Friday, March 6, 2020

I'm ready for this week to be over

This morning's continued computer problems fun is my scanner won't scan. I have one of these nifty little "ScanSnap" devices. The past several times I have used it, it has been having a hard time scanning the paper through. I set the paper in the feed and push the button and nothing happens until I've taken the paper in and out and tried several times and then suddenly it will work.

Now it's plugged into my new computer and I go to use it this morning and same thing, only still nothing after several tries. Wouldn't you know it - when I need to scan something with my signature and get it emailed off.

My mom is really having a hard time remembering and I'm sure it's just because she's got way too much on her mind with this move and then of course it didn't help with me trying to get tax forms and then trying to get her to print out something. And of course I'm also wondering if she is remembering to take all her meds every day. I've been having to remind her over and over that things she keeps bringing up have already been taken care of or I have figured out what to do when the time comes. Her health insurance change for example. She asks me about that every few days. Then she knew she didn't have enough left in her checking to send this new rent and move in fee and that she will have to transfer from savings and asks me if she can do that over the phone. I told her I can just do it online with her bank account for her.


And she keeps worrying about a few extra dishes she has realized she doesn't use now that she is living in this type of place and doesn't cook or eat many meals at her apartment. She wants to give them away so she doesn't have to move them. I keep telling her just set them aside and DD will take them to Goodwill for her or when I come a couple days before her move, I will run them over to Goodwill. I'm sure she's just overloading her brain thinking (and forgetting) about all these things and not being able to remember whats what. Having DD see her on Sunday will be very helpful at this time. Especially to make sure her meds are being taken and in her pill box. I'm also hoping maybe she can do a quick look through some of her desk papers and just file away those that she doesn't need to keep wondering about. It must be awful to not be able to remember what's going on. The hard part is she will ask me a legitimate question (like when do I need to send a check over for the first months rent and move in fee) and I have to tell her I'm working the details out with the place and I'll let her know when she needs to send it. But, then the next time she talks to me she can't remember I told her that, so she asks again.

My uncle keeps calling DD. I think because she and her DH will be hauling her stuff over here. DD told him we're just going to hire some help to move the heavy items. Last night he tells her not to hire anyone, he'll be there that day to help load up. Ya...not counting on that at all. Like DD says we'll rely on him and then be stuck there trying to do it ourselves because he always has an excuse and changes his mind. Just like when I and DD last visited her for that weekend in December. He knew for a month we were going to see her and kept saying he was going to come up that Saturday and see her (he still has not even been to her new place) and have lunch with us. Then 2 days before it changed to "hey, do you just want to meet me for breakfast half way?" Ok, sure. Then as I'm literally driving to where we were to meet he calls and says his truck is acting funny - can we drive 30 miles farther and meet him (by then we were practically to his place!). I am not counting on him being there to help on moving day.  I want to say how about instead you just go visit her a couple of times before she moves?  He also keeps bringing up to me that he wants to make sure I have some way to make sure her money accounts don't get scammed. I said I am monitoring them all the time. Then he brings up to DD last night same thing but says that my mom keeps mentioning to him that she's worried her money will get scammed (he talks to her like every couple of days). She has never once brought that up to me as a concern. Weird. Her checking usually doesn't have more than $5k in it. Her savings with same bank has a bit more. The rest is in her investment accounts: her retirement portfilio and also a savings account with the proceeds from her house sale (which she will transfer to her checking/savings as needed). I can't even get the phone number contact changed to me on those accounts without jumping through hoops. I don't think anyone is getting to that money. That's about all I can do. Though I know it will be much easier to watch and know what she is buying/paying once she's close by and I'm seeing her regularly.

Well, while I was typing this I got my scanner working by loading the driver and updating it on my new computer and yay, it works now.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder if he is keeping her upset so that she gets confused. Is he just being nosey, inappropriately "helpful," or is he slipping, too? Technology can be so unpredictable! I hope it continues to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering those same things myself. I think he is bringing it up and also probably asking her lots of questions when they talk so then she gets overwhelmed. And he has repeated himself a few times with things he's already mentioned to me, so it's possible he's starting to forget things too. I really don't know what will happen to him when he needs help. He's not married, no kids and lives in a neighboring state to where my mom lives now. He's about a 9-10 hour drive from where I live.

      Delete
  2. Uncle sounds a little shady. Your mom doesn't need that. She's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can be a bit on the shady side at times. Mostly he's just never been very reliable.

      Delete
  3. If your scanner stops working you could always take a picture with your cell phone and them email it to your work email . I have had to do that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably what I would have had to do, as I needed to get the copy of the document my signature sent. Thankfully I got it working. I love that scanner, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Life transitions are difficult as you age. I hope the change gets easier your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping now that most of the decisions and paperwork is done, she can just now focus on moving day next month.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the book suggestion. I will check it out

    ReplyDelete