Friday, July 17, 2020

Perception of time

Now that my mom is settling in her new place, I'm trying to decide on what is a good amount of time to make visits to see her. Somewhere between 2-3 times a YEAR (when she lived in different state) and once a week! It's a 100 mile round trip to see her. Usually we were going into the city every 2-3 weeks. I'd kind of like to get back to that schedule. But then I feel guilty - like I should be seeing her every week. But honestly, with her memory I doubt she could even tell you how often/when I last visited her, so every other week is probably fine, as long as she is doing ok. I'm also partly trying to save a little wear and tear on my 10 year old car, as we'd like to try to keep it at least another year before it wears out. For the most part I really only have time to go see her on the weekends, but going every weekend takes up a good half of one day, at least. Plus, I know when winter/snow comes I for sure won't be driving in there that often (most likely Dh will end up driving me), so she will have to be used to seeing me a bit less by then. I also call her daily.

I've often wondered what her time perception is now, with the short term memory problem. Does time now seem to go by faster for her or does it go by slower? I was guessing maybe it would go by faster, because basically she's almost always in the present. She's not thinking about what she just did 15 minutes ago or an hour ago. Does not seeing me for a week seem the same to her now as not seeing me for 2 weeks?

I tried to look up online and see if there are any articles/studies related to this question. Not much I can find. Most all deal with AD patients not knowing what time of day it is, rather than how they perceive how time is passing. I found only one article, so far, but while they studied adults with dementia and gave them tasks (like reading numbers) to do for varying lengths of time and then asked them to say how long they thought the task took, all they really said in the article is that their answers differed from the actual time, the article didn't explain how much or which direction their answers differed to actual time. Though one sentence said "the duration judgement decreased as the task complexity increased". Another sentence said "duration of time seem shorter when fewer events are recalled". So, I'm guessing that since she can't really recall as many events (short term wise) that have happened recently (say during the day) then time seems to be going by quickly for her (compared to a normal brain perception of time). Maybe when she's sitting in her apartment in the evening, it probably has seemed like the day went by fast - because she doesn't really have much memory of all what went on during the day.

Other interesting items I got from the article: the person is looking for information in their episodic memory, the brain’s storage area for episodes and events that the person was actively involved in.  The episodic memory is no longer being filled.

The semantic memory, too, works fairly well for a long time. This is a sort of knowledge memory and is used to remember the names of the days of the week, the capital of Sweden, and where the cutlery goes on the dining table.

In the meantime, she called me last night as she accidentally messed up her tv again. Apparently my uncle called her, she goes to mute it and pushes the input button instead. Last time this happened I finally figured out that she needs to push the input button twice to get it back to HDMI. Last night that did not want to work, so I said sorry, I guess you will have to call the front desk for help. She called me back about half hour later and said she kept pushing buttons and finally it came back on. She did go downstairs yesterday afternoon and played bingo again, too.

10 comments:

  1. As to perception of time passing, often when I am engrossed in a task, I cannot accurately judge the time, never could. I wonder if it is the same for her. I think every two weeks would be fine to visit her. Tommy hits the wrong button ALL the time and has to fiddle with the remote to get it straight, taking several attempts. When had a remote, I did the same. So, that does not seem to be due to dementia. If so, i am well into dementia...lol. I messed up the tv so many times, it was embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not so much the issue that she is accidentally pushing the wrong button, but that she doesn't have any memory now on how to fix it. It turns into a 10 minute phone conversation trying to explain to her over the phone to push the input button twice, LOL.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing that it may also depend on what type of dementia and the stage she is in. I'd probably combine visits for when you need to go to town. Even with that, you are seeing her a lot more than you did before. Oh, dementia and the challenges that come with it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. plus, like I keep reminding myself - it's not like she hardly had anyone visit her where she lived before. Meaning it's not like I moved her away from people who regularly visited her. Even dd (who was a good 90 minutes from her) didn't get there too often. My uncle (2 hours away had never visited her there). So, all in all, if I see her every 2 weeks, she's getting way more visit from family then she had before.

      Delete
  3. My grandmother would tell her son that my mother never visited her anymore even when Mama had been there the day before. That hurt my mother, but her brother knew my grandmother could not help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has done that a few times, with people that call her every so often. She will say she hasn't heard from so and so in a really long time and I know they had just called her the week before. It's those that she doesn't have constant contact with where she doesn't seem to remember how long it's been. Like with me calling every day and my uncle calling her every other day, she knows that we do this, so that is good.

      Delete
  4. I would make it every two weeks. In addition to the visiting and contact and perhaps going out, every two weeks enables you to see her care. Which is important no matter how nice a facility it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that seems about a right amount of time to me. Gives me a weekend in between to have to myself for chores and/or relaxing. I think she will also get busier once they can get back to all the usual activities the place has.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everyone above - every two weeks sounds about right.
    When we visited my MIL every two weeks her diary would be full of family and friend names who had dropped in but her parting remark to us was always ‘Thank you so much for coming, we never see anyone’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's funny how the mind changes to let them think that.

      Delete