Monday, December 19, 2022

A busy Sunday

I got a text this morning from mom's caregiver that both she and the other caregiver are sick. I called mom at 7:35 (she was still in bed, as usual) to tell her it's time to get up and get dressed to get downstairs to breakfast at 8am. And she did, so that was a relief. K did say that she has 2 new hires starting next week, so then she'll have better coverage if someone is out sick.

We got a couple or so inches of snow last night, so it will be a plowing day for dh. I've noticed now that Mrs is retired, Mr doesn't have to get out there at 5 or 6 am to plow their driveway so she can go to work. I'll bet he likes that, haha.

I got my rosette cookies made yesterday. The first several are a bust. I had kind of forgotten the technique, since last year was the first time I made them. I forgot I needed to have something to blot the oil covered hot iron on before dipping into the batter and to also hold it in the batter a few seconds. Then I was good to go and made a bunch. I have some leftover Christmas "goody" boxes I had got from Amazon last year, so later this morning I will put some of both cookies in 2 boxes to take over to the neighbors. 

We also had a visit from our retired friend yesterday, so I set out a plate of cookies and he had a couple. I just decided to do that, rather than make up a box for him to take. I didn't have the rosettes made yet and I'm being selfish in that I really don't want to have to make another batch of sugar cookies, LOL.

I also got all my presents wrapped yesterday afternoon, so one more thing checked of the to do list. DD and SIL plan to be here Friday afternoon. I also have Friday off, so that will give me time to get last minute things done. I'm trying to decide when to make the pumpkin pie. I'll probably just make it Christmas eve morning, or maybe I'll make it Friday. I'm also trying to decide what to have for dinner Friday and Christmas eve, with dd/sil here. I think I'll do spaghetti Christmas eve, but not sure what to make Friday. Christmas day will be the full turkey dinner and we can have that for leftovers Monday and then they will be leaving Tuesday. I kind of wish I had taken at least taken Thursday or even Wed and Thurs off this week, but I have payroll to do on Thursday, so decided not to. I do have all next week off. But, it would have been nice to have some time to relax and prepare at the same time. 

The weather report for later this week just keeps flopping back and forth. Now were back to -26 for Thursday. Must be something coming down from the north, that's usually when it gets super cold. At least it's only supposed to be for a couple days, then up to lows of 30.

Are you ready for Christmas?

10 comments:

  1. We have cold but then the warm up starting next Monday, if the reports are accurate. I like your thinking on cookies. No need to load everyone up if it saves you making more. I've really cut back this year. I forget. Are you getting your mom, or visiting her at her place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to do the one night visit, like I did with Thanksgiving. We are going to go pick her up later Christmas morning and take her back the next day.

      Delete
  2. Wow, -26! Here in Fl we are going down to 29 next Monday and 30 for a few nights. A lot of people have fireplaces and will be happy. We leave what is considered house plants out all year, so I will have to cover them on the cold nights. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our forecast has been changing too-every day is getting colder. -50 over here on Wednesday. We haven’t been that cold in years. I was going to bring my chickens in, but Dh has come up with a plan. Not sure what we are going to do with the geese yet. I think they will be fine, but they are 23 years old now, so what they could handle 20 yrs ago isn’t the same today. Our barn cat will be coming in. My dd is stopping after work to get him in because he does not like to be picked up so I’m not carrying that big fat cat to the basement lol. This has been a crappy winter so far-maybe it will chase some of the people from California back to where they came from!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - dh told me over near Havre, MT its -50. Dang! I hope all your animals will be ok. I'm hearing other locals make the same comment that hopefully it chases the people who moved here back out, LOL. Someone in the building/realtor industry once told us he sees a 2 year lifespan with them - the move here thinking its all like in the tv and after the second winter they sell and move.

      Delete
    2. I’m not anywhere near havre. That’s a cold cold part of the state lol. Did you see the sign someone was holding at the grizzly game a couple weeks ago? It was so funny. It said Yellowstone is just a tv show. Don’t move here. Lol. Bozeman has been called Bozeman California for over 20 years, but now they’ve found the rest of the state! I avoid Bozeman at all cost. I have always hated going there. The people are just rude. Many years ago my kids and I were walking into target. I was carrying my youngest. The guy in front of us let the door shut right in our face, and my oldest turned to me and said people here are so rude. That would never happen where we live. She was right, but that tells you how bad it is over there if a little kid noticed.
      Diane

      Delete
  4. Not ready, just dusted, vacuumed and mostly decluttered. I have two presents to wrap which I will do tonight. We are having our friend, Lynda, over Wednesday night. So, mostly ready.
    I like your idea to hold back on cookies so you don't have to bake so many batches. Having to go get your mother does give you less time, plus working all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get Friday off, which is helpful at least. I'm doing good not munching on the cookies. It helps keeping them in a container, LOL.

      Delete
  5. I am going to make chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon rolls (my sister's favorite) for our New Year get together. I like eating cookies more than making them so, I understand why you do not want to keep on baking.

    ReplyDelete