Sunday, December 23, 2018

It's just time

The news on DH's parent's seem to change almost daily. I guess MIL had a really bad episode with her dementia again, on Friday night, where she got very violent (again). SIL said the care home called 911, which I guess they got in trouble for, as they were supposed to call hospice? Then last night they found out that MIL is nearing the end and her body is starting to shut down now and they are guessing about a week left to live. They now have her pretty much sedated. So, now FIL is very very upset and depressed. He blames himself because he thinks if he wouldn't have gone in for that heart surgery and the complications from it, she would have been fine (which isn't the case at all), I guess because he thinks then he still would have been able to take care of her. He said he wanted to go first. Which for the rest of us, we see it would be better the other way...because she won't make it with out him.

Her body and her brain are just not working any more. It's time for her to shed her earthly body and have her soul in heaven. It 's just time for them. I do not see him living much more than a few more weeks after she is gone. He will be too heartbroken.

Friday we went out to dinner with our friends we used to live across the street from in town. It was really nice to see them again and visit for awhile. They have kids and grandkids and for the first time they will be all by themselves on Christmas Day, so she is pretty bummed (they are all going to in-laws and girlfriends) . They invited us over for the afternoon for snacks and more visiting on Christmas Day, so that is probably what we will do, after we have brunch with our current neighbors.

We've had a very lazy day today. Just slept in. DH's sis has been emailing him a bunch of old pictures of their parents, so he's been looking through those. He's put together a nice little picture video of his mom and dad.

I started watching The Sound of Music on my ipad this afternoon, but then got sleepy and took a short nap.  I think for diner we will have Stouffer's lasagna, but instead of heating it in the microwave I'm going to bake it in the toaster oven. I ran out of books to read - again! Everything I have tried to download through the library is having to be on a hold/wait list. There are two that I am next on the list for, so I'm hoping they get released soon. The library lets e-books be borrowed for 21 days, but I always try to be courteous and "return" the books I have borrowed, when I finish early and know it is one that has a wait list. I just don't let them sit in my "bookshelf" for the whole 21 days and then go back automatically.



5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your in-laws. But like you said, it is time. Was your MIL admitted to hospice? For some reason, I was thinking it was your FIL who was put on hospice.

    I love The Sound of Music. It is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, last weeend we were told it was FIL who would need hospice and they sent him home from ER. then a few days later SIL moved them into the adult care home. Then apparently MIL has started going downhill fast. We were told Fil has congestive heart failure but he hasn't gotten to the point where his body is shutting down yet. My understanding is the hospice care will be done at the adult care home they are living at now.

      Delete
    2. They should be able to get hospice where they are living now. Sad, but as we all know, it's all part of the cycle of life.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear your news and it always seems harder around Christmas time doesn't it. But as you say, "there is a time". When my dad died it really was a relief (he said so himself just before he died) and he is now at peace. My mom went so quick she wouldn't have known anything about it. But still "mom is mom" isn't she. Blessings to you at Christmas. Anna

    ReplyDelete