Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Mumbling through Tuesday

My mom's senior living place had a bit of a scare last week with Covid. They gave all the residents a letter and emailed family that either a resident or associate was being tested. In the meantime, until it was verified, all activities were cancelled again, and they were supposed to basically stay in their apartments. The test came back negative and they are back to "normal". I called mom yesterday morning and she was downstairs waiting for the card game to start. Whew! I was panicking that I wasn't going to be able to do her virtual dr visit next week or take her to get her new bank account open.

A local friend has a high school boy playing football. They won't let the parents in the high school stadiums to watch the games. Most of their away games are quite a ways away, being everything is so spread out here. So, the parents sit in bars, waiting for the game to be over. Friend says it's so stupid.  They won't even let one parent per player in the stands, that will hold like 2000 people - outside. Where they could easily spread out, but the state/governor is ok with them all sitting inside in a bar together. 

The chair I ordered weeks ago, for the loft sitting area, was supposed to arrive today, but now I see it's delayed until Friday. What an ordeal just to get this chair! I'd better like it, haha.

Another day of smokey, hazy air. It's keeping dh from doing his yard work/maintenance. He did go out for a while yesterday and put down the fertilizer he needed to get down and has been putting off for a few days now.

I use Amazon subscribe and save for a handful of items. It seems each month now at least one of my items is out of stock. This month it's 2 of the dog treats. So far, it has not affected the dog food, but I'm glad I have an extra two bags of it on hand. I did find a 3 pack of the pizza sauce I like to use through Walmart, so I ordered that last week along with grape jam (not jelly) that was out of stock when I tried to order it with my grocery pick up order.

But, when I need something we are out of and decide to order it....either through Walmart or Target, why do I have such a hard time coming up with enough stuff to add to my cart to have the free shipping. I mean $25, even $35 isn't that much! I sit and try to think of things to add all day long. Or I think of things and they are out of stock. I annoy myself! Well, I just lucked out. The Milk Bones 7lb box that Amazon is out of is in stock with Target and it's not part of the "only ships with $25 order" that most things seem to be attached to, so with using my red card, it's free shipping and no min. order amount.

Today is payday. Bills not set up on auto pay are paid. Mostly, I have everything on auto pay, charging to my 2% cash back credit card and then on pay day I make a payment to the credit card for everything scheduled to go on the card during this pay cycle. Then on the 20th of each month I get my cash back and transfer it to my paypal balance, which I then transfer to my checking. I'm waiting for the propane company to charge my card and then I will pay it right off from checking. I don't know what is taking them so long. I mailed in the winter prepay contract for $895. It was due by 9/4 and I mailed it to the propane office in town on 9/2. Last week I was checking my credit card to pay it off and see it hadn't been charged yet. I emailed the office girl to make sure she got my contract and she said she did and was probably going to get all the charges put through by the end of last week, but she still hasn't done it.

I just remembered to take some steaks out of the freezer, so dinner has been figured out for tonight.

Well, crap. I had messaged mom's dr office online last week to refill her 3 other prescriptions, because for some reason I cannot click on "refill" on her chart list of meds. Last month they quickly refilled the 1st one she was low on, after I messaged. I saw a message back, but stupid me assumed it was just a notification that they processed my request and they sent the refills to her mail order pharmacy. I get online this morning and see the note from the nurse. "just request a refill through the pharmacy". I had to reply back - I can't do that. This is new pharmacy/insurance for her, so they do not have her prescriptions on file - you need to send them to the mail order pharmacy so they can fill." UGH. So, by my not paying attention I've delayed them getting to mom a week. From what I counted when she was here last week, I  think she had enough for about 20 days more, so hopefully they will get to her in time still.

Yesterday afternoon/eve was about 6 calls from my mom about her computer. Windows 10 was doing an update. And it turned out to be a long one. She never leaves her computer turned on and when she is on it, she's never on it long enough to let it do an update, so most likely there were a bunch to do. She kept calling saying it was x% done, she's not sure what to do. I kept telling her to just let it run through until it's done. Then she'd call saying it's x% done and says it might restart her system several times and this is normal. I again had to keep saying, it's ok, just let it finish. She was worried someone had taken over her computer. Finally it seemed to be done but she couldn't figure out how to close out. I got on with team viewer and it seemed to be done updating as far as I could tell. I logged out and she then couldn't remember how to shut down her computer. ugh. So I got back on with team viewer and just shut it down while I was on. LOL. I know today she'll most likely remember how to use her computer, but when she gets flustered and overwhelmed with it, she forgets it all. She was to the point saying she doesn't think she probably even needs a computer anymore (she's right!). She said she really only uses to check her banking and I said we can always change her back to a monthly statement in the mail. She rarely gets an email that is anything important. She doesn't look at Facebook at all anymore.

And as I finish typing this I just get a text from the propane company that my winter prepay has been changed to my card now. Tomorrow I can log in to the credit card and pay it off and get that off my reminder/to do list.

3 comments:

  1. Our H.S. district is allowing fall sports they claim can be done safely, but not allowing spectators. Also, no trap shooting this fall. I'm not sure if that's because they (incorrectly) think that it can't be done (Team members are seated, then standing over 6 feet apart) or because the sportsman club where they shoot are still not open to the general public. My son shot for the highschool team when he was there, and I really enjoyed the meets, much to my surprise. Aside from the fact that I really enjoyed watching the meets, there was such camaraderie among the members of our team, and, in fact, all the other teams in the district.
    You could tell the advisors (all FFA) from all the schools were all really tight with each other. My sophomore really hoped to participate this year, but, ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are days when my computer seems to update all the time. I just go with it, but it is frustrating and annoying. The schools and bar rules are arbitrary and capricious and thankfully I never have to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I don't have kids in school to deal with, nor am I interested in going out. First my mom said she's never seen these updates before (I said that's because you never leave your computer on long enough, LOL) then she said it's updated before but never took that long.

      Delete