Friday, May 31, 2013

Family resemblance

A cousin of my mom and uncle emailed my uncle a family photograph he had come across of my mom, 2 uncles and my grandparents. From the kids ages it looks to be taken around 1947, when my mom was about 6 years old. It is a color photograph - did they even have color photographs back then? Maybe it was colored later? It's an old picture, so of course scanned a bit grainy, but it came through when my mom forwarded it to me as a fairly large picture, so I can see all their faces very close up.

I was stunned at the resemblance between my grandmother and my daughter! My grandma would have been about 29 in this photo. While I have seen photos of her in her younger days, they are all black and white and not very close up at all. Plus, I have pretty much only known my grandma since she's been gray haired and wrinkley, of course.  But in this photo, she is a young woman, with long past shoulder length hair. She isn't smiling completely, sort of a MonaLisa smile, with her mouth open and teeth showing (like a bit of the small overbite DD has). While DD always smiles in pictures, she has a way of not closing her mouth completely when she is just relaxed, like sitting using her laptop or watching tv. My grandma in this picture looks just like this, the shape of their mouth is exactly the same. Their eyes look so much the same too, as well as the shape of their face.

I'm so glad I was able to get a copy of this picture to have :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment