Saturday, February 25, 2017

Trees and clubs

My new Christmas tree arrived. Of course I made DH set it up for me - to see what it looks like, how it goes together, and make sure the lights work. I love it! Super easy to assemble. Took us like 5 minutes. It's in 3 sections. Just add each section, pull down the branches (I didn't take the time to spread them all out, since we were putting it back in the box right away). Plug in each section to the section below and plug in socket. Voila'. Instant Christmas tree.

I'm excited because my previous tree? Every. Single. Branch. had to be inserted (color coded) into the pole. It was a pain in the butt, for sure and took just as long to take apart. I'm looking forward to next Christmas 😀😀😀


I attended my first book club meeting. Very fun! There were 7 of us total. I, of course, can't remember everyone's name. I was good the first couple of people and then all of a sudden I was introduced to like 3 at one time and forget it. I got added to their email list, so I am hoping to piece some names together that way! Apparently they haven't met since last October. Nov and Dec was holidays during the week they meet each month, and January was just too much snow. They ended up  not discussing their January book (that I didn't read) because they all said they hated it LOL.

We spent the first 45 minutes or so just hanging out in host's (my property neighbor) kitchen, chatting and getting food ready. A potluck style meal was then done at the dining table (good thing she has a big one!). There were a couple of salads, some yummy soup, a meat and cheese tray and a couple of desserts. A bottle of wine and some various non-alcoholic beverages. I think only a couple of the ladies drank wine. We ate our meal and they chatted about various things and I answered questions about myself off and on. Then after eating we discussed the book we all read. (they used the book club questions at end of the book). Then they discussed the books they have on their list to read and picked March and April's books. All in all it was a 3 hour deal! Next month the woman that is in charge of leading the discussion (she seems to be the organizer of the club) will host it. I'd love to host some time, but my house is pretty small if a big group decided to show up (they said usually anywhere from 3-12 show up). I could comfortably handle 6 or 7 in my tiny abode - and we'd have to eat off plates sitting in the living room, as my dining table really only seats 4, 6 at the max (and that is crowding it a bit).

Thankfully, the next 2 books to read were available an e-books though the library, so I do not have to purchase them. It appeared those that were there read via various sources. Looks like a couple had purchased books, a couple had library books and a couple had e-books/e-readers. At least now I'll for sure always have something to read.


6 comments:

  1. Maybe you could do a summer meeting and be outside for a picnic kind of meal. This sounds like a fun way to get to make som enew friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! We have a picnic table (left here by previous owners) and also a smaller picnic table (a bench that folds out to a picnic table). A nice summer evening meeting would be fun.

      Delete
  2. Awesome about the tree. I have had both kinds and the "each branch" think is exactly as you said "a pain..." It'll be Christmas before you know it. The book club sounds interesting. I have several going but end up blogging and gaming (Tropical Farmville) and mainly end up doing Audios in the car or while doing laundry and ironing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you commented! I was trying to find your new blog and couldn't remember what it was! I have marked it now :) I used to listen to audio books when I commuted - I so miss listening to those, but find I can't concentrate on listening to one unless I'm in the car.

      Delete
  3. what are the titles of the next books you have to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner. This is the March book, so I am reading first. I'm not loving it, but finally the two story lines are starting to tie together, so it's getting a little more interesting. More of a light read, I'd say, which I think they picked because last month wasn't so much. (All the Light We Cannot See). The other book is called Wonder by R. J. Palacio. I have no idea what this one is about.

      Delete