Monday, December 13, 2021

Medical update

Dh's biopsy result is in and his doctor called to let him know it is prostate cancer. It's a low grade "6" (3/3 Gleason score, whatever that is) and a small spot, so I guess that's the good news of it, if there is any. He told dh it's not anything immediately urgent, but does want him to come in to discuss options/treatment. Of course their next available appointment isn't until mid January, which of course does nothing to quell dh's fears and doomsday thoughts about it all. They have put him on the wait list if there is a cancellation to get him in earlier, and she said they have cancelled appointments all the time, so it's likely he'll be able to be seen earlier.

From what I've been reading up on it, there are 3 common treatments. For low grade cancer/small tumors, because prostate cancer typically grows very slowly, there is a wait and see and keep being watched, approach. There is also removal of the prostate, radiation and chemo. My boss told me 2 of her close friends have it. One has been on the wait and watch plan, for quite a few years now, with no change. The other had a low dose chemo and is cured and fine now. Overall, it sounds like a very treatable, curable cancer, for the most part and especially where his is minimal right now. I guess we'll find out more at the appointment and see what the doctor recommends.

Of course, I was really hoping he'd be in the 75% chance that it wasn't cancer. He's hard enough to keep in good spirits, without adding this onto his plate. But, this does appear to be one of the most treatable cancers. Still, having to go through whatever treatment won't be enjoyable for him. 

It sucks getting old!

14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry it is cancer! On the positive side, I knew a man who had prostate cancer for so long he finally passed away from something else at age 90. I have a feeling his grumpiness is going to be tough on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly what my side job boss said. It's usually so slow you die of something else!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. I know it is a hard diagnosis to hear. My brother is dealing with it, radiation monthly, but he just 18 months ago finished treatment and is in remission for an early stage stomache cancer before getting the prostrate cancer diagnosis about a year ago. My brother stays in good spirits and we all hope for the best. Keep him busy enjoying your beautiful home, land, and his workshop. No reason he can't have decades of good life. You're both young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your brother is dealing with all that - that is a lot! I'm sure dh will be fine. I know he just feels like the health issues just keep piling on him.

      Delete
  4. my husband had it at age 73. - five weeks of radiation and his numbers are back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! and very encouraging to hear.

      Delete
  5. So sorry for the dignosis but, it sounds like it is not one of the scary types. It is most important for the patients stay calm and positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you met my dh? Just kidding. He's a hard one, on most days, to stay calm and positive about things. I'm sure he'll be fine

      Delete
  6. Sorry to read this. It's obviously early diagnosis & treatable. That's all good. But no one wants to be told they have cancer of any type.
    I hope you & your husband can remain positive. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Just one more thing to get through, but we will, as usual.

      Delete
    2. I’m sorry he had that diagnosis, it is one of the better types but no one wants any. I hope this doesn’t seem offensive at all because I truly don’t mean it to be but do you think your DH would be able to talk to even his GP about maybe getting on something for his moods/ would you call it irritability (I don’t mean for you to answer this here but mull it over). With his chronic health issues plus this maybe something like an antidepressant would help. Years ago my husband went on an antidepressant and it was night and day difference. I don’t know that he considered himself depressed but in talking to his Dr. He could identify so much anxiety and was ridgid, OCD, edgy and to put it bluntly pretty crabby. His quality of life was much improved. (He died at 41 from cancer).

      Delete
    3. he probably would benefit from that, but I doubt he would ever take it. It was recommended to him once years ago and he said no. I'm sorry about your dh.

      Delete
  7. Thanks. He had kidney cancer so not related at all to DH issue but he had such improvement for years before his cancer being on an antidepressant. Before he would worry and become upset at such little things. His outlook had been like something bad was always going to happen, can we say a glass half empty type and the Dr. really identified it as being anxiety and slightly OCD based. Of course later something bad did happen but what a happier, more content person he had been, I was so glad for that because how miserable that would have felt.

    ReplyDelete