Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Gift cards

I'm sitting here with an envelope full of various gift cards! $317.55 in gift cards! I have Visa/MC type and Target gift cards. One of my gift cards is a MC with $21.54 left on it. Kinda hard to use, unless you use it in store and tell them first apply this $21.54 to my total owing and then use another card or cash to pay balance. No way to use it online (that I know of) unless I'm buying something that exact amount or less.

I decided to use that little card to just go ahead and buy the book I am reading for the neighbor's book club, so I can read it in ebook format. It was $13.99 everywhere. I have the Nook app (because I only use my ipad mini now) on my ipad, so that I still have all those books downloaded to my Nook available that I had either purchased or downloaded for free. I used the gift card to buy it and now I still have $7.55 left on that card. Now, I can read at a better font size and get into this book :)

I haven't exactly decided what I'm going to use all the cards for. I think I might just buy a new vacuum (like a Dyson) at Target and apply them all towards that. We just haven't been into the city to shop for awhile, so haven't bothered to think about it much.


10 comments:

  1. I purchase Amazon gift certificates with those odd amount visa gift cards. Then load them to your own account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very good idea. So, say I have a visa gift card with $28.66 left on it, I can purchase an Amazon for same amount? just trying to figure out how to use them online when they are odd amounts.

      Delete
    2. OK, I just figured it out! you can purchase an amazon egift card for any amount over .50 so I just purchased one for $7.55 balance left on my visa gift card and emailed it to myself. Nice!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what it is about gift cards but I have a hard time spending them. I'm the same way when I get those $10 off any item type of cards from stores like Kohls. I think it comes down to wanting to get the biggest bang I can from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have a hard time spending them, but just can't figure out what to do with these partial small leftover balance visa type. I think I'll make sure I spend the even dollar ones I have all at once, so I'm not left with a balance on them to then spend.

      Delete
  3. I have a Dyson. I love, love it! Worth every penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I going to get. Everyone seems to really like them

      Delete
  4. actually I find it easy to use gift cards online. just ordered something from Macy's that was more than the gift card so used the gift card and my debit card for the balance. super easy as they do give you options at checkout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that option works with store gift cards, but I haven't figured it out for visa type gift cards. If my balance is $25 and I have a $10 visa gift card and try to pay with that first, it declines because there isn't enough on it to cover the purchase. If you have figured out a way, let me know! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. now that you mention it that is the way I have been doing it as I seldom get prepaid visa or mc gift cards. I will have to experiment the next time I get one.

    ReplyDelete