Sunday, March 13, 2022

Social security and retirement

I had most of this post finished the other day (had to do a bit of research) and was going to post it today, but then I had a short conversation with Mr. Neighbor yesterday and thought that goes well with this blog post too.

DH is a little over 4 years from being able to start taking social security at age 62. I've tried to do as much research and reading on this as I can as to when it's best to start taking. Waiting longer isn't always the smartest choice. Plus, there's this thing called the break even point. It's the age dh would have to reach before taking it earlier starts being less money than waiting. For him this break even age is 82.

I also just learned something else today, I wasn't quite clear on how it works. I know he can claim half of my monthly amount, if that is higher than what he would get claiming on his earning record (mine is higher). I knew he had to wait until I was retired to claim half of my benefit. I don't plan to retire to age 67 at the earliest (my full benefit age) and most likely will work past that. I thought it was an either or type of deal. What I just learned is that he can start claiming his benefit at age 62 and then when I retire he can switch to claiming the higher spousal benefit at that point (though it sounds like it will be reduced some for what he's already taken, but still more than he was getting). That makes things better, for sure. I was thinking he would have to stay collecting his smaller amount the whole time.

So, it's looking like between his break even age of 82 and later being able to get half of my monthly amount, it will be ok if we start taking his at 62. That extra amount each month for the 5-8 years before I retire will be extremely helpful, especially in paying down the mortgage balance.

If I retire at age 70, our combined SS (based on today dollars - ha!) would be $60k a year. Plus what I can draw down from my retirement savings each year. I think with a house almost paid for or paid for, we could live on $80k a year fairly comfortably. I'm working on the amortization spreadsheet I have for our mortgage to see what I need to do to get it paid off by age 70.

I read something interesting I hadn't really thought of the other day on the message board dh frequents (they talk about everything) and one guy commented he was glad he's saved and paid his house off these past several years, with what's coming in inflation. Another guy had a different take on it - and since I'm stuck with a mortgage payment, this observation made sense to me. He said he has a mortgage with a low interest rate and inflation isn't going to change his mortgage payment over the next 20+ years, so he's coming out ahead in that aspect. True. If (well it's not if, it's how much) inflation goes up we are paying for this house in pre-inflation dollars. Hopefully my salary will eventually go up some over the next 9 to 12 years of working. But in 9-12 years, with what everything is going to cost, this will seem like a small house payment, all things considered.

Plus, the social security estimated benefits are given in today's dollars, from what I read. So, us getting $60k a year total combined benefits is today's dollars. Social Security has a calculator to estimate what they think your monthly benefit will be in inflated dollars. According to their calculator if I retire at age 70 our inflated combined benefits would be $88,000 a year. Tomorrow's dollars, with a few years left to pay off our mortgage in yesterday's payment amount, won't seem so daunting.

Of course none of us know how long we're going to live, but I think in dh's case and health it's a good bet he's not going to go too many years past his break even age of 82. His mom lived to 85, his dad to 80. While he doesn't smoke or drink, he does have a health issue that I'm sure will shorten his life to some extent. His body will only be able to to take it for so long and the constant pain he experiences will make getting through other medical things even harder as he ages. I'm sure it's wearing his body down faster every year.

The other part I need to look into is how it works if you start drawing, but keep working. From what I am reading it's depending on how much you make and also if you've reached your full retirement age yet. I'm not quite sure I'm understanding that part yet, so more reading is in order. My FRA is 67.

I still have several years to figure this all out and decide which is the best plan, but good to have some kind of knowledge and plan with it only being 4 years out.

I went to get our mail yesterday and Mr. Neighbor had just gotten his and on his way back to his house. We chatted a few minutes. I asked how Mrs was doing. She had knee surgery in January and was due to be out of work at least 6 weeks, but then she is supposed to retire in May. He said she will be going back to work in about two weeks and then retires a couple months after that. He said she's gotten a good idea of what retirement will be like, being off. I said "and she's liking it?!" (thinking he was going to say yes) and he said "Noooo! She hates it. She's bored. She's sitting downstairs right now watching a movie". I said oh, no, that's too bad.

On my walk back to my house I thought to myself, boy, that is kind of sad. I don't want to be 72 years old (she will be almost 72 1/2 when she retires), finally getting to retire and not enjoy it. I wouldn't want to be 72 years old and my whole happiness in life is my job! No thank you! I like my job, but my whole life doesn't revolve around it. There is way more to life and enjoying it each day than going to work, that's for sure. Especially when you don't have a lot of years left ahead of you. Not to mention she has to drive almost 100 miles round trip to work and she doesn't even make a bunch of money (bank teller). 


15 comments:

  1. Your number crunching sounds like much of what we do. Don't forget taxes when you look at retirement income, and any additional out of pocket medical you may need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I will have to take those into account. When I retire we'll also have my 401k to draw from.

      Delete
  2. If you work and draw Social Security before you reach FRA, there is an "earnings test" which temporarily reduces your Social Security benefit amount (but pays the money back later on). But once you reach your FRA, the earnings test goes away.

    One thing to consider is that above a pretty low income threshold, between 50 and 85% of Social Security benefits are taxable, depending on the amount of other income you have. If your husband collects benefits while you are still working, then you as a couple will definitely be paying income taxes on some of his social security.

    The strategy that makes sense for a lot of married couples is for the higher earner to wait until age 70 to collect Social Security. That maximizes the monthly benefit of the higher earner and from the perspective of the couple, maximizes the benefit of the surviving spouse when one of you dies. If you as the higher earner are the surviving spouse, you keep getting this amount and if your husband is the surviving spouse, his benefit will get bumped up to your amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good points, but also I think it's worthwhile to look at the break even age of taking benefits early compared to waiting. You'll earn the same amount up to that point, either way.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting this. One of my co-workers is retiring this year, and it is making me think of how behind I am in planning my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 years seems like a long way off for dh to tur 62 but it will be here before we know it. Hopefully I can make sure I'm gathering all the correct info to make a good decision for our situation.

      Delete
  4. What percent disability does your husband have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn’t able to get approved for disability and now he’s not eligible. We just have to wait until he can claim social security. We tried to get it years ago. Denied then appealed and they said he could work 2 hours per day so wasn’t approved

      Delete
    2. Two hours a day is not a livable wage/salary? When asked if I could work any, I said "maybe two hours a day." So, I got the disability. Your doctor determines that, so ss has nothing to do with that determination of how much a person is disabled.

      Delete
    3. It's all over 15 years ago and we've put it behind us. Dh has never even been able to get a diagnosis as to what is wrong with him, which also made this all more difficult. He's not eligible regardless, because he doesn't/didn't have the disability credits. He did not qualify for SSI, because I made too much.

      Delete
  5. We've been retired 12 years now, and my husband will start taking Social Security in May at age 70. He waited because we really did not need the money to sustain us (excellent pension plus deferred compensation $); secondly, he's in great health physically/mentally & longevity runs in his family, so he figured he'd take the gamble. And like you said, it's a gamble, since not one of us knows how many days we have remaining on this earth. As someone mentioned previously, hubby was the high earner, so should he predecease me (he's 10 years older than I am), it will maximize my benefit. Fortunately, we saved aggressively for our retirement (living on half of our earnings for 20+ years) & were not counting on Soc.Sec. to "fund" any of it. So Social Security is just frosting on the cake for us.

    We should all be encouraging the younger people today that they had better start saving for their own retirement now, as the only thing they have in their favor is time. I am forever grateful my mom told me to get into my company's 401K plan where they matched 50 cents on the dollar saved - back when I was 21 years old & not even thinking about retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very smart and good planning! We lost so much income and retirement savings with dh not being able to keep working.

      Delete
  6. I agree -- your husband is smart for planning on taking SS at 62. My DH, the Brick, has been retired now for 5 1/2 years, and took his at 65. We also have a pension that keeps us going -- and so far, have not had to touch our retirement savings at all.
    The one area I would disagree with you: in spite of the low interest rate, not having to make that mortgage payment is a huge blessing. You'll find this especially if you fall onto hard times -- unemployment, health problems, etc. We paid ours off with mother-in-law's inheritance, in spite of 'everyone' saying we should invest the money in the stock market. Six months later, the market tanked. We would have lost a big chunk of the mortgage money, had we shoveled it in there. I do NOT regret paying our mortgage off at all.
    Every year, take a look at your plans -- then adjust as needed. But I would think you could live just fine on $60,000/yr. We are doing fine at roughly half that amount.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, if I was able to pay it off, it would be, LOL. But, since I can't right now, I did think that was an interesting take on it, during a high inflation period. I, too, am hoping to be able to pay it off (and retire) down the road with an inheritance. thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that SS business sounds awfully complicated to me, but then I guess you're used to it aren't you. And maybe your neighbour lady would enjoy "retirement" more if she was more mobile. But I agree, I'd hate to get to retirement and then find out I didn't enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete