Saturday, August 20, 2022

Delayed again

I left this morning just before 9am to go to the city and visit with mom and then pick up groceries. I also needed to stop at Target and return a floor lamp I had ordered from them online that was very poor quality and decided not to keep. I went there first and was out of there in minutes and over to my mom's about 9:50. I had just decided to wait and tell her I was coming this morning, when I saw (from camera notification) she was back from breakfast. I had thought about calling her last evening to tell her, but there's really no point, she wouldn't remember.

Her apartment was already 80 degrees and even she was sweating. I said we have to turn the a/c on and  the first time she commented "are you cold?" I said, no I'm still warm, so we're going to leave it on a little longer. Just too dang hot to sit there almost an hour and half in that heat. When I first got there I asked her if she needed anything at the store? We could take a little drive a few blocks over to Walgreens. She couldn't think of anything and we discovered she still had cookies and she also had several snacks (cookie, muffin, etc) in her fridge from the snack bar in the dining room. I said ok, I just thought you might want to get out for a bit, but she didn't seem to want to, so I didn't push it.

When I was using her bathroom I looked into her hamper. Pretty full. Then I looked in her dresser to make sure she had undies to change into - none. I'm like what the heck? She has like 20 pair - or at least enough for more than 2 weeks, that I know. So, I texted the caregiver to ask if mom was letting her do her laundry? and she said yes, weekly but mom wants to be the one to put it away. Well, while I was waiting for her to text back I went and looked in her hamper. All mixed type of clothes but on the very bottom was a complete pile of undies. I'm fairly certain she saw them in the laundry basket, thought they were dirty and threw the whole bunch Liz washed back into her hamper! I told Liz this is what I think must have happened, as this big group all underneath the misc clothes (like you'd see from changing daily) looked clean. I went ahead and put several back in her drawer and texted Liza back what I think mom did and that I guess she's going to have to be the one to make sure the clean clothes get put away, now.

I mentioned the 2 caretakers to mom and that I was texting L about the laundry to check with her. Mom did not even know who I was referring to. I said L & C, one of them comes by every evening to make sure you get your pills and weekly laundry. Still no clue. Then I said L is bald (from cancer recovery) and also has a bit of a German accent. Mom says I don't know - maybe she moved out? I said no, she just works here....

And then I got a text at 10:50 that my Walmart pick up order was delayed. So, I stayed at mom's until 11:20, still no order update. So, I left and went to Lowe's because dh had texted me he was out of some 55 gallon garbage can liners. Then I got to Walmart at 11:35. Order still not ready - I didn't get my order for another HOUR! I was so mad. I guess I'll start reserving my time slot an hour earlier than I really want it, so I can get it at the right time. Geez! I didn't get home until 1:30 - starving and had to pee really bad! Again, I didn't bring a snack or something to tide me over for lunch because I had planned on getting home by noon or 12:15.

 

6 comments:

  1. It seems like your mother's memory is getting worse. Too bad. I imagine that your mother became cold from sweating and then sitting in ac. When Daddy was dying and we stayed a couple of days at their house, 80 was cold for him. In the winter the kids were so hot. We would all go on the tiny back porch and stand with tshirts on and breathe deeply. Imagine a weekend of sweating.
    I guess you will have to carry a snack, crackers or something to wait on the order from WM. That would annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the elderly are almost always cold. I remember my inlaws kept their house at least 80.

      Delete
  2. ( I'm back to Anne Brew - I'm Anne Bee on FB but it's just easier here to use my actual name! )
    Where was I? Oh! The frustration of waiting for deliveries and pickup times, eating into your precious free time.
    Yes, I think don't leave the house without your favourite food and drink and a good book. Nothing seems to arrive on time any more. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome "back" LOL. I definitely should have had a book with me. I thought about going to another store to browse, but I kept saying as soon as I leave they will text me it's ready.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry but I had to laugh at the clean undies story. My son actually did the same thing when he was a teenager - guess he was too lazy to put them away then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to find them and verify her laundry is getting done. It's getting harder to figure out what she's doing/thinking, that's for sure.

      Delete