Sunday, July 12, 2020

Money and planning questions

My plan, Saturday, was to get to my mom's about 10:30, stay thru lunch and then pick up my grocery order at Walmart at 1pm and head home. But, I waited too long Friday to put my order in online and then the earliest pick up time available was 3pm. Crud! So, I'm just got to her place right at lunch time (she usually has her meal come around 12:30) and stayed until about 2:45. I asked her if she needed any laundry done. She had mentioned last week she was going to go do some in the laundry room, but I had a feeling she didn't. She also for some reason thought she had to go down to 2nd floor. So, we walked down the hall (not far at all) and nothing was being used at the time, we went back and gathered up a load of whites in her new basket. Got the load going and went back to her apartment. She said "well, that was easy, I'm glad you went with me to show me". So, I have a feeling she just wasn't sure what to do, so has been avoiding it. We'll see. If she's still dragging her heels on it, I'll get the lady hired. We went back about 45 minutes later and moved it to the dryer. I think the hardest part for her will be remembering she has laundry being washed and dried! When I left she probably still had 10 or so minutes left in drying. I called her about half hour after I left to make sure she got it out of the dryer and she did.

I had delayed filing her tax return to the 7/15 deadline, since I was dealing with moving and everything else the past couple of months. I took her return to show her and she owes some so needed to get some money transferred from savings to checking. Needed to do that anyway by the end of the month to bring her balance back up for rent. I knew her checking balance was at about $2500, but her register said like $4400. So, I finally figured out what happened. When she added in her social security deposit last week, she made a math error.

Does anyone use those identity/credit protection services? I think I might sign her up for one of those. When I got there, she said someone had called and usually she hangs up but for some reason she talked to them. Something about sending her a $99 check to cash. She said she kept telling the lady she couldn't do anything without talking to her daughter. As I was going thru her desk papers and notes there was this postcard type thing that had come in the mail. I can't even remember now what was on it, I just know it was spam. When I got home I looked at her cell call log. She made a call to a 1800 number about 11am and talked for 10 minutes. Immediately after an unknown (spam according to google) number called her and she talked for another 10 minutes. OMG! I have a feeling she called the number on that card she got in the mail. I asked her if she gave them any banking or credit card info. She says no, but how do you talk to someone for 20 minutes and not  give out any info?! She is so anal about shredding any little piece of paper that has her name on it, yet will talk to someone on the phone she doesn't know about her private info. Just boggles the mind. Now I'm worried she gave out info to scam her. So, I'm wondering if something like LifeLock might be good to have for her.

We did discuss her will a bit. That's next on my list to do. At a minimum need to change the executor from SB to me. I still am not sure how/why she made the changes she did back in 2018 - and then there is this typed sheet of paper in her investment account folder in her cabinet that lists the beneficiaries of her account (which is like 95% of her money/estate), which I don't know if that is what is current or not. There is one that is "official" on UBS paperwork, but it is different. I know last summer she asked for DD's social security number, something about changing her will, but her will was not changed, only the beneficiaries. I need to look at that with UBS ASAP.  I may be wrong, but my understanding is if she dies, her retirement beneficiary list is paid out based on that, not her will. Then whatever is left in her "estate" gets distributed per the will.

I'm also not really thrilled with how much she is allocating to her brother. 30%....it just seems strange to me that she would leave him that much (again this was something new she put in in 2018, prior to that he was not in her will). He is only 3 years younger than her. By the time she passes and then a year for a will to probate, geez - he probably will be in nursing home by then and not able to handle his money either. Just seems like a big mess in the making, if you ask me. And I guess in my limited experience of people and their wills, - they usually just leave it to their kids, split up. Not brothers, and grand kids, etc. I can see someone uber rich splitting up something that way, but not with this amount of money. I could see leaving him like $25k or something, but not potentially $300k (if she died tomorrow). He has no wife or kids, so who knows how his will is set up and who would potentially end up with all that money. Opinions, please.

She is so easily swayed, especially by my opinion, that I feel like I'm not letting her make a decision, if that makes sense. I know her BF was behind all these changes that got made 2 1/2 years ago, but of course now she doesn't remember when/why. She did get our her will to look at, and I showed her that SB is listed as executor. Then we went over the distribution and I also showed her the UBS "document" in her file, that doesn't match the will. Seems to me they should be the same (since the UBS $ is 95% of her estate). First thing she says (with zero prompting from me, I was not saying anything) is SB and his siblings should be taken off "I never hear from them anymore". They are each only listed at 2.5% so nothing major. But, then she said well, since they are J's kids (my adopted step dad) she should probably leave them something. I agreed and said she should just leave it as she has it. (let's also add that each of them is already way richer than she is, so not like they need the money).

Her UBS beneficiary list (just a typed up sheet, not official document in her file) was set up 40% me, 30% her brother, 10% my son, 10% my dd, and 2.5% each of my 4 step siblings.  Her will (2018) is set up 60% me, 30% her brother and 2.5% each of 4 step siblings.

Also, current will that lists SB as executor, has her brother as alternate. Trying to decided if we should leave him as alternate. Again, my concern is his age. At some point in the near future (as he's nearing his 80's) he will end up in nursing care, himself. I do not see it a good idea to have him as potential executor. Thinking of just putting my DD as alternate. She'd probably do better at it than me, haha.

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a meeting with a neutral party, by fee, to help with her financial planning might make sense. That is a lot of money-a $1,000,000 estate, and someone that can talk with her about what she wants to leave for a legacy, with no one telling her what they think is best, but can protect her wishes. It may be expensive, but could save many headaches later. Plus, it keeps it directly out of your influence so that no one cn say you were leading the ddcions. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through this with my mom and to my infinite regret, she died without signing the new will, so we had to go back to the prior version, which was not terribly different but it required probate and was an overall PITA.

    As far as executor/back-up executor: I'd suggest your DD as back-up. She certainly sounds mature enough to manage in the event you are unable to take care of this yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so much to handle. if your mom would agree I would have her will redone with you as executor and your daughter as the back up. If she would agree I would also see if she would leave the distribution to you and your daughter. Sounds like you would kind of be the only one who would actually do as she asks?.. As for Lifelock I say do it.... Its SO easy to be scammed these days regardless of age and your mom is prey to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were you I would make an appt to see an Elder Care Lawyer and have her will redone with these changes. You need to be the primary one to inherit her money. Her brother does not need to get $300,000. You are the one caring for her and enabling her to have a stress-free life. You are fine right now but if you were to become sick in later years that money might be a lifechanger for you. Your daughter should be the backup executor. Lifelock is an excellent idea. Also sign her up for the USPS service that sends a copy of her arriving mail to her email each day so that you will be aware of important or suspicious mail as it arrives. A caregiver to help her with laundry is an excellent idea as she won't be able to remember to start or finish it as the time goes on. I had to do a lot of this with my mom and the more you can get done now the better it is especially for changing her will. As she suffers more from dementia it might make it impossible for you to change her will as she will be deemed incompetent. The same for designating the beneficiaries on her IRA. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any suggestions for anything else, but her brother shouldn't be an heir in my opinion. At his age he's too old. He might not outlive her. People don't usually leave anything to elderly siblings unless there are special reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are concerned that you may be influencing her, pay the money and get an elder law attorney r a paralegl (my sister in law works for such a firm) to sit down with her one on one and have the conversatio about what there isnow and what if anything she wants to change. they are trained to have these kinds of discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, get a neutral party/elder lawyer involved. Set up a meeting for your mom with them & then they can help her though setting up. You need to be non-influential either way. My in-laws left $6 Million to their 3 boys. My husband was the one who got them in to see the lawyer who set up their distribution, etc, but stayed out of it so that the brothers didn't accuse him of anything. He was also the executor, but didn't take the fees that you can claim as handling it - since they were each getting a nice chunk of money. But..........it took him almost 2 years to settle everything. Not an easy task, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you take her to a lawyer they will probably want documentation that she is of sound mind and it sounds as though she is early stage Alzheimer’s. If she wanted her brother to have $ that is her business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One other thought, what about a trust + the will? My mom had me as a joint owner on all the bank accounts, so they didn't need to go in the trust, but the house did need to. According to her lawyer, the trust can prevent probate & you can still make money bequests. (The will itself can be for anything else, like furniture, jewelry, etc.) You can even call a elder lawyer that you might have her use & they can give you the details on the differences between will and trust.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com
    Whatsapps +1-(551) 356-3808 (WhatsApp Only)

    ReplyDelete