Saturday, December 25, 2021

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas all. I'm sitting here with my cup of coffee (in my new mug with a cute cat and saying on it, LOL) before everyone else wakes up.

Yesterday was very nice but sure challenging the first half of the day. 7 calls from mom (a new record). We got there at 1:30 (just like I told her 50 times). The roads were a bit snowy (or so dh thought) but hardly, but DSIL drove me and dd. We all 3 went up to her apartment. And started the search for the stolen, I mean hidden/moved treasures. First up dd found the clock/calendar laying on top of her microwave - with some odd old cord plugged into it. The search for the missing wallet cards was way more challenging. We looked everywhere. Finally dd was looking through the stuff in her suitcase and found a book with some misc slips of paper, a book of stamps and her health insurance card between the pages. She said Oh, I think we're getting close! but nope. Then as we are still searching dd and mom were in her bedroom, I was in the kitchen/living room and mom somehow fell. DD's not quite sure what she did but apparently went to turn around and her foot tripped on the carpet. DD was right next to her and caught most of the fall, but mom said her left arm hurt. It's better now so we think maybe just where dd tried to grab her as she was falling. But, of course at the time the whole thing was super upsetting. We had looked everywhere and while she was sitting in her chair drinking some water and resting, we kept looking. DD had already looked through her purse and her wallet. But I picked up her wallet and started looking in the various "pockets" where the folds are. BINGO! all the cards were put in one of those folds! Now I just don't know what the heck to do with them - leave them for her to keep doing this or take them for safekeeping and have her keep thinking someone stole them because she won't remember I have them. I'll be thinking on this to figure out.

The rest of the day and evening at our house went fine and the bedtime/sleeping was normal, so one night down. I did go upstairs when she was getting ready for bed. Pulled the blinds down, chatted with her some to help keep her calm. I also told the guys to keep their talking voices down low so as not to wake her up, which I think probably helped a lot. I stayed up another hour just to make sure she was still sleeping and never saw her bedroom light come on under her door.

We opened gifts last night, as usual. We always hand out all the gifts and then take turns opening one by one, but mom couldn't remember we were doing that so she just kept opening hers :) 

Well, I hear the house stirring. Time to go.

9 comments:

  1. Put a big sign on someplace she might see it--bathroom mirror or above and in front of her chair, stating you have all her cards. Maybe she will see it.
    I am glad one night is down and okay.
    I keep telling people not to try to catch me if I fall! They will hurt me. Okay, get between my head and hard things. No, not falling. I can trip on carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should keep her cards. When she thinks someone has taken them, she should be relieved to find out that you have them.
    Merry Christmas to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you maybe make copies of the cards and put those in her wallet? You can keep the originals, to make sure they don't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so hard but I'm glad you found everything. Merry Christmas, and I hope 2022 is kinder to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well meaning people tell you to leave a note but people with dementia often don't notice the note or don't get the connection to what they're worried about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very correct. I found at least 6 notes she wrote herself this past week about what time I was coming. She doesn't see notes to refer to later.

      Delete
  6. We finally took all of Mom's cards, including her Medicare and insurance cards. It was just easier that way. We had a petty cash box for her daytime sitter to use for any necessities and if they needed anything for more than 50 bucks I met them and gave the sitter her card to use, then got it back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe a flat statement that you are keeping them safe for her will eventually work. At least, there will be no need for you or her to worry or search. Take every card because she will think something is stolen. no card, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas! Wishing you a wonderful and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete