Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Take that, scammer

F-ing phone scammers. I checked in on mom camera this morning and hear/see she is on the phone, obviously with some scammer. I got online with her telephone call log and they called from one number at 9:15 and apparently had been on with her almost 15 minutes by the time I turned the camera on. Somehow they got disconnected and he called right back from a different number. I heard her say a couple times "now, this is when I really need to to talk to my daughter, she handles this". then something about "30%? and when does it start?". 

Do you know what I ended up doing? haha! I have her cable/phone/tv provider's app on my phone. I reset her modem and it disconnected the call, LOL. Then I called her when it reset. She was like I was just trying to call you and told me about some guy named Paul Smith (uh huh) on the phone. She's not sure what about, something about her tv. Like dd said, she doesn't have her credit card or checks anymore, so all's that's happening is she's wasting their time, LOL. I said that's true! the guy just wasted 25 minutes talking to an old lady with Alzheimer's thinking he might have something. Plus, even if she does remember her SS#, I have her set up on LifeLock for a million dollars ID theft protection, plus I have her credit froze.And if he does call her back he'll have to start over because she won't remember she talked to him, haha!

Dh's urologist office/dr is so strange. He will tell dh the month he wants him to come back, but they are never making appt's that far out and will call to set up the appointment. We were there in June and he said he wanted him back in Sept to do another biopsy. They called last Wednesday at like 5:30pm. I was busy and couldn't get the phone. I called back Thursday and then whoever I talked to said "oh, I see he needs a biospy, I need to check his schedule and call you back". No call back. I called yesterday and explained what I was told Thursday and she was like "well, that is strange, I don't know why you would have been told that". Then she brings up dh's chart and says that the doctors notes from last visit say come back in 4 months, so now it's October, LOL. They did the same thing last time. Oh well, at least the appointment is made. 

My employer recently announced they are only doing our 401k match this year and not the profit sharing contribution. So, there basically goes half the raise I just got. This is the first, since they started doing the profit sharing piece (years ago) that they have never done it. 

Our propane is paid twice a year, but with how it works out, the payments are only about 2 months apart, so big hits close together. Last year I started putting aside money each month in one of my Capital One savings sub accounts for this. I did pretty good. Last month I just paid our summer fill up that was $600. Next month I have to pay our winter contracted amount of $1150 in full. I put the $600 on my cash back card and got $12 back. Then I transferred $600 from the propane savings account to my checking and paid the credit card. By the time this is due next month I will have $650 in my propane savings, short $500, but my "general" savings account has enough to cover the shortage, so nothing needs to be taken out of my regular monthly budget. I do need to start upping my monthly propane savings amount, though, so I am closer to what it will cost next year.

I see FedEx is delivering my new floor lamp today. It originally said not until Thursday. Once I see it, I may end up using it in my living room, haha, and putting that floor lamp upstairs instead.

Still no heavy equipment has shown up next door. I don't know if it's just coincidence (like maybe the guy he hired to haul it over here had to reschedule to a different day) or if it's because they got the letter and decided not to ....


8 comments:

  1. I suppose the scammer's call has/had not lasting distress or worry for your mother since she won't remember. It's too bad all calls don't go that way so no one is scammed. The guy cannot make a living this way. Too bad.
    I got a call today that my security on my computer had been renewed today. Well, I did that two weeks ago. Then, the person said it had been renewed for three years and that $300 would come out of my account tomorrow. THEN, if I disagreed to...I hung up because they want you to press one if I did not make the charge. I have been through this before and they want me on the phone to verify my personal information and cc so someone can use it illegally. I have friends who still get upset and give out info. However, I will check with bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very sneaky about getting info, especially from the elderly. While I was listening to mom talk with the guy, she didn't seem too upset (just confused). I was the one getting upset, LOL. When I clicked on reset her modem from the app, I was like "take that!" haha.

      Delete
  2. Those scammers are the worst. I just read about an 87 year old Canadian woman being scammed out of 10k, she sold off her jewelry etc as she thought her grandson was in trouble. It's so sad. As for your workplace, they ought to be ashamed. They did well during the pandemic but instead of rewarding employee loyalty they remove profit shares, smh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, in my opinion the company should cut way back on "stupid" spending (as I all it) and first make sure employees benefits are covered.

      Delete
  3. How much do you want to bet "Paul Smith" had an Indian accent? I have watched quite a few Youtube videos where computer whiz guys take down these scammers and they all seem to be coming from call centres in India! They're actually quite fun to watch! And who knows, your mom sounds like the ideal person for them to be calling (wasting their time) and she probably thinks she's having a nice chat with a lovely young man. Win-win in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, one of the Youtubers is American and often pretends to be an elderly woman (he's a hoot), and then there is Jim Browning (obviously not his real name) from Northern Ireland who also does a wonderful job stopping these scammers!

      Delete
    2. Mom said he was hard to understand, so I'm sure he was Indian. I've seen a few youtube videos where a guy plays along with the scammers by sending them fake gift card numbers, or something like that, pretending to be an old lady. He was pretty funny - I think I might have gotten the link from your blog?! LOL

      Delete
    3. Oh here in Canada, they say they're calling from Revenue Canada etc, and give out a badge ID and everything. Indian folks can have names like Paul Smith but it's a shame scammers are so successful.

      Delete