Saturday, August 13, 2022

A nice gift and fire chat

Not much really went on yesterday, besides work. In the afternoon we had a huge weather change to clouds, thunderstorms, and rain. The electricity kept flickering and went off for a few seconds one time. My side job boss sent me a $200 Visa gift card. That was really nice surprise to receive in the mail. Every year on their company anniversary they have a party for their employees/the day off and give them something, so she sent me the gift card. I'm not sure what I'll spend it on, but I'm sure something will come up. 

Let's chat fireworks and fire for a few minutes. It's no secret I don't like fireworks. I don't much enjoy listening to them, especially for pets, but they are to be expected on July 4th....within reasonable limitations. I complained about the neighbors fireworks last summer. My only comment on my blog this summer on 4th of July was it was pretty quiet and we heard some for a little bit off in the distance when it got dark.

But for the prior summer, let's discuss those limitations

1. We live pretty much smack dab in the middle of a national forest. A Forest - as in flammable trees, underbrush and grasses everywhere surrounding us. We don't live in a city, we don't even live in a town.

2. Just our 2 acre piece of property has at least 100 trees on it (I lost count trying to count). The majority of these are full grown pine or fir trees. That's just our 2 acres. We're surrounded by trees.

3. We don't live where you can call 911 and the fire truck will be here within a few minutes. At a minimum they are 20 minutes. The average time they have told us it takes to get out to a fire in our area is 30 minutes. We live where the nearest volunteer fire department is 10 miles away. We are under no illusions that they will be able to be here in time to put out a fire. The other reality of our all volunteer fire dept is that many of the volunteers work outside of our county (so few jobs here), so those volunteers are not here to respond to a fire during normal work hours. Yes, of course there are some that will be able to respond during weekday work hours, but it's not a full group and it's mostly the older retired guys. A rural volunteer fire dept is not the same thing as taxpayer funded city/town fire departments.

4. July is in the middle of fire season. Last summer it was already a "high" fire danger situation by July. Nearly 1 million acres burned in our state in the summer of 2021, in about 50 separate fires.

5. Mr. Neighbor is an idiot when it comes to fire safety. He's already proven that prior by burning half the grass on his first lot by accident. I left to go see my mom one morning, come back a few hours later and pull into our street and see their lot #1 half black. I was like what in the world?! Go inside the shop to ask dh and he said, ya apparently Mr's little burn brush pile got away from him and he burned half his lot. Also not sure why he always burns on the windiest days, but yet he does.

6. It was not July 4th, it was July 2nd when they lit off all their fireworks (because that was more convenient for their schedule, so we got to listen to them on "their" day and then the normal fireworks on the actual 4th others set off you can hear in the distance)...in the middle of a forest, in the middle of fire season. No one should be stupid enough to think it's ok to let off any fireworks in the middle of a forest in the middle of fire season, but yet, they do.

So ya, we were none to happy about any of it. The potential of stray sparks catching grass, trees and structures on fire is nothing to mess around with when you live where we do. It's the reason our homeowners insurance is so high. It's the reason some insurance companies wouldn't even quote me. Neighbors may want to take a risk like that, we do not. Even if we did want to light off fireworks here at our home, dh would err on the side of caution and just not do it. After all, it's not just us to think about and put in danger.

Not having to deal with any of that, right next door, this past July 4th was a huge relief to us. If we want to go see fireworks we can go to the city to watch their display or go out to a neighboring town park, where they do it safely.

This was the view, standing on the edge of our property in summer of 2017, while earlier that same day we had stood outside talking to state forest officials who were assessing and trying to figure out how they were going to keep that fire from getting to our property and the homes (we didn't have our home yet, but neighbors did) along this road. We just happened to be driving by and saw them parked at our property, so we stopped to talk to them. Those "white" things in the front of this picture, that night, where we were standing...ashes and sparks from the fire, with the potential to still be hot enough to catch something else on fire according to the fire guys we talked to. That's what they were worried about.

So, I could really give a crap less about someone's opinion that I'm selfish and petty because I complain about fireworks. Or maybe educate me on why I'm thinking wrong for the area I live in. My first obligation is to my own home and family and then to that of my neighbors and we would never do anything to risk putting them in danger. Ever. Having fun doesn't mean the same thing where we live compared to living in a city or a place where there's nothing much around you to catch on fire.

26 comments:

  1. So many out of control fires get started by one little thing - fireworks, cigarettes, gender reveals! Not worth it to do when the area is so sensitive to fire. I'd be worried too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of the forest fires started around here are man caused due to carelessness. The other common reason is lightning strikes. Our homeowners insurance is not cheap here, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Gah! I LOATHE fireworks. (Though I did used to let my kids set them off on our farm.) They are loud, and dangerous. One year, it was very dry, too dry, really, but I let myself be persuaded to allow the celebration. The neighbors, who had far too many trees, asked if they could bring theirs over to set off in our field with us. Well, as a firework landed, it started a grass fire. THANKFULLY it was near one of the hoses we had set up--but Neighbor Mom had already stomped most of it out. Ask any E.R. nurse how they feel about fireworks. Also, here, in the North Sound, Fourth of July sounds like a war zone from about sunset until all hours. I've lived in a lot of places, but never anywhere where the fireworks are this insane! I would be perfectly happy for them to be banned in our country. I must admit, I DID love seeing them set off over the Panhandle in our FL home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know the war zone well, except where we lived (south sound) it was for a good 24 hours. Insane is right. I would be perfectly happy to have them banned, too.

      Delete
    2. *COUNTY* I would love to see them banned in our COUNTY, not country. When we first moved here, it was far less populated, and they weren't so insane.

      Delete
    3. My spell check doesn't seem to like me typing the word "county" for some reason. In any case, the closest city has banned private fireworks within its limits, but it isn't enforced...I mean, how could they? You KNOW how zany it is.

      Delete
  3. Funny you mention fires and fire trucks. I drove home from work last night and when I drive onto my street, I see at least 6 fire trucks. In front of my house. Blocking my driveway. Dragging their hoses from trucks through my gate and into my backyard. DH has not called or texted me, so I am having a moment of spiking panic that something has happened to HIM to cause this blockade. Nope. DH is fine and out in the backyard keeping an eye on the fire in the greenbelt behind our home and watching as the helicopter dumps buckets of water, some of which lands in our backyard. The fire got to within 20 yards of our back fence and was well under control, but still unsettling. The fire was on state park land and started by a couple of homeless people setting off - you guessed it - large fireworks. In August in northern California where everything is brown and dead. No damage to homes or property, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that must have been scary! No helicopter here, unless they bring them in for a huge forest fire. I'm glad your home wasn't damaged and no one was hurt.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you absolutely. I think more and more here in France there is a push to pretty much ONLY have public firework displays - I found this Bastille Day (14 July) to be really quiet. Particularly given the weather we're having here it is just too dangerous. Heck my neighbour's son was weed-whacking near their hedge a few years ago and it went up in a split second thanks to a spark flying. Thankfully it is right opposite my garage and I was able to get my garden hose out and start damping it down, but in actual fact it took another neighbour and his extinguisher to get the better of it before the fire brigade arrived. One time also my other neighbour decided to do a burn on my property (we were away in the States) and thought it a good idea to throw some petrol on there to "get it going". The only thing that got going was the hair on his legs and he was VERY lucky not to be more seriously burned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbor is not the smartest when it comes to stuff like that, that's for sure. He doesn't even know which end is up on his ladder, LOL. We don't trust him one iota to do anything related to fire and fireworks safely.

      Delete
  5. Do you and your neighbors rely on the fire engines to carry water to a fire (no hydrants)? Sorry for my dumb question, I've never lived in a rural area. When I've shopped for insurance quotes there is always a question asking how far is the nearest hydrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not a dumb question at all. That is correct - there are no fire hydrants out here, so they have to bring the water on the truck. For insurance purposes we are a class 10, the highest rating for fire danger, in my understanding of how they rate it.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you are complaining again, wanting to deny people the freedom to have fun even if they burn your house down. Hey, I was accused of being a wet blanket when I did not want kids next door starting a fire amidst dry leaves in the backyard. All the houses were 100years old and wooden. Yes, I complained bitterly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony is the ones that don't like my complaining probably complain in their lives just as much as I do - it's just that it's only ok if I'm complaining about what they agree with. Fires can get away from you so quickly. Even when dh burns one in our fire pit surrounded by rocks he has a hose at the ready.

      Delete
  7. They ran fire hydrants on our road a couple years ago as part of the deal when a small manufacturing plant went in about 5 miles from here. They wanted city water so they ran it from town, and added hydrants. I thought that might lower or homeowners, but it didn’t. We are also served by a volunteer fire department, but close enough to town that they’d respond if needed. That waterline is a nice backup plan if our wells out here ever run dry too. Our homeowners insurance is also very high due to the risk of fire.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all on individual wells, too. They want to add another rural fire "station" about 5 miles from us. They tried to sell it as it would lower our insurance, but it won't. It will just raise our property taxes and they won't get here any sooner and don't have enough volunteers anyway, and the one's that have training/volunteer do not work their day jobs anywhere close to here to respond quickly.

      Delete
  8. I live in a Midwestern city and the firework situation is out of control. A couple of years ago, some kids were shooting off bottle rockets and they landed on the top of a small grocery store/deli. It burned the stored down and they had to demolish the whole thing. I don't remember if the caught them. That evening there was a local news reporter riding with the fire fighters and they were able to film the fire. It was so sad to loose a local family run business. I think now it's an empty lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our little town banned them in town (smart) but in my opinion it should be a county wide ban.

      Delete
  9. Isn't being appreciated nice? I too like fireworks for a short show right on the 4th, but where so can keep pup safe. It's plain reckless to do as you've described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember last summer when neighbors were doing their fireworks dh had gotten his hoses out and on the ready, just in case.

      Delete
  10. Fireworks are legal here, and there’s no noise ordinances, so people can just shoot them off as late as they want. This year we didn’t have any neighbors doing them, but in years past we have, but they mostly quit around 11 or 11:30. In town people go til we’ll after midnight which kinda sucks for people that need to get up and work in the morning. Fireworks do nothing for me. I didn’t even like them as a kid really. But I know others do, and that’s fine. However I don’t see the point of firecrackers at all. All they do is make noise.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got so I despised the fireworks where we lived for 25+ years. It turned into an M-80 war zone for a good 24 hour period. It would finally end around the time you'd need to get up for work the next morning.

      Delete
  11. We are also in a protection class 10 for our insurance (your post made me go take a look!), so I completely understand about how expensive it is. Some people around us seem to think that because we are on a lake it is fine to set off fireworks. Um...can't they see all the trees? Why can't they be happy watching the professional fireworks? I simply don't understand the mentality. I'm not anti-fireworks...providing they are left for the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what those fire officials told us, but they told us how far a spark can travel and cause a new fire. It was a good long distance because I remember my jaw dropped.

      Delete
  12. In the UK we are just beginning to educate ourselves on hot weather/drought behaviour. We are in the middle of our second very short, very sharp heatwave with temperatures well into the nineties and hundreds. Our local reservoir is emptier than its been for years. The parks and woodland areas are bone dry. Our firemen and women are exhausted by numerous callouts to houses and picnic sites where someone has thought it a brilliant idea to buy and use a disposable BBQ. The supermarkets are now being asked to stop selling them. Because this weather is such a novelty for us nothing definite is in place yet. My Australian friend lives in a hot dry state - they are fully educated in measures to minimise risk and keep their houses cool, keeping their curtains closed during the day. We still throw all our curtains open first thing in the morning, saying "What a beautiful day! Lets have a barbecue!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's hard to change when everyone is used to doing life in a certain way. The summer forest fires have always been here, but now that they can't log and thin out the trees and undergrowth it's just ripe to go up in flames, and it does. Just from the little bit of thunder and lightning we had Friday there were 2 wildfires started in our county.

      Delete