Thursday, March 23, 2017

Just this and that

With having Monday off, this week has gone by quickly. DH got a hold of the company he ordered the trailer tarp and parts from. I guess one of the poles was not broken, as he first thought. They are sending him the correct tarp and another part he needs that goes with that tarp. He asked how they wanted him to send back the wrong tarp and they said just keep it.  So, I suggested selling it on Ebay! of course that will not happen. It'll get hoarded with all the other stuff he never uses....sigh....

The weather was dry (though overcast) and in the low 50's yesterday so DH went out and did some yard work. There is a "dirt area" a couple of feet wide all along the back of the house, but it was up against the siding of the house in one area and too low in another so he shoveled into a wheel barrow and moved it and raked it. We'll probably put some shrubs in. Of course now he's totally sore and tired and will have to take a couple of days to rest.

I haven't been able to get him going on my building projects yet. He did go talk to a guy down the road who has some lumber laying out (covered sorta) that he apparently sells, but it's kinda wet and DH decided it wouldn't be good for what he is building. He really needs a table for his saw in order to make all these upcoming projects easier and I don't think he's figured out which one he wants yet.

For the past week or so he's taken up reading, which he has never/rarely done. Non-fiction and history type books. He's on his second book now, a historical account of a local guy from our area back in the late 1800's. A friend of DH's now owns the ranch that this "mountain man" settled, so he was interested in reading the book. 

I love that he is reading (not sure how long that will last) but of course he wants to buy the books. Even though I'm always reading something, I rarely buy books. It would just be too expensive. When we were at DD's this past weekend he picked up my ipad mini (which I use for social media and reading borrowed from the library e-books) and saw how big the Facebook posts and pictures were to read and look at compared to him always using his tiny iphone. DD has decided to get him an ipad mini for combo birthday/Father's Day gift. I'm hoping that way I can download for him books he might want to read, rather than purchasing them. I don't mind buying some books, but usually it's after I've read it and know it's something I just loved and would like to have. I do want to start up a library of sorts when we have our new house (and bookcases!) but plan to try to find used copies of the books I want, for the most part. At least now I can add a book or two as a Christmas gift idea for him. The funny part is he has to turn the tv down when he's reading, yet all these years I've had to read with him having the tv on. LOL. At least he's taking a break from watching the political news all day.

Tonight is book club and I read the book a few weeks ago and haven't even really looked at the questions. Guess that is what I will be doing for a lunch break today.


10 comments:

  1. Good on DH for reading....enjoy it while it lasts.
    I like a good history too.

    I've given up on watching national broadcast news as it just makes me angry. The local news broadcasts are enough for me....lots of convenience store robberies, house fires and interstate accidents to keep me entertained. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he only watches Fox and occasionally the local news, mostly for the weather :)

      Delete
    2. At least he isn't watching fake news! Fox all the way! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL! Definitely. He'll watch c-span too on occasion. Every once in awhile he'll switch over to one of the others and you just sit there in disbelief listening to them report on the exact same thing.

      Delete
  2. I am with you about books - I have a no buying policy unless it is for homeschool of which I can resell easily. I would love if my DH would read. For now, I am settling for the books on cd he listens to in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess listening is better than nothing, right?!

      Delete
  3. Garage sale season isn't too far off...it can be a good way to add books to your up and coming library for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me curious how many will do garage sales in this tiny town. There is a neat old used bookstore a couple of tiny towns over that is fun to look through. One of these days, when I have extra time, I want to stop at the Goodwill in the city and look around. It looks like a good sized one and probably has books.

      Delete
  4. As the oldest of five children, and mother of three children, I do not need quiet to read. The house can fall down and I can read and comprehend. I have not read a book in two years because of my eyes. Even fixing my eyes did not fix them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so tough not to be able to read anymore. Do you listen to audiobooks?

      Delete