Wednesday, October 19, 2022

A full day

What a morning it was yesterday. I noticed Monday from checking on mom with the camera that she was blowing her nose quite a bit and coughing some. (She was fine Sunday afternoon) Then yesterday morning the camera notification showed the caregiver (the newer lady) stop in and remind mom about breakfast. Mom's bedroom door was mostly shut, so after that, other than I could tell her bedroom light was on, I couldn't see and I was getting up and ready for my day. Well, about 8:10 another notification popped up on my phone and it was the caregiver coming back to check on my mom again (because she didn't show up in the dining room). Well....mom was sitting on the floor in her bedroom! It appears she just slid down along the wall right inside her door, next to her nightstand. K (the caregiver) talked to her and she was fine, not hurt, but she couldn't get her up (mom weighs about 180). I then called mom's landline and K answered and said she's ok, just can't get back up, so she's going to call 911 for "lift service" for her, which she did after we got off the phone. They got there really quick and got her back up sitting on the edge of her bed and left. K then helped her get dressed and she was able to walk out to her recliner to sit. K then arranged for the kitchen to deliver mom's meals the next couple of days. She did eat breakfast (at her table) and then went back to her recliner and slept some. Mom was not having any confusion, nor was she upset or agitated by any of it.

Before I hung up with K, I said I know this isn't the time, but when you have time please call me back about billing for my mom. She's been having care for 4 months now and no billing! I guess she is taking over for the other lady I originally hired. Said something about the original caregiver's computer crashed and she's hearing from some others they haven't been billed either. She said she is working on this. But, how strange that the original caregiver would not at least notify her clients that she was having someone else take over her caregiving business?! But, I REALLY like this new gal. I was watching/listening on the camera feed when she called to get lift service and she had to give her name and ph#. I looked her up to see if she is on Facebook and found her and also she has as a separate Facebook page for her new caregiving business (and she's advertising to hire help). She does vlogs about caring for elderly and specifically a lot to do with dementia. I think she is going to be so good. I'm looking forward to talking with her more and I have a feeling I'll probably be adding on some extra help with her.

So then mom went down for lunch (of course forgot she wasn't supposed to go down) and when it was over one of the staff had walked her back to her apartment. Mom said she was fine. The lady told her, no you are sick. Then mom promptly fell asleep in her recliner and stayed that way until I got there at 3:45, after dh's appointment. I woke her up and took her temperature, which was normal, thankfully. She seemed fine, other than a bit stuffy in the nose and a bit weak, still. I refilled her water glass and set it next to her. I didn't want to stay too long (dh was pretty uncomfortable after having the biopsy) and I didn't want to catch a cold. I reminded her she needs to stay in her apartment for a couple days and they will bring meals. She tried to say "it's just a cold, I feel ok" but I said they don't want you spreading it to the other people, so then she seemed to understand. Thankfully from her having the cold and the mornings ordeal (which she had no memory of) she was having no confusion. She fell right back asleep in her recliner after I left and slept again until the caregiver stopped in at 5 to check on her and told her she'd be back after 6 for her meds. Mom went right back to sleep until she came back. Her dinner didn't get brought up until about 6:15. I heard the caregiver call down to check on the meal for her and another apartment and they were running late. She did eat some at her table and then went back to her recliner and there she slept......all evening....all night....until 6:10 this morning when she got up and went to her bed. She's up and about now and her breakfast just got delivered. She seems to be walking much more her normal speed.

DH's doctor hadn't even looked at his PSA result, so dh asked about it. He said it's normal to fluctuate some, but that is a pretty significant decrease, so keep taking the supplement. But on the flip side, he said his prostate has enlarged more since last visit. It will be interesting to see the biopsy results compared to last time. Hopefully nothing has changed. DH said this time it was much more uncomfortable that the first time, not sure why. The results usually take 5-7 days to get back.

Before we left I had reminded dh that he still had 2 parts ordered from the place we got the plow attachment from and the guy had said they should be in mid October. One part we already paid for, the other still needed to be paid. So, dh called them after we left the dr office and after being put on hold a couple of times they finally determined that yes, they do have them in, so we stopped in there to pick those up. Dh needed to use a bathroom by then anyway. 

The caregiver had left her ph# on a sticky note for me, so when we got home I texted her that I got the note w/her # and that I checked in on my mom and no fever. I asked her to call me whenever is most convenient for her schedule, no rush, and I know she rec'd the text because she tagged it with a pink heart :). I just want to make sure we are on the same page with mom's care, since she's taking over, clarify the cost, see if we can figure out what we owe them since June 20th. If nothing else, at least just take what she knows to bill for a current month and use that amount for the unpaid months. According to her Facebook page she bought out the caregiving company from the other lady, so I'm guessing she also bought any receivables the company is owed. Obviously the original lady isn't concerned with getting paid for it, so I guess it will go to this new owner. I also want to make sure showering is getting done now, whether mom wants the help or not.

In other news the "family from hell" is back visiting next door. I swear they seem to come every time dh needs a day of peace and quiet and rest, they are here, and they are loud and they are outside in front of our property/house. I told dh they must not have gotten the hint from their new neighbors at their vacation cabin, that they are loud, obnoxious and intrusive, LOL.



4 comments:

  1. Do you think her problems are from the flu shot even though that was a bit ago? At least, it seems to have cleared up. For all her worrying, she seems to have few worries after each little crisis passes. My grandmother was full of worry and fear.
    It is great the PSA is lower. I wonder what this all means. Hopefully, the biopsy brings good news.
    How can the neighbors and relatives/son be so clueless? I would have to mention these things to a child of mine who was that uncaring. Maybe they are afraid of alienating the child and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ended up not getting the flu shot. I found that out Saturday. I had emailed the director a copy of her insurance card and thought all was good. No one emailed me back saying they needed her Medicare card. But I was told on Friday that another company is coming in on the 26th to do Covid booster and flu shots, so she is getting them done then. Neighbors just seem to be the type that don't ever want to say no to anything their son wants to ask of them or do while here.

      Delete
  2. It's just rotten that you can't relax in your own home due to the thoughtlessness of others.
    Your current caregiver sounds very promising. The previous one was good too but her apparent lack of business focus could have become frustrating if you were having to chase her for bills! This one seems to be an excellent combination of business acumen and really appropriate behaviour with your mother. Developing a text friendship with her as you have done is exactly what I'd do too; she knows she can notify you immediately of anything you need to know, whatever the time of day or night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new post today is about her. She has a business degree and then her masters in healthcare, so she seems smart and like she said, also knows how to run the backend of this business.

      Delete