numbers. Like she gets to spend this next year in her current living situation.  Then 2 years of assisted living, then full time nursing care after that. Well, obviously that extends her money even several more years.

And let's be realistic, if she is not well enough that she needs full time nursing care starting now, it's highly unlikely she's even going to live 19-20 years more. (that would put her at 97).

I don't know how SB (per his email to me a couple weeks ago) thinks she only has enough to live comfortably for another 10-12 years. To run out of money in that amount of time, she would have to start spending $110,000 (plus inflation) a year. Granted, I know there are obviously high priced places elderly (who can afford it) can live that probably cost that much. But, there are also perfectly  fine care places that cost $2,000-$3000 a month less than those highest cost places. My grandma was in a private pay adult care home, with full nursing care for her, and it was about $4500/mo. My initial estimate of starting with that right now, I used $7000/mo cost.

Bottom line, someone almost 79 years old, and with nearly 1 million dollars, should certainly be able to live comfortably the rest of her life!.......as long her her apparently unworthy daughter doesn't swindle it all from her!

14 comments:

  1. Aw, your mom is so caring - but I am glad she realizes she cannot help BF, and he is much better cared for in his new place. She definitely will be sad/down, and you and DD will be there for her. Some occasional visits will be wonderful.

    As for SB, wow! All this happened at the right time, because either they wanted the $$, or they were going to try and help her and themselves at the same time, smh. It's like if my step siblings took care of my mom's $$$ it would make noo sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's what my DD keeps saying too. She doesn't trust him. I get that. She hardly knows him. Obviously I've "known" him for over 40 years, and while there's never been anything raise a flag not to trust him, who knows. But, him taking care of her money and health decisions makes noo sense, I agree!

      Delete
    2. I think if his approach had been trustworthy, no one would have any issues, and then you'd have no worry with him having the DPOA. But the red flags stood out from the beginning, and the minute he changed passwords, is when he should have been in touch with you - and he was not. Things are just better this way for all involved.

      Delete
    3. agree. He should have let me know in the first place. to me, that's a huge responsibility to ask of him and for him to take and he should have made sure everyone was on the same page about it. DD and I are just guessing that she was talked into it as "he'll be able to help you sell your house someday, since DD (ie. me) doesn't live nearby".

      Delete
  2. I obviously did not realize he was an adult when your parents married. I am five years younger than your mother and I cannot see me not living independently at her age. She will find someone else for companionship, but I appreciate her tie to bf. I hope you get the POA with you on it soon. I feel quite sure SB and wife are up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My step dad was 10 years older than my mom and his kids were 23, 21 (SB), 16, and 13 when they got married (I was 11). I would have thought my mom be able to live independent and do all her stuff for several more years, but unfortunately, the memory issue is taking over. DD took her to get new POA notarized last Friday, so that is all taken care of. We all feel better now! But, I'm trusting SB less and less with all this. I've appreciated that she's had BF these past years, but now realize how involved he was in instigating this set up with SB.

      Delete
  3. And why on earth shouldn't you, as your mom's daughter, have full control over her money? Who else will be better qualified to take care of her? I'm glad your uncle spoke on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. It helps to have someone on your side!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine having anyone other than my sister and me taking care of Mom's well being and her assets. I am glad you got things in order so you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! My uncle said he can tell that my mom is so much happier knowing I am handling all this now. (he calls her every couple of days, usually).

      Delete
  5. I don't know the laws in your mother's state, but have you had the DPOA recorded in the county clerk's office? In my state a recorded document holds more weight than an unrecorded one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check into that before we did it, to make sure I did it properly. It's not required in her state. It's not even required to be notarized, but was recommended since banks, etc, would like to see it notarized.

      Delete
  6. With you hearing your sister in law talking about "money" and your access to it I get a feel this is at some level a part of this. You stated you borrowed a larger amount of money for your house build ( which I would think not any concern or problem) and state you're paying it back this spring and although you owe no proof to SB I think he'd let things lie better then. Are you still going there in a couple of weeks? Maybe you could get together with SB and just lay this out on the table to put things to rest. I think yes this has come from the BF and from some strange reason he was concerned about anyone taking advantage of your mom. (Not that there was any truth to that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that is probably the root of it. But in all reality they don't really know me and I really don't know them. I mean how close can you be or how much can you really know someone you've seen on a very occasional basis all these years? I was trying to even remember the last time I saw him! I'm guessing it's been like 7 years now. Sure, we all got along fine, but not close in any way. I'm sure he doesn't know what type of person I am. Doesn't know I literally have checks in my desk that if I were the type of person they are hinting at, I guess I could just write myself a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars and skip the country with my employer's money, LOL. I know who and what I am. My mom knows who and what I am, and at the end of the day that is all that matters to me. I am visiting her mid December for a quick weekend visit. I know my uncle wants to come up for lunch and see us that weekend, too. SB is free to come visit, too, if he wants.

      Delete